X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deleted question

Comment

• Hello all,

Failed CBP poly and looking into applying into FAM. When do we know of any upcoming openings? I can not find any on USAjobs at this moment. Am I missing something?

Comment

• smokeybear83
        smokeybear83 commented
        Editing a comment
        This was the job posting which has since closed. They accepted applications from 9/21 thru 10/4.

• big_bob_69
        big_bob_69 commented
        Editing a comment
        There's a job opening once every few years. You just missed it.

• Redwings1993
        Redwings1993 commented
        Editing a comment
        Ouch, just missed it. I’ll just save the search for far future updates. Thank you guys for the info,

• For those looking for information on the PTA

Comment

• Anyone else get the email to take the test?

Comment

• big_bob_69
          big_bob_69 commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes, got it this morning.

• Saluki89
          Saluki89 commented
          Editing a comment
          Good luck! The study guide is very helpful. The test itself isn't terribly too difficult but each section is timed so that definitely adds another layer of stress.

• Jagger3939
          Jagger3939 commented
          Editing a comment
          I just got the invite email this morning to take the test.

• jamesch20
          jamesch20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Same. Got mine as well.

• Are you guys on any other active FAMS forums? Back when I applied in 2016 I was on several FAMS forums, but they don’t seem to be active anymore.

Comment

• Anthropologist
          Anthropologist commented
          Editing a comment
          This is my first FAM application. I seem to remember seeing some stuff while browsing Google results; those threads were on DelphiForums and maybe something from FederalSoup, but nothing else specifically related to FAMS.

• Still have the blue star over my status on the dashboard. Assuming I'm ok as long as there is no "NR" there. At the very least, I'd like to know if they rejected me haha.

Comment

• Anthropologist
          Anthropologist commented
          Editing a comment
          Just be patient. Everything in the federal government moves slowly.

• NYC1175
          NYC1175 commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear ya brother

• Ughh, got the email today stating I'm not among the best qualified candidates. 7 years county LEO, 4 year BA Criminology, current US Army Reserve. I guess yall are Special Forces CIA Agents lmao. Good luck to everyone still in the process!

Comment

• Eagle_3203
          Eagle_3203 commented
          Editing a comment
          It’s likely that when they ask about your competencies in the application process, that you didn’t rate yourself high enough for each category. I looked at it as a way for they to allow applicants to weed themselves out. If that’s the case, next time give yourself more credit than you are due. It is subjective after all.
          Last edited by Eagle_3203; 11-12-2020, 11:01 AM.

• Eagle_3203
          Eagle_3203 commented
          Editing a comment
          Last edited by Eagle_3203; 11-12-2020, 10:53 AM. Reason: Duplicate post

• Anthropologist
          Anthropologist commented
          Editing a comment
          @Swift_Justice301

Just wait, after spending time off the streets you might start wishing for the good old days of wearing a uniform. lol

Eagle_3203 makes a very good point regarding the initial application.

• JordanB
          JordanB commented
          Editing a comment
          @swift_justice301
          It may have just been your resume.
          Did you upload your unofficial transcript to your profile and attach it to your application ? And did you build your resume so it’s in federal format?

• I got the same email. 5 years local law enforcement and US ARMY vet.
        New York City Department of Correction and US Army. 🇺🇸

Comment

• Wow, they must be getting very selective this go around.

Comment

• Anthropologist
            Anthropologist commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting. I'm guessing the competition will be steep at interview and PT phase.

• davidjbar
            davidjbar commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, I would highly recommend those that make it to the FOA to get as fit as you possibly can and crush the PT test. It may or may not be make or break but why risk it.

• Levithane
            Levithane commented
            Editing a comment
            Not necessarily. Sometimes your resume isn't written to how they want it. Sometimes they intentionally cut people with LE or Military EXP (yes this happens contrary to what announcements say), because they want to hire people from all walks of life.

• Anyone know what kind of PT scores they’re looking for? Looks like they use the same scoring metrics as USSS. I imagine they have similar score requirements?

Comment

• Eagle_3203
            Eagle_3203 commented
            Editing a comment
            Admittedly, when I went through, I wasn’t in the best of shape. I did put out though and still made it through to Final Offer. Just make it count and prepare for your panel interview. I recommend having a few experiences that you can pull a lot of bullets from, and review them in the days before your panel so that you have something to draw answers from.

• Forester87
            Forester87 commented
            Editing a comment
            @eagle_3203

How long ago were you in the hiring process? Do you happen to remember how many pull ups you got and your approximate run time?

• davidjbar
            davidjbar commented
            Editing a comment
            The point is if guys that are Vets with LE experience are not even getting a chance to take the written test, it is safe to reason that it might be more competitive this time. Which means it would probably be in applicants best interest to get as fit as possible and score high as you can because it may determine who moves forward in the process........Or don’t and see how it works out for you.

• Eagle_3203
            Eagle_3203 commented
            Editing a comment
            @Forester87

I applied to the early 2016 announcement. I dont remember the exact times, but I would say at the time, for my age, I was about at the poor range for pull ups and fair for the run. I was no where near the shape I used to be in quite honestly and had limited time to get into shape before conducting my panel and PTA. Everything else I was in the Good or Excellent ranges. You just need to make sure you put out even if you are not the best performer.
            I will say that by the time I go to the academy I was much better at the run and pull-ups.

@DavidjBar

I dont think they are making things more competitive for vets with LEO experience. That goes against the whole point of proving competencies. Vets with LEO experience can be just as well rounded as non vets without LEO experience. I have the feeling that they weeded themselves out by not grading themselves high enough on the competencies portion of the application process. I always look at that part of the application as the agency’s way of getting the applicant to do the “Not among the best qualified candidates” part of the process for them.
            Obviously however, having an edge in PT could be the final determinant if 2 or more candidates have the same average panel scores, so definitely put out.
            Fortunately, my experience and ability to interview well is probably what helped me more than the PTA portion fo the process.

• Just got the panel interview/field office assessment call today.

Comment

• Grey De Leon
            Grey De Leon commented
            Editing a comment
            smokeybear83 Orlando Saluki89 and thanks and see you there!

• Riv202
            Riv202 commented
            Editing a comment
            How long from the call to the interview you would say approx 1 month ?

• Grey De Leon
            Grey De Leon commented
            Editing a comment
            Riv202 20+ days so under a month. Think they are really trying to get this batch of applicants into the academy by spring 2021.

• Anthropologist
            Anthropologist commented
            Editing a comment
            I really hope that is the case!

• Anyone have any idea when FAMS is going to have the academy? Also, are you paid during the academy?
          Last edited by gkov; 11-13-2020, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Appdin
            Appdin commented
            Editing a comment
            Someone said on here they are looking to have butts in seats by May

• CUBroncs10
            CUBroncs10 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, you get paid while you're in academy. Full GS or whatever band this is plus the location pay of your assigned office.

• gkov
            gkov commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the replies

• Hey guys,

Taking the FAB on Tuesday. Any advice besides reading the preparation guide? I took the HSI exam in 2019 and did not pass. For people who have taken either/or, is the FAB comparable in difficulty?

Thanks.
          Last edited by Mac11; 11-14-2020, 12:34 AM.

Comment

• Saluki89
            Saluki89 commented
            Editing a comment
            Study the study guide. That's all I can really tell you. It is timed too so remember that.

• gkov
            gkov commented
            Editing a comment
            Candidates who take the FAB sign an NDA stating that they will not disclose any info about the exam. Best thing is to just study the guide and be as efficient as possible.

• Mac11
            Mac11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I'm not looking for specific info about what's on the exam. Just wanted to see if anyone had any tips. I appreciate the replies.

• Saluki89
            Saluki89 commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not terribly difficult but it is a challenge. The study guide tells you everything you need to know.

• Seeing as people are starting to receive invites for the interviews, I feel like it's an appropriate time to post some tips for all of you hopeful to become a FAM. I'll preface this with saying I was recently in the same shoes as many of you, and enjoyed the job while I was there. It was a great first step into stopping the clock and if I could do it all over again I would. So here's some helpful tips as to what you can expect.

Your process:
          - I see people asking about the timing of the process. From the time I applied to I had my butt in the seat on the way to the academy it was I think between 6-8 months. Think of that being a realistic timeline.
          - The government moves sllloooowwww. The best thing to do is get a step done and forget about it until they call you for the next step. After you clear the poly it does move pretty quickly.
          - Be professional in all aspects. Show up in a suit for you your panel interview, or at least a shirt, tie, and sport coat. I can't believe I have to say it, but I know it happened last round where people didn't show up in professional attire. Blew my mind!
          - No one will give you the questions to the panel interview, but I can tell you they are pretty standard interview questions. Have multiple scenarios lined up you can pull experience from. They're looking for people from all walks of life so not every answer has to be some high speed jumping out of a helicopter and saving 100 babies type deal.
          - Push yourself on the fit test, and even if you don't do well on it, but get selected push even harder before you get to the academy.
          - Polygraphs are what they are. Just be honest. Nothing else to really say here, other than some of you will unfortunately get screwed because of the test (and not because you lied). If that's the case, keep applying to the next job and don't dwell on it.

If you're lucky enough to get selected then you get to the Academy:
          - Enjoy FLETC Artesia. It may seem difficult at first, but it's actually the easiest part of the academy.
          - Get fresh eggs made at the cafeteria every morning for breakfast.
          - Be respectful of the other classes and all of the instructors.
          - BP trains at Artesia. Don't stand around and gawk when their new classes come in. You're not there for them. Just enjoy the fact you don't have it as rough.
          - The pavilions are key to enjoying Artesia. Make sure someone in your class gets there early while others run (literally) to Walmart and pick up the beers for the night.
          - Go see Carlsbad caverns and enjoy a day in Roswell.
          - Go to an Artesia HS football game if you're there during football season.
          - There's only one car dealer in Artesia that rents cars, and they only have like 4. So if you want to rent a car, reserve it weeks in advance.
          - FLETC instructors will talk up your FAMTP certificate, and say it opens up tons of doors. It opens absolutely zero doors. If you go to an 1811 gig you'll still need CITP or the equivalent. If you go to a Fed Uniformed gig you still need UPTP. If you go to state or local LEO you'll still need their academy. FAMTP was designed so you can't jump ship easily.
          - That being said if you do go on to UPTP or CITP you'll have a leg up as you'll already know like 80% of the coursework.
          - Phase II is it's own animal. Again, just always be respectful.
          - Be on time. Heck be 30 minutes early.
          - Wawa is key
          - You'll find out who in you class has been punched in the face before and who hasn't
          - Take firearms seriously. There will be 8 hour range days and you'll be exhausted, but follow the instructions and you'll be an expert shooter.
          - The instructors talk about your class allllll the time. If your class screws up and they say "this stays between us" it doesn't. Expect a smoke session.
          - Most of the instructors are great people and you'll see it during the academy and especially on graduation day.

Now if you're lucky enough to make it through the months of training and get to the field office:
          - Set up a separate bank account for your per diem checks to be deposited. DO NOT put your spouse on this account. I know that may seem harsh, and I'm not saying to hide money, but your government credit card will be paid from this and it is your responsibility. I heard many stories of people just having it deposited into a joint account and not having enough money to pay of their government credit card at the end of the month.
          - Which leads me to this. DO NOT budget your per diem in your paycheck. Think of it as a bonus and sock whatever is extra in savings. I've seen people complain because they weren't getting enough per diem month were struggling with their budget. Your schedule will always fluctuate. Don't let yourself be financially ruined.
          - Always be on time. Always always always be on time.
          - Be kind to everyone from supervisor to fellow FAM to other LEOs, the ticket agent, the gate agent, the pilots, and the flight attendants. Heck be nice to the starbucks barista you'll see every day. It'll help out in the long run.
          - Buy any extra gear you can. I always kept extra handcuffs in my car on the off chance I forgot mine at home. Especially if you live far away from the office this will save you from getting written up for showing up without the proper gear.
          - Keep a specific bag with all your stuff in it. Makes it easier to grab every day and know you'll have everything you need.
          - Always keep a toothbrush and extra pair of underwear in your bag. Whether you're scheduled for an overnight or not. Just do it. There's plenty of flying during bad weather that will get you a random layover.
          - Go out and see places. You get to travel for a living and make good money. Don't sit in a hotel. Get out and explore the culture.
          - Be respectful of whatever local culture you're in. Don't be THAT AMERICAN.
          - DO NOT overindulge in alcohol. A beer or two is fine on your layover, but flying hungover is a no no (Plus it sucks anyway).
          - Be respectful of your fellow colleagues and just know because they may hate the job doesn't mean you have to.

I'll try and post more tips along the way. As always, if there's any questions feel free to ask. As long as they don't involve OPSEC I'll try and answer.
          Last edited by HiFlyR; 11-14-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

• Anthropologist
            Anthropologist commented
            Editing a comment
            HiFlyR thanks for the excellent insights!

• Kraut0783
            Kraut0783 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great post!

Second the separate bank account for per diem deposits, makes paying the govt travel card much easier and keeping track of deposits for each trip...etc.

• gkov
            gkov commented
            Editing a comment
            You're the best! Thanks a lot for all these tips!

• hangman
            hangman commented
            Editing a comment
            What field offices do you recommend? Any FOs to stay away from?

• Should be a sticky.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3983 users online. 204 members and 3779 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X