300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 2september View Post
    Could you give an example of an “typical” week/month? I know flights constantly change etc but what is your typical hours per day/week and how many days on/off a month? How long are layovers or are you always flying home?
    Send me a message and I'll explain what I can

Comment

• Does anyone know how long the process typically takes? Also, has the quality of life changed for the better in recent years? Or are is there still mass exodus going on?

Comment

• Have a buddy in ACY (Academy) and he says butts in seats should be by May 2021 from this announcement.

Comment

• smokeybear83
          smokeybear83 commented
          Editing a comment
          Seems like a relatively quick process which is promising.
          Last edited by smokeybear83; 09-26-2020, 01:30 PM.

• Jagger3939
          Jagger3939 commented
          Editing a comment
          Does your buddy (or anyone on here) have any rumored info on how many they actually are looking to hire from this announcement?

• Appdin
          Appdin commented
          Editing a comment
          Butts in seats at the academy or plane by May 2021?

• Funny I just checked my candidate dashboard from when I applied in 2017 and it says still processing...I got the conditional offer and then ghosted lol

Comment

• I also applied to the new announcement. When I applied last time in 2016, I used my grad school transcript. Problem was at the time, my degree was not completed so I think that stopped my from moving forward. Now that my master's degree is completed and the transcript says when it was awarded, it should not be a problem. I am worried about that questionnaire since I wasn't exactly able to max out on what was asked.

Comment

• Esco
            Esco commented
            Editing a comment
            In 2020, unfortunately you have to give yourself all the top score to compete, because everyone else is. Former FAM here, it’s a very good and fun job. Almost zero paperwork and you’ll get to see America and the world while getting paid. It’s a job for big boys and girls tho. Gotta be on time, have all you’re equipment, and not get involved with foolishness while at home or on the road.

• I suggest you all apply to the office you want. This announcement has almost all the offices (except the FL, ATL, and TX offices). If you apply for all of them you will certainly be given a large office in a high cost area (SF, DC, NY, LA), it may increase you’re odds of being hired, but won’t help you’re quality of life. Get this job and enjoy all the perks and training it has to offer. I moved on to an 1811 job but cherish my time with the FAMS.

Comment

• I applied but I doubt they accept me, I haven’t completed my bachelors yet.

Comment

• jamesch20
              jamesch20 commented
              Editing a comment
              I'm a vet with an associate degree and I applied as well. Doesn't hurt to try.

• Bidstar
              Bidstar commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, worse thing they can say is no. Good luck brother!

• Calitown
              Calitown commented
              Editing a comment
              @jamesch20
              I think just being a veteran catapults you to the position. Several of my buddies who served were all picked up with ICE & FAMS, without a degree

• I don’t have a bachelors degree either but I’m still going to try. Good luck brother.
            New York City Department of Correction and US Army. 🇺🇸

Comment

• Originally posted by Eli Manning View Post
              I don’t have a bachelors degree either but I’m still going to try. Good luck brother.
              Thank you, good luck to you too brother it doesn't hurt to try!.

Comment

• Thank you! Fingers crossed for an opportunity lol
                New York City Department of Correction and US Army. 🇺🇸

Comment

• Don’t worry. I was hired as a veteran with only an associates degree Just interview well and you should be good to go. I’m actually finishing up my degree now since it’s so easy to go to school in this field.

Comment

• Degrees aren’t mandatory whatsoever. I don’t possess one minute of college and have been offered the HSI 1811 position 3x. I had to decline due to undesirable locations unfortunately. I’m in a really desirable interior location with ICE ERO though.

Comment

• DCFED
                    DCFED commented
                    Editing a comment
                    When is the next opening for ICE ERO

• Bidstar
                    Bidstar commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wondering the same thing DCFED

• Exbpa340
                    Exbpa340 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I wouldn’t count on any DO general public announcements for the foreseeable future. Could be many months or even year(s). My sub office (25 Officers) just hired 7 (1 BPA/ 1 CBPO/ 3 ERAs / 1 ICE Contractor/1 Local CO). 5 of the 7 have already started. As of this point only 1 (ERA) has made it to the Academy (BIETP) and 1 (BPA) has made it to the transition course. It appears that Dallas is still sending out TSLs and giving out EOD dates. Then you add in the current circumstances (Corona, Election and all the normal BS). You can hope for the best but expect the worst. My opinion would be best case scenario probably March/April but feel that the most likely scenario would be a year or more.

• Originally posted by pissedoff
                  Weekly or monthly schedules:

Passengers are rude and disgusting. You will have them picking their nose next to you, clipping their toenails, farting and snoring just inches from you. You will have kids kicking the back of your seat for hours. You will have coffee spilled on and on very few occasions you will see a woman giving a man a hand job under a blanket (true story). You will have a passenger light a cigarette in the lavatory or passengers having sex in the lavatory (none of these are a federal crime nor can a FAM make an arrest for these).

Stay tuned for more funny stories of the day in the life of a FAM ——

(please forgive any misspelled words, or punctuation errors)

I have to ask was this like couples doing this, or was it just random passengers hooking up? Also subbed to the thread strictly for funny stories.

Comment

• Originally posted by pissedoff
                    Weekly or monthly schedules:

Your work week will not be normal. One day you could start at 3:30AM and the next day at 9:00AM)

lol literally sounds like my current schedule. And I'm last in seniority so I get no choice. We just hired two lore for my department and of course they have me beat. In about a decade I can probably get the shift I'd want 545-545 every other weekend off

Comment

• I’ve never been a FAM but in my current position come across them from time to time (I usually get asked about when we are planning to hire). After 9/11 quite a few in my first (ex) agency jumped ship to become a FAM (I applied and turned down the position). Those that accepted the position were promised the world. Guaranteed raises..Guaranteed admin days in the office. A few years later many that had left returned. The agency had reneged on everything they had promised. The schedule was brutal and many times your Friday spilled over half way through your Saturday. Almost nobody got the raises promised. This of course was many years ago.

If I was on the outside trying to land a Federa LEO gig then I would definitely consider it but it would not be my first choice (or my 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th).
                      Last edited by Exbpa340; 10-04-2020, 10:36 PM.
                      “Right now I'm having amnesia and déjà vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.” - Steven Wright

US Army MP (95B) 1992-1997
                      DOJ Agent/ DHS Officer 1997 to Present

Comment

• Bidstar
                        Bidstar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        As someone from the outside trying to land a Federal LEO job, what agencies in your opinion are the best to start out?

• Exbpa340
                        Exbpa340 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That’s a personal decision but here is what I’ve advised many others (including my oldest son).

1 - Border Patrol Agent. FPL is GS12 with a premium pay (BPAPRA) that adds 25 percent to your pay/high three/TSP matching. Many can do a career here and be happy. Academy is accepted for the Deportation Officer position (does require a 4 week transition course). ***Constantly hiring
                        2 - Customs and Birder Protection Officer. FPL is GS 12 with COPRA (Double time for any OT worked/better ND and Sunday pay). Many can do a career here and be happy. Academy is accepted for the Deportation Officer position (does require a 4 week transition course). ***Constantly hiring

Those are my top 2 for entry level into the Feds because they are Constantly hiring (each agency has almost 20K officers/Agents) and top out at GS 12. You can easily do a career in these two agencies.

3 - Deportation Officer. FPL is GS 12 with a premium pay (AUO + FLSA = around 33 percent). Much smaller agency and more coveted than BPA or CBPO. Much more difficult to land a position and you will be competing with CBPOs and BPAs. Best paid GS12 Fed LEO position in the nation. Many offices are M-F day shift.
                        4 - Any 1811 position. FPL is GS 13 (for most) with a premium pay (LEAP). Very competitive but rewarded very well financially.
                        5 - ICE TEO. FPL is GS 13 with a premium pay (AUO + FLSA). One the best paid FED LEOs in the nation (more than GS 13 1811s). Very few positions nationwide.

• Bidstar
                        Bidstar commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thank you sir, really appreciate your answer!, I’m definitely going to keep on the lookout for ICE when it opens and I’m putting up applications for BP
                        Last edited by Bidstar; 10-05-2020, 08:06 PM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4648 users online. 312 members and 4336 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X