Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWIW... Forget all logic or reasoning when discussing the hiring process of a federal agency. It’s much easier to maintain your sanity that way. It appears that certain groups are randomly getting emails at certain times so patience will have to be the winner of this race.
    US Army Veteran
    The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

• Passed the FAB today... I’m by no means a PT stud so what are the odds of getting picked up with poor and very poor ratings for the PAT? I’m not super out of shape or anything but the PT standards are surprisingly very tight. Thanks for any insight in advance.

Comment

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm accustomed to doing the PEB as a physical assessment. My 1.5 mile is around 11:10, but I can probably do better if I really tried. I've never been too keen on the Illinois Agility Test; I can pass it for the PEB though...

I did the CBP test back when I was considering a job with them, and that was easy (the step test was a bit odd).

• DirtMirt07
        DirtMirt07 commented
        Editing a comment
        You don't have to be in amazing shape, but you do have to have competitive scores. Remember, you are competing for the opportunity, so everything counts (PT scores, panel interview, poly, etc.)

I took the PT test with a guy who said his goal was to "finish." He was the only person who was eliminated after that session.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Any idea if the panel interview is in-person or phone/video?

• DirtMirt07
        DirtMirt07 commented
        Editing a comment
        @Anthro - Panel interviews were in-person, but who knows what the new process might be bc of Covid-19.

• So I’m curious. To any current or former FAM how is working in this job and having any sort of a family life? How many days a week are you expected to be away from home? Are you constantly spending days or nights away?

Comment

• UCLA1998
        UCLA1998 commented
        Editing a comment
        You most likely will fly 3-4 times a week depending on your office. INT RONs are 3-5 days depending on the mission. When I was flying 10 years they were splitting out RDOs (stopped after everyone complained). Typical week could have a few missions with a NMS, training, or recover day. It all depends.

Back in winter during the 2012 my team got stuck in the middle
        East for 13 out of 31 days (2 missions) because of bad weather and the Icelandic volcano. It’s was pretty memorable.
        Last edited by UCLA1998; 10-24-2020, 04:32 PM.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't have a family, so this might not be too bad for me.

What exactly are you doing for most of the flights? Are you going to be filling out work-related reports and doing web trainings, simply observing the passengers and plane? Obviously you'd need to keep a high level of alertness and vigilance, but how does one fill the time on extremely long flights?

• UCLA1998
        UCLA1998 commented
        Editing a comment
        You are acting as a regular passenger. Most guys I know went back to school for a masters degree. All you have is time. Use it wisely.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Ah, okay. Thanks.
        Last edited by Anthropologist; 10-30-2020, 03:56 PM.

• What do the acronyms Int ron and Nms mean?

Comment

• UCLA1998
        UCLA1998 commented
        Editing a comment
        INT- international
        RON- Remain over night
        NMS - non mission status

• gkov
        gkov commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for your answer, really appreciate you helping us out. I'm guessing that depending on the mission you can have a domestic RON that is a few days as well? Or are you typically "back in time for dinner" for domestic missions? Disregard if its OPSEC.
        Last edited by gkov; 10-24-2020, 05:23 PM.

• Thanks for the reply, so on the days that aren’t international are you flying for the day then returning home at night?

Comment

• gkov
        gkov commented
        Editing a comment
        HiFlyR Are FAM'S allowed to carry their duty weapon in a foreign country?

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        gkov

I doubt that it would be allowed.

• UCLA1998
        UCLA1998 commented
        Editing a comment
        In majority countries FAMS can’t carry.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Nevermind.
        Last edited by Anthropologist; 10-30-2020, 04:02 PM.

• Will dual citizenship be an issue for employment with FAMS? It wasn't an issue for my other agencies or getting a clearance.
      Last edited by Anthropologist; 10-30-2020, 03:57 PM.

Comment

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        I wonder how official that form actually was in terms of renouncing citizenship. AFAIK, it take more than signing a U.S. government form to formally relinquish citizenship from another country (especially if the other country allows dual citizenship).

This was one of the more recent things that I was able to find from a quick Google search:

https://www.dni.gov/index.php/ncsc-h...nt/ncsc-policy

Security Executive Agent Directive-4 (SEAD-4) - Guideline B: Foreign Influence

I've had to sign something that was essentially a statement declaring loyalty solely to the United States. It wasn't a renunciation of citizenship though...
        Last edited by Anthropologist; 10-26-2020, 02:15 PM.

• UCLA1998
        UCLA1998 commented
        Editing a comment
        In the past you would have to renounce to hold a TS clearance. But now I believe it’s possible to keep it, BUT it may depend on the agency.

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        @UCLA1998

Is this agency specific? As a general rule that doesn't seem to match the information I'm reading online (ODNI and DoS guidelines) or what I've been told by some of people I've worked with who were also dual nationals. I only had Secret, but others had TS at other agencies (non-LE positions).

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Originally posted by UCLA1998 View Post
        In the past you would have to renounce to hold a TS clearance. But now I believe it’s possible to keep it, BUT it may depend on the agency.
        Ah, got it! Thanks!

• Hi all,
      I'm new to this forum but I'm stuck in a pickle and need some advice. I'm currently in a hiring process with United States Secret Service and just got email to schedule my FAB with FAM. I will proceed with both applications since it is so easy to be disqualified but....... If I get offers with both agencies, which one should I pick? What are the negatives and positives. The money, time off, benefits...... What are the biggest attributes of being an Air Marshal? I hear good things but is it better than providing security for the leader of the free world?
      Thank you for responses in advance..... K-lin.

Comment

• Exbpa340
        Exbpa340 commented
        Editing a comment
        If the USSS position is an SA/1811 and not with the UD that would probably be the better long term route because you would get CITP done and be very marketable down the road to a more coveted position/agency. If we are talking the UD then I would go the FAM route.

• gkov
        gkov commented
        Editing a comment
        Read back a couple pages and you'll get to know FAMS better.

• Yes, UD position. My main goal is to get withing the FEDs. How easy it is to transfer between agencies? Let say, I get the gi with USSS and want to transfer to FAM? You know how long the process is? Do you have to sign an agreement in which you agree to stay for x amount of years?

Comment

• Anthropologist
        Anthropologist commented
        Editing a comment
        Personally, I'd take the FAMS position over USSS Uniform Division.

• Exbpa340
        Exbpa340 commented
        Editing a comment
        Both FAM and USSS UD positions are in the excepted service (career is better). You will have to apply for any opening like someone outside the federal government unless there is an exchange program with those agencies. The good news is your covered FERS time would start with either (plus leave and TSP).
        Last edited by Exbpa340; 10-26-2020, 10:04 PM.

• gkov
        gkov commented
        Editing a comment
        Personally I would choose FAMS over USSS UD, I feel like FAMS would make someone more marketable. Also, I hear some not so good things about USSS.

• Originally posted by K-lin View Post
      Hi all,
      I'm new to this forum but I'm stuck in a pickle and need some advice. I'm currently in a hiring process with United States Secret Service and just got email to schedule my FAB with FAM. I will proceed with both applications since it is so easy to be disqualified but....... If I get offers with both agencies, which one should I pick? What are the negatives and positives. The money, time off, benefits...... What are the biggest attributes of being an Air Marshal? I hear good things but is it better than providing security for the leader of the free world?
      Thank you for responses in advance..... K-lin.
      Neither of them will give to time off...
      Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• Wrong place

Comment

• Any guesses on how long the FAMS hiring process is taking with the COVID issues? I wonder what the chances are of getting the panel interview before the end of 2020.

Comment

• gkov
            gkov commented
            Editing a comment
            Honestly with the way things are going covid wise, anything can happen at this point. The best advice i could give you after going through similar processes is don't get your hopes and expectations up, you'll just be disappointed in the end.

• Originally posted by Anthropologist View Post
          Any guesses on how long the FAMS hiring process is taking with the COVID issues? I wonder what the chances are of getting the panel interview before the end of 2020.
          Expect a long wait (2021) then be pleasantly surprised if it happens in 2020. That’s the best case scenario option.
          US Army Veteran
          The opinions expressed above are not those of any official capacity or agency. Fix yourself.

Comment

• Anthropologist
            Anthropologist commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, that's about what I figured...

• Received FAB invite today

Comment

• Finally got the invite today. I applied on the first day but updated the application on the last day. Local LEO, Bachelor's degree, 10 pt Vet Pref.

Comment

• I also got the invite today. I will be taking it this coming Tuesday. To those who have already taken the FAB, how tough did you find it? Did the study guide help or was it not enough on its own? Did you use anything else than the guide they gave you? Any advice for the situational judgement portion? Finally, how long will it be before I receive my scores?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, but I just want to prepare as much as I can so I can pass with a competitive score and move forward in the process. Any answers will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comment

• Montey
                Montey commented
                Editing a comment
                The study guide does help. You’ll receive an email shortly after on your results.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2644 users online. 143 members and 2501 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X