Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last edited by Eagle_3203; 08-02-2016, 08:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Esco View Post
      Probably not for a long time. You might've missed the boat for a 5-6 years. Who knows. The last time it was open before now, was 2011.
      I remember that. Didn't they cancel that one? It was a nation wide one I believe.
      OUT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Eagle_3203 View Post
        Even during your first year flying? That sounds pretty good. I'm pretty conservative with spending so I'm be OK. I just hope the expensive locals do not kill me.
        I was living in DC at the time and was paying 1600 a month in rent. Toss in utilities, renters insurance, car payment, insurance, etc.... and its well over 2K a month easily. That was years ago. I can only imagine how much it costs to rent there now.

Yes, you can move out farther from your office and find cheaper places.

That said. When you get into town at 2200-2400 at night, have to drive an hour or so to get home and haven't eaten in a long damn time, then turn around and be back in early as hell (they don't care about your sleep) for your show time, it gets real old, real fast.

Oh, first year I was making upper 80s or so. Once again, that doesn't go far in DC or NYC areas.

Get on craigslist and look for APTs and what they are pricing them at to get a good idea of things.

Comment

• Originally posted by ignignokt373 View Post
          I was living in DC at the time and was paying 1600 a month in rent. Toss in utilities, renters insurance, car payment, insurance, etc.... and its well over 2K a month easily. That was years ago. I can only imagine how much it costs to rent there now.

Yes, you can move out farther from your office and find cheaper places.

That said. When you get into town at 2200-2400 at night, have to drive an hour or so to get home and haven't eaten in a long damn time, then turn around and be back in early as hell (they don't care about your sleep) for your show time, it gets real old, real fast.

Oh, first year I was making upper 80s or so. Once again, that doesn't go far in DC or NYC areas.

Get on craigslist and look for APTs and what they are pricing them at to get a good idea of things.
          He is not kidding. Unless you know where to live, you are going to have to commute a good distance to get to your job. Also, add traffic to your distance time and lack of sleep. It's going to be an uphill battle. You could live in SE DC (the most bang for your buck), Fort Washington, MD or Silver Spring, MD. If you are working out of Dullas, you could live in Leesburg, VA which is about 20 mins away. The rental market is reasonable for a one bedroom but you will be paying like 190000 for a 1100 sqft town house.
          Last edited by Radio Raheem; 04-18-2016, 05:23 PM.
          OUT!!

Comment

• You all must be living like some high rollers...I made 75k last year and I was able to buy a townhouse in southern maryland with a mortgage of 1800$ a month...and I'm not struggling..35 minute average commute to dc at 5am

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

Comment

• Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS)

So much exaggeration going on. 100k in DC is plenty of money to live in a decent place. I pay $1500 and live near the office. It's small, yes, but it's fine for me. And a great community. If you have a dual income, you can buy a decent house or town home in VA and not be crazy far away. Yes there are some 0430 show times, but not nearly every day. Not even once a week. But I will tell you, 430 is a hell of a lot better than 8-930 if you have to drive east to DCA. Delays are frequent, but not all the time, and usually not that bad. It sounds like there are a lot of disgruntled FAMs on this thread. It's a great job. Take it for what it is, be positive, and don't complain so much. You just bring everyone down with you when you do. Good luck to all the candidates!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by echat12; 04-19-2016, 04:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Usmc1586 View Post
                You all must be living like some high rollers...I made 75k last year and I was able to buy a townhouse in southern maryland with a mortgage of 1800$ a month...and I'm not struggling..35 minute average commute to dc at 5am
                My Apt. was in Crystal City area of Arlington. I could be at DCA in less than 10 mins or so and less than 45 mins to IAD if I cut thru.

I had guys/gals living clear the hell down South near Fredericksburg VA and the commute sucked for them when I95 got jammed up, even at Zero Dark Thirty.

Charles County? Not my cup of tea either with traffic out there.

Comment

• Originally posted by echat12 View Post
                  So much exaggeration going on. 100k in DC is plenty of money to live in a decent place.

Not sure what your idea of a decent place is but I like to have room for my stuff and live in a decent area so those few days I was off, I could get into town with ease on the Metro.

Originally posted by echat12 View Post
                  Yes there are some 0430 show times, but not nearly every day. Not even once a week.
                  Glad to see they changed things up there. When I was flying, it seemed like we were always in with early show times.

But I will tell you, 430 is a hell of a lot better than 8-930 if you have to drive east to DCA.
                  Good point as once anything after 7ish hits, its game on trying to get anywhere till close to 1000.

Delays are frequent, but not all the time, and usually not that bad.

Once again, glad to see some things changed. It seemed like we were always getting hemmed up in the big cities trying to make it back to DCA. ORD and EWR just plan suck and I still hate flying UA to this day.

It sounds like there are a lot of disgruntled FAMs on this thread.
                  The ones posting are former. Just me, if I was still flying, I'd be watching what I posted or not posting at all. Management seem to not be a big fan of active FAMS posting stuff, especially on this place.

Comment

You all must be living like some high rollers...I made 75k last year and I was able to buy a townhouse in southern maryland with a mortgage of 1800$ a month...and I'm not struggling..35 minute average commute to dc at 5am

PG County?

Comment

• Charles county

Comment

High rollin is the only way to live playa! Yeah, I know some parts of southern MD are an option for reasonable housing and easy commute to DC; however, most parts are not. I lived in the DC area for 14 years...I lived in NE DC, Mt. Rainier, MD, Upper Marlboro, MD, and Brandywine, MD. All of those posed a hefty commute so I don't know what Deloreon you were driving. Maybe it was because you were driving at 5am. Also I think those last positions that were open were for Chantilly...Dulles. Living in Southern MD would give you an hour commute without traffic.
                        OUT!!

Comment

Not sure what your idea of a decent place is but I like to have room for my stuff and live in a decent area so those few days I was off, I could get into town with ease on the Metro.

Glad to see they changed things up there. When I was flying, it seemed like we were always in with early show times.

Good point as once anything after 7ish hits, its game on trying to get anywhere till close to 1000.

Once again, glad to see some things changed. It seemed like we were always getting hemmed up in the big cities trying to make it back to DCA. ORD and EWR just plan suck and I still hate flying UA to this day.

The ones posting are former. Just me, if I was still flying, I'd be watching what I posted or not posting at all. Management seem to not be a big fan of active FAMS posting stuff, especially on this place.

Dude you are right. ORD is still bad. I don't know what these guys are talking about. I just flew out of there on Sunday. Flying in is fine. Flying out sucks.
                          OUT!!

Comment

My Apt. was in Crystal City area of Arlington. I could be at DCA in less than 10 mins or so and less than 45 mins to IAD if I cut thru.

I had guys/gals living clear the hell down South near Fredericksburg VA and the commute sucked for them when I95 got jammed up, even at Zero Dark Thirty.

Charles County? Not my cup of tea either with traffic out there.

I think people have just gotten used to that type of traffic. I remember when I lived in Mt. Rainier, it took me 45 minutes to get to Sargent rd. in Hyattsville, MD. It was only a two mile drive but it took 45mins! I thought nothing of this until I lived in a smaller town later on. People get used to it. When I lived in Brandywine it took an hour minimum to get to Andrews during rush hour. That was only six miles away. Branch Ave. was always packed.
                            OUT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Radio Raheem View Post
                              I think people have just gotten used to that type of traffic. I remember when I lived in Mt. Rainier, it took me 45 minutes to get to Sargent rd. in Hyattsville, MD. It was only a two mile drive but it took 45mins! I thought nothing of this until I lived in a smaller town later on. People get used to it. When I lived in Brandywine it took an hour minimum to get to Andrews during rush hour. That was only six miles away. Branch Ave. was always packed.
                              Glad I am out of that mess. I hate going to DC TDY. But, I do stay near a Metro Stop so I don't have to mess around with a rental.

Comment

• Any conditional offers yet.. just curious. We seemed to have gotten side tracked with living arrangements.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6631 users online. 395 members and 6236 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X