• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look for a job post starting Monday Mar 9

Comment

• PA_Ed
      PA_Ed commented
      Editing a comment
      DarthBetrayU - any educated guess when the posting may go live?

• Saber5
      Saber5 commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll second that, just checked on USAJOBS, nothing there.

• For all of you anticipating this announcement I felt like I’d put my two cents out there.

I worked as a FAM for a shorter period of time before leaving to take my dream 1811 position. The job has plenty of pros and cons.

Pros:
    1) Great entry Fed LEO gig to stop the clock and get your foot in the door.
    2) If you like to travel you get to see the country AND world AND get paid pretty well for it.
    3) You’ll become a great shooter, and if you’re already a great shooter you’ll get even better.
    4) Not a lot of paperwork
    5) Training is generally excellent

Cons:
    1) The travel is intense. Your sleep will be deprived and your health will suffer.
    2) If you have a family the time with them will suffer big time.
    3) Depending on where you go management may be great or it may be terrible
    4) Since there isn’t a lot of paperwork they look at you under the microscope for more mundane activities.
    5) Depending on who you fly with depends on if
    you’ll have a good or bad trip.

I personally loved this gig. I loved traveling, and had a good squad. I still have friends from my academy class I keep in contact with. The only reason I left was for a dream 1811 job I couldn’t pass up.

The academy is no joke. FLETC Artesia is a cakewalk compared to the second stage of training. You’ll be put in high stress/high intensity situations, but you’ll be taught how to get through them. Don’t be a slouch and be in shape.

If the announcement does come out and some are lucky enough to get through just remember to stay healthy. The job can drag you down with long flights and long hours. I always made it a point to workout at least an hour every day of each trip. Also go out and see the city you’re in. You’ll have days you want to stay in the hotel the entire trip, but don’t. Get out and experience a new city and new culture. You won’t regret it.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. Obviously I can’t/won’t answer any tactical or situational questions (plus I understand there’s been some changes since I left anyway), but I’ll do my best to answer general questions on the process/training/every day life.

Comment

• Levithane
      Levithane commented
      Editing a comment
      Sheridan1 when you have free time try to find congressional hearings regarding the Federal Air Marshal Service. Post 9/11 scare many of the elected officials are not convinced that the Air Marshal Service is a sound use of american tax dollars. This is in part because Air Marshals rarely make an arrest, if at all. Mismanagement of the agency, and reported alcohol abuse problem among some Air Marshals have also made law makers take another look at the agency. None of this reflective of my views, but is merely what is public information found from a search engine.

• CUBroncs10
      CUBroncs10 commented
      Editing a comment
      Completely understand if you can't answer, but generally speaking, do your duties end when you land? My current job travels a lot so family time can be hard but generally, I know a lot of trips before hand and my wife can come with me (our expense) so when I'm not working we can sight see together.

• HiFlyR
      HiFlyR commented
      Editing a comment
      Sheridan1 like Levithane said it all comes down to Congress and my understanding is the budget to FAMS has been consistently slashed or had money transferred to other portions of TSA. I think there’s a general consensus travel is safer and FAMS aren’t needed as much, but talking to flight attendants 95% of them were appreciative to have us on board. I always viewed the job as FAMS were a very high priced insurance policy. You may not need it every day but the one time a disaster happens you’ll be happy you have it. I will always support the agency and the guys there. It would be a shame if it went away entirely.

CUBroncs10 you get downtime on some trips, but I would highly advise against having your spouse or family fly on the same flights as you when you’re working. Obviously one factor is if something did happen you’d be torn to commit to your duties or save your family, or it could blow your “cover”. That being said a perk of the job was some trips took me to cities where I had family and friends. I always made it a point to have dinner or hang out with them when I was in town.

• GenesisPure1
      GenesisPure1 commented
      Editing a comment
      CUBroncs10 HAHA, you are welcome to invite the wife, good luck getting her out of bed when you land. Usually less than 24 hours down on international trips. After you rest you have enough time to eat dinner then go back to bed to reset for the return flight.

• Originally posted by HiFlyR View Post
    For all of you anticipating this announcement I felt like I’d put my two cents out there.

I worked as a FAM for a shorter period of time before leaving to take my dream 1811 position. The job has plenty of pros and cons.

Pros:
    1) Great entry Fed LEO gig to stop the clock and get your foot in the door.
    2) If you like to travel you get to see the country AND world AND get paid pretty well for it.
    3) You’ll become a great shooter, and if you’re already a great shooter you’ll get even better.
    4) Not a lot of paperwork
    5) Training is generally excellent

Cons:
    1) The travel is intense. Your sleep will be deprived and your health will suffer.
    2) If you have a family the time with them will suffer big time.
    3) Depending on where you go management may be great or it may be terrible
    4) Since there isn’t a lot of paperwork they look at you under the microscope for more mundane activities.
    5) Depending on who you fly with depends on if
    you’ll have a good or bad trip.

I personally loved this gig. I loved traveling, and had a good squad. I still have friends from my academy class I keep in contact with. The only reason I left was for a dream 1811 job I couldn’t pass up.

The academy is no joke. FLETC Artesia is a cakewalk compared to the second stage of training. You’ll be put in high stress/high intensity situations, but you’ll be taught how to get through them. Don’t be a slouch and be in shape.

If the announcement does come out and some are lucky enough to get through just remember to stay healthy. The job can drag you down with long flights and long hours. I always made it a point to workout at least an hour every day of each trip. Also go out and see the city you’re in. You’ll have days you want to stay in the hotel the entire trip, but don’t. Get out and experience a new city and new culture. You won’t regret it.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask. Obviously I can’t/won’t answer any tactical or situational questions (plus I understand there’s been some changes since I left anyway), but I’ll do my best to answer general questions on the process/training/every day life.
    Sent you a chat message but dunno if you get those. Your PMs are turned off. Can you enable it or should we ask questions here?

Comment

• HiFlyR
      HiFlyR commented
      Editing a comment
      Feel free to ask on the post if you think it will be helpful to others. I did reply to your chat message.

• Lawndart32
      Lawndart32 commented
      Editing a comment
      HiFlyR you’re spot on! Your teams and field office makes a big difference in how you view the job. (Individual experiences may vary)
      Last edited by Lawndart32; 03-15-2020, 06:54 PM.

• Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about hiring? Thank you

Comment

• Originally posted by Gs800ya View Post
      Hi guys, I’m new to the forum and was wondering if anyone has heard anything about hiring? Thank you
      replying to your post to get notification on an answer to this.

Comment

• Look for an announcement towards the end of September.
        Last edited by Montey; 08-28-2020, 12:41 PM.

Comment

• Grape soda
          Grape soda commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey, I missed the webinar, was there anything else mentioned today

• That’s crazy they may finally hire. I’ve been waiting on my Final offer since 2017. I have went to another agency. Now I’m waiting for my new agency.

Comment

• It's open:

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/579352500
          Timeline:
          DAL-ERO-10676067-DH-MJ --- Applied 1/15/20 --- Many steps & some COVID delay ---
          EOD end of FY 20

((≡≡))

Comment

• Page
            Page commented
            Editing a comment
            I find it so interesting to see the evolution of the polygraph profession within DHS. It looks like CBP needs to update what they are telling applicants in their poly Q&A:

https://www.cbp.gov/careers/car/poly

Because it appears to conflict with the FAMS vacancy. Specifically,

CBP:

"Q: If I do not successfully complete the CBP polygraph examination, will that preclude me from applying for other federal law enforcement positions? A: No. Other agencies can request the status of your application process with CBP, but the results do not preclude you from applying for other jobs."

vs. FAMS entry level Air Marshal announcement:

"POLYGRAPH EXAMINATION: Selectees must successfully complete and achieve favorable results on a law enforcement pre-employment polygraph examination. If applicants have previously taken a Department of Homeland Security-administered polygraph within the last three years, favorable or unfavorable results from that polygraph examination may apply to this announcement."

CBP says that an unfavorable poly with them does not put you out of the running for non-CBP LE jobs. Whereas for FAMS, they ARE saying that an unfavorable DHS poly, such as obviously CBP's, may impact someone's FAMS application.

I guess CBP needs to update their website and say something along the lines of: No, an unfavorable CBP poly in the last three years does not preclude you from applying for FAMS ... but ... applying might be as far as you ever get due to an unfavorable CBP poly.

• Just applied from your link. I wonder if im too late since its 12 hours later lol

Comment

• big_bob_69
            big_bob_69 commented
            Editing a comment
            I think it usually won't let you apply if they've received the 9,000 apps. So you're probably good.

• Jagger3939
            Jagger3939 commented
            Editing a comment
            It doesn't automatically shut off right at 9,000. It stays open until the system catches the overage amount and shuts off that night. So, more than 9,000 could theoretically apply.

• So what are the odds that this just ends up like the last posting and everyone goes home sad?

Comment

• DCFED
            DCFED commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey Muscle Dude where is a link to check the information on FAMS moving over to ICE?

• The Muscle Dude
            The Muscle Dude commented
            Editing a comment
            It's not gonna be moving to ICE (like it did before in '05-'06), but will give FAMS that are willing to go to an academy a priority to become ICE ERO or HSI.

This is one of the site:
            https://www.einnews.com/pr_news/5077...ion-conditions

They are also all over this forum and delphi.

• DCFED
            DCFED commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah I saw this before about giving FAMS an opportunity to go over to ICE/HSI. I thought congress were allowing FAMS to go back under ICE but you cleared it up for me. So what's the purpose of FAMS hiring if they are pushing their guys n gals over to ICE HSI or DEO positions.

• big_bob_69
            big_bob_69 commented
            Editing a comment
            Maybe it’s some sort of collaboration with ICE/HSI to help hire some people for those agencies? I think BP did something similar before where they hired a bunch of people in the FAMS
            waiting pool.

• I suppose for a young, single dude the traveling would be a blast?

Comment

• big_bob_69
            big_bob_69 commented
            Editing a comment
            You’re not gonna be young by the time you get hired

• Lawndart32
            Lawndart32 commented
            Editing a comment
            I went through the hiring in 2016 and it was literally 9 months to the EOD. Faster than any agency I’ve seen.

• Originally posted by HSIApplicant View Post
          I suppose for a young, single dude the traveling would be a blast?
          Ha!

Comment

• just applied... good luck everyone

Comment

• Just applied as well. Good Luck.

Comment

• Good luck to those who applied. The job is really what you make of it. See my posts above for my experience. Feel free to post questions and I’ll answer what I can (obviously nothing too in depth). I enjoyed my time with FAMS but there’s pros and cons with every job.

Comment

• Swift_Justice301
                  Swift_Justice301 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have a few questions regarding pay. I just applied as well, coming from a County PD, and was wondering if we could negotiate our salary on the G band toward the higher end. Also, how exactly is locality pay and LEAP calculated?

If I understand it correctly, (maxing out G Band upon entry)

66,943 + (DC Locality 30.48% = $20,404) = $87,347 (Base + Locality)
                  Times that by .25 (LEAP) = $21,836
                  Then add $87,347 (Base + Locality) + $21,836 (LEAP) = $109,183

Are my numbers correct or am I going crazy?

• Jagger3939
                  Jagger3939 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Deleted....
                  Last edited by Jagger3939; 10-03-2020, 02:04 PM.

• HiFlyR
                  HiFlyR commented
                  Editing a comment
                  @Swift_Justice301
                  1) I've heard you can negotiate within the G-band on initial hiring. I know some people who did (mostly veterans and people with LE experience) and some who they told to go pound sand. However, even those who negotiated weren't "maxing out G-Band". I think it was maybe $5,000-$10,000 range more.

2) LEAP includes Base+locality. So if you want to figure it out the equation is (Base+Locality)x1.25

3) FAMs also get night diff, weekend pay, holiday pay, etc. so there's a little more added in. I always worked the holidays because it was nice to get double pay!

4) Per diem as well (even though it's not counted toward your pension) is still a nice chunk of change. However, always view it as an additional sum and not part of a monthly budget as it can fluctuate. I had my per diem checks deposited into a completely separate account and only paid my work travel card out of it. Man, did that account grow quickly!

• Jagger3939
                  Jagger3939 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Are all trips overnight, or are many back in the same day? Trying to figure out how it works being married yet over 75% of your job being travel.... if you were single it seems on face-value more financially smart to own a storage unit and rent AirBnBs when not traveling.... if the 75% travel is really true.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4757 users online. 322 members and 4435 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X