Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Readying the FY19 proposed budget it doesn't look good for anyone holding out to get on with FAMS. Hiring freeze is proposed to continue and reduction in force.

Comment

• Gotcha8402
      Gotcha8402 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah.... what does the 2018 budget that was passed look like. I’m hoping there is enough to hire off that.

• bellyer
      bellyer commented
      Editing a comment
      Surely, FAMS must need at least 1-2 more classes of new hires in the next 12-18 months to backfill some of the attrition, right? I'm sure they can find a little budgetary wiggle room to hire a few of us that are still in the Ready Pool. Please, please, please...

• Where are you reading a FAMS hiring freeze? Specific agency appropriations are drafted by the house and senate which have not been completed yet. The White House fy 19 proposal calls for a Homeland security increase of 8% in funding. It doesn’t state anything specific related to Fams.

Comment

• Well Second look , OMB requests a complete elimination of VIPR program for fy 19. That’s not good.

Comment

• Esco
        Esco commented
        Editing a comment
        VIPR was the best assignment in the service. I think they are coming close to their magic number and after that no more FAM’s will be hired, no more transfers between offices etc.

• invertedPanda
        invertedPanda commented
        Editing a comment
        I think this is just getting out ahead of the re-org of the executive branch. I don't see FAMS having much of a future within TSA if things continue. Constant reduction within their budget and focus of money going towards screening force, 3D x-rays, more K9's etc. I thought the funny thing in the FY19 budget request was spending millions of dollars on the explosive experts (pretty much made up of all former military EOD). Not a bad paying gig for doing very little to no work.

• https://centreforaviation.com/news/u...roposal-767866
      us, regulation, security, budget, aad, aviation security, americas airports, headline, abd, rardaily, us tsa, security & safety, airport charge

Comment

• To be optimistic , I don’t see them extending the conditional offer to two years for no reason. They would have had to expect something along the hiring lines in FY 19 or else they could have simply let the list expire.

Comment

• invertedPanda
          invertedPanda commented
          Editing a comment
          You're talking about TSA extending offers. But this proposal is from the White House. Ultimately, it's going to be congress to pass and decide to give or not give the President what he is requesting, but I would expect them to follow along those lines of this particular proposal. If you watch homeland security congressional meetings, most on those panels aren't happy with the FAMS office.

• Black Ops
          Black Ops commented
          Editing a comment
          I prefer this outlook. https://www.theatlantic.com/politics...ngress/553085/

• While I know that Trump's budget doesn't seem to give us hope that there will be much, if any, hiring to pick us Ready Pool folks up, I did find an article just now that talks about the U.S. and Mexico discussing adding U.S. FAMs to their cross-border flights. If you ask me, it seems like optimistic news in that they'll need bodies... https://in.reuters.com/article/usa-m...KBN1FJ04R?il=0
        Mexico and the United States are looking into whether armed U.S. federal air marshals could be deployed on commercial cross-border flights, according to a document seen by Reuters and a Mexican official, as Mexico deepens security ties with its neighbour.

Comment

• Well the only good news is that Congress rarely adopts the Presidents budget and forms their own. Example fy18 presidential budget called for cutting Dept of Commerce by 33% and actual cuts were only 6%. At same time congress could ignore other cuts but just decide to stick it to the FAMS if they want to. Appropriations are to be done by 3/22. I guess we’ll see then.

Comment

• Anyone happen to read the 2,000 page budget omnibus relating to FAMS appropriations?

http://docs.house.gov/billsthisweek/...-RCP115-66.pdf
            Last edited by Black Ops; 03-22-2018, 02:45 AM.

Comment

• pas207
              pas207 commented
              Editing a comment
              https://www.appropriations.senate.go...-bill-released
              https://www.appropriations.senate.go...i-homeland-sum

"Transportation Security Administration (TSA) – $4.9 billion for TSA, $260 million below the FY2017 funding level and $804 million above the FY2018 budget request. The bill makes important investments in screening technology to adapt to emerging threats and maintains the efforts of the Federal Flight Deck Officer and Crew Training Program and the Screening Partnership Program. The bill includes several additions above the request including: $126 million for Aviation Screening Operations; $64 million to accelerate the procurement and testing of computed tomography equipment at airports; $45 million to sustain the Law Enforcement Officer Reimbursement Program; $50 million to reimburse airports for baggage screening investments; and $43 million to maintain 31 Visible Intermodal Prevention Response teams."

• Black Ops
              Black Ops commented
              Editing a comment
              That has to be good , considering the presidents original request called for complete elimination of Viper programs

• i see nothing about FAMs appropriations

Comment

• Black Ops
              Black Ops commented
              Editing a comment
              I saw DOJs budget info but I didn’t see anything on DHS at all... did u ?

• Has anyone heard anything on training dates or are they still staying with 2019

Comment

• I heard everything from no one really knows to letting List expire and no hiring until 2020.
              Last edited by Black Ops; 03-30-2018, 04:51 PM.

Comment

• Does anyone know when FAMS will be posting for new applicants?

Comment

• Esco
                  Esco commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Former FAM with lots of friends still there. Probably no time soon. Maybe not for a few years I’m hearing. They are doing some reorganizing.

• invertedPanda
                  invertedPanda commented
                  Editing a comment
                  From what I've gathered from the Administrator's town hall where he presented the future vision for TSA and coming organizational change within TSA, FAMS is getting some changes. Budgets are focusing on screening and technology/new equipment. There weren't many specifics but the main change to FAMS is one that seems to be of one that has been needed/wanted for years. No word on future hiring but it seemed like they will be operating with less and aren't really a priority.

If you pay attention to congressional homeland security meetings they aren't big on FAMS. Even the timing of this recent article was interesting given it came out right around the time the Admin put out his changes.
                  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/25/u...tigations.html

I would say unless there is a huge crisis or several major hijackings that puts a need for on boarding new FAMS quickly they wont be a priority.

• Has anyone looked into the CBP/Border Patrol process?
                The email said we could skip a lot of steps in the hiring process due to passing several steps in the FAMS process but I missed the web session.

Comment

• bellyer
                  bellyer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought about joining the session, but when I did not see any mention of LEAP (unless I'm mistaken) and saw that relocation expenses were not going to be covered, I decided against pursuing the opportunity. Keeping my fingers crossed for FAMS to open up in the new fiscal and before I age out in January...…...

• BP3
                  BP3 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  bellyer CBPO’s are classified as 1895s, so they are not eligible for LEAP like 1811s and 1801s are. Just like CBPO, unless you are being hired into a supervisory position, FAMS will not cover your relocation expenses.

• bellyer
                  bellyer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  BP3 - Right. I get that. The nice thing about the FAMS possibility that I've got is that there is no need for me to relocate. I live five miles from the FAMS office that I have been in the hiring process for, but there are no CBP locations being hired for anywhere near me. FAMS I wouldn't have to relocate. CBP I would have to.

• This was the email I received today in regards to the CBP/BP process. I was pending a drug screening before they cancelled our process.

Through CBP’s close partnership with TSA, we were notified that you successfully completed multiple steps in the FAMS hiring process and come highly recommended. Since CBP’s hiring steps are similar to a FAMS candidate, approval has been granted for you to skip certain steps in the CBP hiring process, including the Background Investigation (e-QIP) and Polygraph Exam!

Comment

• J.C29
                  J.C29 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I just accepted an offer from CBP the other week. I applied back in January, so 5 months is pretty fast for an offer. My equip was saved from FAMS, so all I needed to do was update some dates, which didn't take long. I also didn't have to take the poly, because the one I took for FAMS was still good.

• I too received this email but about a month after I applied to CBP. The process couldn’t have been more simple. They reciprocated my poly. The eQip was the same. Just had to verify and submit. All I had to do was go to one interview(which was super easy) and a drug test. I went to a local Marine recruiter and had him proctor my PT test and sent that back right away. I’m now %85 done with the process. Just waiting for my background to go through. Everything else is complete. Hasn’t even been two months since applying and I was done with all MY steps by 4 Jun. Hopefully they won’t leave us hanging like FAMS did. Good luck to you all.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5164 users online. 323 members and 4841 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X