Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where did you get the study guide? I didn't get one?

Comment

• Awesome, thank you!

Comment

• How does the pay scale work? Do you get hired as G, then H at year 2, then I at year 3? How long does it take to top out at 99k?

Comment

• Exbpa340
        Exbpa340 commented
        Editing a comment
        The bad - Pay banding doesn’t have steps where one can move up incrementally. From my understanding within band raises are few and far between so Count on being in the lower range of each band.

The good - FAMS get LEAP so at full performance level take the base pay and add 25 percent (plus they will earn a nice chunk in per diem per year).

• UCLA1998
        UCLA1998 commented
        Editing a comment
        Bands suck IMO. After I Band (3 years), you will only get pay raises if you receive IPI’s or cost of living adjustments. If the government cuts back because of debt (they will eventually) your cost of living will be frozen and there won’t be any IPIs. However, you will be making OT (only a %) and night and Sunday diff pay.

• I'm taking my test on Friday. Thanks again for the study guide link.

Comment

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Good luck!

• nballstar
        nballstar commented
        Editing a comment
        Test seems a little difficult, but I passed in the end. Not sure what the requirements are, but I got my results by email by the time I got to my car. Only downside is the locations from the last posting don’t seem very desirable. I’m hoping it isn’t very hard to transfer later

• Yup, no Miami this time........ NJ, NY...... And other cold cities lol.

Comment

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Come on! You just know that you want to travel to Chicago or NYC, right? lol
        Last edited by Anthropologist; 11-02-2020, 09:03 AM.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        I need to go back and look at the locations. I actually don't remember what was available.

• gkov
        gkov commented
        Editing a comment
        El Segundo, CA
        South San Francisco, CA
        Denver, CO
        Chicago, IL
        Romulus, MI
        Edina, MN
        Las Vegas, NV
        Queens, NY
        Chantilly, VA
        Renton, WA

• Well, I took took the exam and passed. Now just waiting to hear back on a field office date.

I'm a bit worried though after reading the first 200 pages of this thread. I took the CBP polygraph at the beginning of 2020, and I did not "complete a favorable examination" according to CBP. I wasn't told why the polygraph examination results were unfavorable.

My background is clean! I was a straight "A" student during my BA and MS degree programs. I've never used any type of illegal drugs. I've never had so much as a speeding ticket, or any type of run in with the law for that matter. I graduated from federal law enforcement training about 4 years ago. I am also a former DHS employee in a non-LEO position.

What are the chances that I'll get DQ'd because of the CBP polygraph? Also, at what point should I bring up the failed polygraph during the hiring process, and with whom? I really don't want this to pop up later and end up getting myself pulled out of training at FLETC.

Comment

• invertedPanda
        invertedPanda commented
        Editing a comment
        It will definitely come up and TSA's PerSec division will want you to respond to and explain why you failed. Is it a show stopper? Not technically. However, TSA's PerSec division thinks very highly of themselves and their jobs, from my personal experience.

When you get to the equip you'll be asked about the poly. Give as much detail as you can. But be prepared for the reality that they might DQ you or send you a letter wanting you to respond to their questions, which will fully delay your hiring process because they are notoriously slow at responding to people and making a final judgement (often times violating their own in house policies on return time). You will NEVER get anyone from that division on the phone and if you do they will send you to someone's voicemail and never return your call. They will most likely never return your emails either.

• Levithane
        Levithane commented
        Editing a comment
        Eqips do not ask for previous polygraphs. The agency might send you a proprietary document that asks you about that, but SF86 questionnaires do not have a section specifically asking. If your investigator asks, obv discuss it with them. Failed polygraphs don't result in a denied clearance, they usually result in a not suitable determination. Suitability and Adjudication are two different things when it comes to hiring.

• Angelcaro
        Angelcaro commented
        Editing a comment
        Cbp has a fail rate of 90% I passed it last year 2/30 of my buddies have only passed aswell. I have a friend that took the fbi DEA Ice and cbp polygraph... he passed them all except cbp so don’t feel so down

• Forester87
        Forester87 commented
        Editing a comment
        @angelcaro

I read that it was around 2/3 failure rate, but I guess it could be that high.

• invertedPanda

If TSA PerSec is going to want to know the reason for the unfavorable result, should I go ahead and file a FOIA request so that I at least know the reason behind CBP's determination?

Comment

• gkov
        gkov commented
        Editing a comment
        I would. If push comes to shove and you really want the job hire a lawyer.

• Saluki89
        Saluki89 commented
        Editing a comment
        gkov are you a current federal employee, agent, or LEO?

• Forester87
        Forester87 commented
        Editing a comment
        gkov

I really doubt that it's worth hiring a lawyer, and I'm not that invested in this particular job. There are plenty of other federal LE jobs to be had! I'll be willing to explain to PerSec, but that is about as far as I'm willing to go for a TSA job.

• Hello all, I finally got invited to FAB today (applied 9/30). I attempted to schedule FAB via TSA dashboard per instruction. However, when I clicked "schedule FAB" under next step section, nothing shows up nor takes me to another page for scheduling. I also dialed TSA help line but found out that it is not operating real time due to covid. Anyone who encountered similar issue? I would appreciate an insight before sending the email to HR. Thanks!

Comment

• Saluki89
        Saluki89 commented
        Editing a comment
        Might need to expand the search radius for a test center.

• Longhorn8847
        Longhorn8847 commented
        Editing a comment
        The issue I encounter is, nothing pops up. I dont see anything regarding testing location, time and etc. Let alone a tool to change miles radius. I tried different devices and browsers with no luck. I reached out to TSA help desk via email. Will share the solution with yall when I hear back

• Frank020387
        Frank020387 commented
        Editing a comment
        I am having the same problem.

• Longhorn8847
        Longhorn8847 commented
        Editing a comment
        Quick update: I just decided to log in and give it a try again while waiting for response from TSA. Now, the scheduling just works fine like nothing was wrong before. FAB scheduled now.

• Just passed the FAB. Now I need to select a field office. Are these field offices at an airport or an actual office building? Where I live, NYC is closest but I am not sure if I will need to go to JFK or Laguardia. I would prefer somewhere in the Manhattan area because that would be easiest for me to get to since I can just take a train down there.

Comment

• Saluki89
        Saluki89 commented
        Editing a comment
        Do you not have a car? Maybe you can uber.

• gkov
        gkov commented
        Editing a comment
        The nyc field office is right next to LGA.

• A300!
        A300! commented
        Editing a comment
        I do have a car. It is just that parking in the NYC area isn't easy and I would just rather take the train to avoid that headache.

• gkov
        gkov commented
        Editing a comment
        The building where the NYC field office is has parking.

• Just got called to come in for the panel next week; EWR FO. The process seems to be moving quickly. Goodluck to everyone.

Comment

• Montey
        Montey commented
        Editing a comment
        nballstar EWR was not on the list; just the list on where panels are being held at. Your panel location should not matter.

• Montey
        Montey commented
        Editing a comment
        Grey De Leon As soon as I was notified I passed the FAB.

• Grey De Leon
        Grey De Leon commented
        Editing a comment
        Montey thanks think it's up to the field office on when they can host one, also think they are doing them in groups.

• nballstar
        nballstar commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you get an email or phone call to schedule your interview? I’m wondering if I need to check my 100+ spam messages everyday for an email from TSA to make sure I don’t miss it

• I passed the FAB. Decently tough exam. Study the study guide well.

Good luck to everyone in the process.

Comment

• Applied 9/21 and looks like my stuff still hasn't been looked at. I take it that's probably a "no", lmao.

Comment

• CUBroncs10
          CUBroncs10 commented
          Editing a comment
          Same here haha.

• NYC1175
          NYC1175 commented
          Editing a comment
          Applied 10/2, same here. I guess it's time to see the writing on the wall haha

• 2september
          2september commented
          Editing a comment
          They’re just slow, I literally applied within hours of the posting and I heard back a few days ago. No idea how they prioritize it but it definitely doesn’t seem to be order received as others who applied after got a test date sooner

• I was just wondering what is the dress code for the computer based test. Is it a 3rd party facility to which TSA has no connection? Black polo and black pants should suffice?

Cheers

Comment

• Calitown
          Calitown commented
          Editing a comment
          sweat pants and a hoodie.

• nballstar
          nballstar commented
          Editing a comment
          Full hazmat suit so they know you’re Covid conscious! If it’s the company testing center it’s 3rd party, so you should be good with anything. It’s usually people testing for a ton of different jobs (airport screeners, Local government, etc). I’m more cornered with the panel interview because looks like you do the PAT same day. I can’t run very fast in a suit

The testers aren’t the smartest bulbs in the bunch either. when the testing guy asked if I’m a LEO and I said yes, he told me I could leave my gun on the counter and he’d watch it. I politely declined. I’m either holding it or locking it up myself
          Last edited by nballstar; 11-06-2020, 02:03 PM.

• Anthropologist
          Anthropologist commented
          Editing a comment
          "[He] told me I could leave my gun on the counter and he’d watch it."

WTF!?! Hell no... :O

• HiFlyR
          HiFlyR commented
          Editing a comment
          nballstar if you pass the panel you’ll be taken to do the PAT afterward. There’s a locker room where you can change and shower afterward to get back into your dress clothes for the rest of the process (that’s if COVID hasn’t changed anything).

• I am currently a FAM if anyone has any questions that won’t violate OPSEC. One thing I want to mention is that if the current Covid crisis continues into 2021 those of you who get hired will have a work and flight schedule vastly different than the norm. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

• Jrod26
          Jrod26 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you. PM sent.

• Anthropologist
          Anthropologist commented
          Editing a comment
          @davidjbar

Thanks for the info!

• gkov
          gkov commented
          Editing a comment
          is the pistol qual hard? I'm coming from a military background with minimal experience shooting pistols.

• Anthropologist
          Anthropologist commented
          Editing a comment
          @davidjbar

How difficult do you think it would it be to balance being a FAM with also being in the Army Reserve? Do you know any FAMs who are also reservists?

• Also there is no rhyme or reason to the hiring process. Some of you are asking others about their application and trying to make correlations. This is a futile endeavor. Some people just get through certain stages and the entire process faster than others for no apparent reason. I applied in 2016 and for some it took a few months to get through stages, to include getting the test invite and panel interview. The BEST advice is apply and forget.

Comment

• gkov
          gkov commented
          Editing a comment
          "apply and forget" that goes with almost any job in govt.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3027 users online. 143 members and 2884 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X