300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Retiredfedleo View Post
    The point is, it’s not even law enforcement. I used to work where I could read the daily incident reports (most were passengers urinating in vomit bags and that was the exciting stuff). FAMS and TSA are all smoke and mirrors. Not saying it to be rude but just first hand knowledge from working airports for 30 years…
    A lot will depend on where the applicant is in life. If he/she is on the outside looking to get in the door to a decent paying federal le gig then it’s not a bad choice but but there are some definite down sides. Does not seem a very good fit for family life and while it offers decent pay it falls behind other GS 12 and above federal LE positions. Full performance FAMS are compensated essentially at a GS 11 step 6 rate with LEAP. If I were a street applicant I would definitely take this position over any BOP or 0083 positions but there are many others I would prefer over this one. Can’t see many federal LEOs chomping at the bit to become a FAM unless they are in uncovered positions and/or lower graded positions.

Basically one should be aware of exactly what the job entails and what it is not..it’s not the tip of the federal LE spear (if there is even a tip these days) but you can make a living and possibly move on to a better position down the road if so desired.
    “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
    DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• Anyone know how long is the academy?

Comment

• Anyone get into the ready pool yet?

Comment

• 2september
          2september commented
          Editing a comment
          Yea I got mine awhile ago as well as a final offer

• Oliver102012
          Oliver102012 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good deal! Congrats! I’m there now, just waiting on the final offer.

• Those of you that got final offers, what is your academy date?

Comment

• USMC86
          USMC86 commented
          Editing a comment
          EOD September 13. 1 week at home and then off to NM/NJ the following week.

• Grey De Leon
          Grey De Leon commented
          Editing a comment
          USMC86 any idea of how many classes this year? The Sept class full?

• Oliver102012
          Oliver102012 commented
          Editing a comment
          EOD Sept 13th

• USMC86
          USMC86 commented
          Editing a comment
          Grey De Leon no idea how many classes this year.

• Ok cool, good luck and get in shape if you’re not already.

Comment

• 2september
          2september commented
          Editing a comment
          How does the fletc pt test work? Is it conducted first week there and if all passing scores no morning remedial pt like other agencies?

• Anybody else unvaccinated being forced to be fully vaccinated to go to training ??? Just trying to catch the air . Are you guys okay with this ???? Are the unvaccinated going to get vaccinated to get to train ??? And how will they be checking your status ? Anybody have anymore information on this please respond

Comment

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          Getting caught in a lie would make you unemployable in the LE field (Giglio). I think criminal charges would be less likely but who knows at this point.

• Exbpa340
          Exbpa340 commented
          Editing a comment
          Just tell them you identify as vaccinated. Seems to work for everything else.

Just kidding.

• Roninjin
          Roninjin commented
          Editing a comment
          Exbpa340 ,
          Criminal charges applies if you lie and then produced a fake vaccination card. Lying by itself isn't criminal but can be grounds for termination

• UCLA1998
          UCLA1998 commented
          Editing a comment
          If you’ve been vaccinated to attend grade school and college you shouldn’t have any issues.

• Just got the email about the mandated COVID vaccine to go to FLETC, and to be vaccinated before accepting a final offer.

Comment

• NYC1175
          NYC1175 commented
          Editing a comment
          Did it come from your agency or from FLETC?

• Grey De Leon
          Grey De Leon commented
          Editing a comment
          NYC1175 it came from TSA/FAM stating it was FLETC policy and they would be following it. And would not send out a final offer till I'm fully vaccinated for COVID19 prior to attending FLETC.

Short version yes its become a requirement now and I'm assuming it'll be the same for all other agencies that are sending agents to FLETC. I'm sure DOJ will be doing the same with their academies shortly now that its been FDA approved.

• A lot of people are going to have to make a decision. Either cave in and get the vaccine or forget federal LE and pursue state/local LE in a place that outlaws vaccine mandates.

Comment

• Wanted to come on here and add a post with it being the 20th anniversary of 9/11. Usually I post tips and things to expect through the process of becoming a FAM, but today I wanted to come on here and post about perspective knowing some new classes are about to start the process of becoming a FAM.

20 years ago this agency didn't exist. 20 years ago 9/11 changed air travel and changed the world. Some of you who are about to embark on FAM training will learn more about 9/11 than you ever knew. You'll carry around a badge daily on your job with symbols reminding you of this day.

You'll also be reminded by travel/leisure journalists, flight crews, Congress, and I'm sure even some former FAMS rolling their eyes at this post that your job isn't important since there's been no attacks since that day.

But it does matter. It matters because if a FAM ever stops even one attack it will make all the money the agency has ever spent worth it.

But I always viewed it as more. I remember one of my very first flights overseas. The lead flight attendant came up to every FAM and thanked us. She told me she was based out of Boston and knew every pilot and flight attendant on the flights that flew out of Boston on 9/11. She said "Every time I see you guys on my flights, I'm so thankful. I know you'll never let what happened to them happen to me, and it makes me so much more comfortable knowing you're here." That put it in perspective for me. It was something I always though when on a boring 14 hour flight sitting by the bathroom on a full flight, or watching drunk passengers act like idiots. Just remember there are people out there who appreciate what FAMs do, and that will make the job worthwhile.

and Never Forget those who gave their lives 20 years ago today.

Comment

• Srok1
            Srok1 commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for your positive post--we need more of these on and off the forums. Enjoy the rest of your weekend.

• Any current/former FAMS have recommendations/tips for FLETC/ACY? What to bring, what to emphasize etc? Also what’s the PT like? Do I/will I be able to workout on my own?

between old posts on this thread and the fletc cancellations thread, besides basic packing list things, I’ve read to bring your own above the ankle black boots and a Brita filter for water since we will be restricted on site.

also quick question on the boots, can they have a mesh toe box or does the toe box need to be complete leather/pleather? Also how strict are they about “above the ankle”…. I have a pair of mid rise boots (Salomon xa forces mid), would something like that be ok or are they looking for a high rise?

Comment

• HiFlyR
            HiFlyR commented
            Editing a comment
            I’m prefacing this with “unless things have changed”

Highly recommend buying your own boots. The ones they issue are garbage. I had Under Armour above the ankle mid-rise. I think the only requirement was they are all black. I still have mine (years later)and wear them frequently.

Just remember you’re going to do everything in your boots, from standing still to running. So they should be comfortable, don’t try and go cheap.

Not sure what the FLETC Artesia requirements are now, but if you’re allowed off base go catch a high school football game, go to Roswell, and visit the Carlsbad caverns.

The local Ford dealership is the only place in Artesia that rents cars and they have like 5. So if you need one make sure you reserve it weeks in advance.

Walmart in artesia will be your best friend.

If you can’t get bottled water, then yes buy a brita filter.

Adobe Rose is excellent food for the area and right outside of the FLETC gates.

Make sure a small group in your class grabs a pavilion right after class on Friday while the others go get food and beer. Otherwise border patrol will take over everything.

Regarding PT. You’ll probably have scheduled PT sessions 2-3 times per week. The type all depends on your instructors. My instructor loved to run so we went on class runs like 80% of the time. You’ll have time to workout and use the gym at FLETC and ACY. Both facilities have their own gyms and you can use both. Once at ACY though I went to a local gym (retro fitness) and negotiated like a $20/month rate for
            the time I was there, because once I was “off base” for the day I didn’t want to go back for any reason.

Just be in decent shape when you go. You’ll have easy PT days, hard PT days, occasional “smoke sessions” and tactics classes can get intense at times. I’ll try to post more organized tips in the coming days, but right now it’s NFL Week 1 so time to watch some football.

• Another listing just dropped

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/614043100

Comment

• Gonna put back in for this announcement again. Hopefully I get picked up this time around especially since the locations offered are pretty good. Anybody have any tips/advice for advancing in the hiring process? Thanks.

Comment

• Eagle_3203
              Eagle_3203 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hopefully none of the following applies to anyone looking to reapply since the last announcement:

Applicants will not be eligible for consideration under this Job Opportunity Announcement (JOA) for the following reasons:

If you have a Fail/Denied Pre-Hire Adjudication from TSA Personnel Security within the previous two years of the closing of this JOA (9/28/2021).

If you have a Fail result from the computer based test, the Federal Air Marshal Assessment Battery (FAB), within twelve (12) months of the closing of this JOA (9/28/2021).
              If you have a Fail result from the Field Office Panel Interview within twelve (12) months of the closing of this JOA (9/28/2021).

If you are over the age of 37, or reach age 37 at anytime during the process, and did not provide proof of employment in a Federal civilian law enforcement position covered by Federal civilian law enforcement retirement provisions. (NOTE: Preference eligible veterans are permitted a waiver allowing for entry on duty prior to their 40th birthday).

Good luck for those who reapply. I look forward to seeing some more new faces. The FAMS has been a great job.

• smokeybear83
              smokeybear83 commented
              Editing a comment
              "Applicants who applied to the FAM-F21-F001 Job Opportunity Announcement (JOA) should note that assessment results (pass or fail) will carry over to the hiring process for this hiring effort. Applicants may not re-take the FAMS Assessment Battery or Panel Interview in order to improve the outcome of previous results."

I assume those who passed both would just get scheduled for the PT test since that portion was separate from the interview (even though it was part of that same day)?

• griffinlocke
              griffinlocke commented
              Editing a comment
              Well I think none of that applies to me cause on the last app it said I wasn’t even qualified which has to be an error cause I hold a masters and 2 years in local LE.

• Any FAMS part of the 2017 hiring process know the tattoo policy in both Artesia and Acy?

Comment

• Eagle_3203
              Eagle_3203 commented
              Editing a comment
              If I remember correctly, you will be required to wear something that can cover them while in uniform and Pt gear. Like under armor etc.

• Anyone have any study material to share.

Comment

• Thought I'd post my full timeline for all the new applicants. I applied in 2020. Two nuggets I'd give everyone take the interview/PT seriously that part is back to back so be ready for a long day. And the medical/Poly is either in Los Angeles, CA, or Atlantic City, NJ. The expense is on your own dime so factor that in.

App - 9/20

Met App Req - 10/20

FAM Battery - 10/20

Field Office - 10/20

Field Office Assessment - 12/20

Ref for Hiring - 12/20 - 3/21

Selection Decision - 3/21

Conditional Offer - 3/21

SF86 - 4/26

Med/Poly - 8/10

Final Offer - 9/21

Good luck to all the new applicants!

Comment

• calbraz
                calbraz commented
                Editing a comment
                What is the PT test comprised of? What type of questions were asking in the interview (situational, STAR, etc.)? Was the medical and polygraph the same day?
                Last edited by calbraz; 09-23-2021, 04:05 PM.

• Grey De Leon
                Grey De Leon commented
                Editing a comment
                calbraz all the answer to your question is in the email you'll get. And yes the med/poly are on the same day.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 1628 users online. 114 members and 1514 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X