300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
    Well just finished, not much to really say about it in terms of intel for you all. Signed a NDC so couldn't get to specific if I wanted, but like I said, not much to say in terms of surprises.

best of luck everyone
    Thanks for taking the time to write this out. Much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well just finished, not much to really say about it in terms of intel for you all. Signed a NDC so couldn't get to specific if I wanted, but like I said, not much to say in terms of surprises.

I googled a few days and found a practice/sample FAMS Assessment Battery PDF and went through it.

It can be found here: https://hraccess-assessment.tsa.dhs....SPrepGuide.pdf

Test was exactly like the sample test PDF. No curve balls. I would say the logical reasoning part, the first part, is the only truly difficult part. There are examples in that PDF, but it is pretty standard run of the mill for 1811 kind of tests. "Mary Joey John Grace Jim and Susie are all stay at a hotel over the next month. Each person must stay for a week at at time. No more than 3 can be there at once. Jim and Mary must be together. Susie can not be at the hotel while Jim is there. On the third week, bo......."

that kind of crap. That is the only section where I pretty much used all my time, up until 30 seconds left on the count down. The other sections, grammar, reading order, video scenarios, etc (all demonstrated in that practice PDF above) were a breeze I felt like.

Oddly, no month to wait to get your test scores. By the time I turned my phone back on and sat down in my ride, I received a email saying I passed the test. Instructions to go into the TSA dashboard and schedule for the Field Office day. I am going to be genuinely mad if they don't eventually send an email with scores of my test just so I know how I did in each section.

For those interested, here is the PDF on the PT test: https://hraccess-assessment.tsa.dhs....Assessment.pdf

I'm probably going to withdraw from the hiring process at this time. My nearest office is over an eight hour drive one way, so at least 3 days of leave I'd have to take from work, two nights of hotel costs, etc, all for a job that I am not even sure I would take if I was offered. But that being said, if there are any current FAMs that could PM me that would be great. I'd like to run some questions by you before I back out of the process, make sure that I am making a good choice, or with your answers, may stay in the process. I'll maintain OPSEC of course.

best of luck everyone
      If it's anything like back in 2011. You don't get a score just a instant Pass/Failed email.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb2257
        I'll give you my advice. Drop from the FAMS process, apply to the Bureau. If you know for a fact you want to work drugs or that type element, apply to DEA & ATF. If I knew then what I knew now, I never would have gone to FAMS, I would have applied for 1811 positions and been well into my career by now instead of just now starting my life as an 1811.

The two advantages FAMS offers are world class training in pistol marksmanship / shooting skills, combined with significant opportunities to see some of the major cities of the world. Beyond that it is mind numbingly boring and intellectually torturous with zero opportunities for investigative positions or other types of career growth.
        was PMing with a former FAM, the thing for me is I cant catch an 1811 yet. still at least 2 years on my bachelors, and want to get the masters. currently in the reserves, but no vet pref. so at this moment in time i am a high school graduate border patrol agent. not the best resume.

fams might be a way to pursue my degree aggressively. but yeah more and more i am thinking i am going to pull the eject handle
        UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
        "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

I googled a few days and found a practice/sample FAMS Assessment Battery PDF and went through it.

It can be found here: https://hraccess-assessment.tsa.dhs....SPrepGuide.pdf

Test was exactly like the sample test PDF. No curve balls. I would say the logical reasoning part, the first part, is the only truly difficult part. There are examples in that PDF, but it is pretty standard run of the mill for 1811 kind of tests. "Mary Joey John Grace Jim and Susie are all stay at a hotel over the next month. Each person must stay for a week at at time. No more than 3 can be there at once. Jim and Mary must be together. Susie can not be at the hotel while Jim is there. On the third week, bo......."

that kind of crap. That is the only section where I pretty much used all my time, up until 30 seconds left on the count down. The other sections, grammar, reading order, video scenarios, etc (all demonstrated in that practice PDF above) were a breeze I felt like.

Oddly, no month to wait to get your test scores. By the time I turned my phone back on and sat down in my ride, I received a email saying I passed the test. Instructions to go into the TSA dashboard and schedule for the Field Office day. I am going to be genuinely mad if they don't eventually send an email with scores of my test just so I know how I did in each section.

For those interested, here is the PDF on the PT test: https://hraccess-assessment.tsa.dhs....Assessment.pdf

I'm probably going to withdraw from the hiring process at this time. My nearest office is over an eight hour drive one way, so at least 3 days of leave I'd have to take from work, two nights of hotel costs, etc, all for a job that I am not even sure I would take if I was offered. But that being said, if there are any current FAMs that could PM me that would be great. I'd like to run some questions by you before I back out of the process, make sure that I am making a good choice, or with your answers, may stay in the process. I'll maintain OPSEC of course.

best of luck everyone
          Wow great job passing, so the process is pretty much the same as the last time a few years ago. But seem to moving really fast .I do remember getting my results as soon as I left the testing center, but it was like a week before someone called me to schedule my in office visit. Well hopefully I have not lost to many brain cell from 5 years ago and be able to pass again next Thurs. Need to get real familiar with that treadmill because it's to brick to run outdoors.

Comment

• Originally posted by jb2257
            The additional information you posted changes my advice significantly. One of the things I failed to mention is that FAMS is the perfect place for someone who is working on their degree online. Stay in the process, work on your degree aggressively, and apply to an 1811 vacancy as soon as you are within 6 months of having the bachelors. As long as you are getting something out of your time with FAMS in addition to the job, it can be worthwhile. It is a great place to finish a degree. I know several people who finished online master's while there, and popped smoke shortly afterwards.

To summarize, if your current position is preventing you from finishing your bachelors, then pursue FAMS. If both afford equal opportunity to pursue your bachelors, stay with BP and drop from FAMS.
            Yeah i mean my current situation, I am taking two entry level classes (3 more to go before I actually start my degree's courses), and i cant imagine being full time, plus significantly harder courses in my current situation. thanks for the advice. definitely more to consider.

i know yes on hotel points, but i wasnt clear what another user said about airline miles. do you at least get those haha.

honor first

Comment

• FAMS is an excellent place to either begin or end your Fed Leo career. If you have 10-12 years of 6c time and just want to chill and finish your career, FAMS isn't too bad. If your young and lack experience for a 1811 gig, FAMS is a great start. Truth is, your only going to get hired on to a 1811 gig through a mass hire (ATF, FBI, DEA. Postal, and HSI. Don't get me wrong there are plenty OIG's, BUT in my 4 years as a FAM I only witnessed only a few 1801 FAMS get on with OIG's. All were hookups or sheer luck. I finally got on with a DoJ agency 3 years ago via mass hire. If you play your cards right, FAMS is a great spot to get you into a 1811 gig. Not to mention home points and traveling the world on the G isn't too bad.
              Last edited by UCLA1998; 02-14-2016, 02:14 PM.

Comment

• On average, how fit are the people who go to the Physical Assessment? I'm more like Customs fit than FAMS fit. Do they expect excellent or do people get a range of physical scores?

Comment

• Taking the test next Saturday. Not entirely sure if I'll continue the process if I pass.

Comment

• Did u apply as Fed?

Comment

• Originally posted by X-man234 View Post
                      Did u apply as Fed?
                      I did, yes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goats View Post
                        On average, how fit are the people who go to the Physical Assessment? I'm more like Customs fit than FAMS fit. Do they expect excellent or do people get a range of physical scores?
                        My grandma is Customs fit. JK. I know what you mean though FAMS definitely has the hardest pre-employment physical that I seen for a DHS agency.

Comment

• PM me. I'm a current FAM

Comment

• Originally posted by Goats View Post
                            On average, how fit are the people who go to the Physical Assessment? I'm more like Customs fit than FAMS fit. Do they expect excellent or do people get a range of physical scores?

Originally posted by Etoolqual View Post
                            Taking the test next Saturday. Not entirely sure if I'll continue the process if I pass.

my primary reason for taking it was to get a score. you dont get a score, pass/fail. i may continue on, may drop. we shall see.
                            Originally posted by echat12 View Post
                            PM me. I'm a current FAM
                            bruh just spill it here. pros and cons, go!

honor first

Comment

• Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS)

Originally posted by battlewagon View Post

my primary reason for taking it was to get a score. you dont get a score, pass/fail. i may continue on, may drop. we shall see.

bruh just spill it here. pros and cons, go!
                              Lol. The PT requirements for current FAMs have changed. That being said, I'm not sure what the PT test for candidates will be. I can find out for sure at the office.

They have to get everyone on board before the fiscal year is over. You do the math. I'm not sure why they waited so long to put up the announcement, but you can expect a quick process. I can't give you numbers, but expect a competitive process.

Expect to fly and fly some more. Your quality of life will be diminished, but you can make it work. People love that per diem, so if the money is worth it to you, then by all means, go through the process. The training is phenomenal and the traveling is a nice bonus. There are ground-based assignments available in the field office or at HQ (DC area), but they are competitive and you have to put in a few years of flying first. You get used to working out on little sleep and packing your own food for long flights. Invest in an iPad if you haven't already.

I don't expect you will have much luck transferring out of the NYFO or EWR offices, except maybe to WFO or SFO, so think long and hard about if you really want to live there.

Last edited by echat12; 02-15-2016, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• I'm still waiting for that email

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4925 users online. 204 members and 4721 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X