Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone have any idea when FAMS will have another job posting?

Comment

• invertedPanda
      invertedPanda commented
      Editing a comment
      4 to 5 years, budget depending, Possibly never if current Administrator and Congress realize the money they waste with it and could possible due the same mission in other areas with other or existing resources for less money. It will be interesting to see what the re-org will do...

• 4GodnCntry
      4GodnCntry commented
      Editing a comment
      invertedPanda I'm just curious what you mean by doing the same mission in other areas with existing resources? Do you mean have LEO's from other agencies do this job and get rid of FAMs?

• Waiting pool Email, LA!

Comment

• bellyer
      bellyer commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to the waiting party!

• After getting to the pre-appointment background step in March, my status finally updated yesterday to "Not Qualified". I'm pretty bummed out but don't completely understand what happened. I never even went in for a poly. Anyone else in a similar boat?

Comment

• chipperjones
      chipperjones commented
      Editing a comment
      judging off your info on your post about your background, that is why they disqualified you. Plenty of applicants without that baggage, so they made you fill out the SF 86, saw arrests and drinking issues and DQ you off of that.

• I've been monitoring this forum for a while, and figured it was time to post. Completed Poly and Background Check on 04/18/2017, cleared my Medical portion on 07/10/2017 and have been placed in the famous ready pool since. My location is ATL, so it could be a little while, but in 2016 they also had quite a few new hires there. I figure at the very soonest, it'll be after the new fiscal year starts before they get back to hiring.

Comment

• cpusername
      cpusername commented
      Editing a comment
      Meant to comment to chipperjones:

Yup. Confirmed with the letter in the mail. I sent a rebuttal but you're right, plenty of healthier applicants. I guess I should go find a new career prospect now. Any suggestions for a traveler with baggage?

• chipperjones
      chipperjones commented
      Editing a comment
      Good luck to you, cpusername. everyone has their faults. government might make you wait for a longer period of time than other places... just need more time between your past and who you are now. and of course building that resume. Good luck to you.

• So with the budget passed or pushed out till December 8th, does anybody have any ideas when the next class will be?

Comment

• Esco
      Esco commented
      Editing a comment
      I have a friend at ACY, as far as I know they still have classes coming through. Former 5 year FAM.

• tpearce71
      tpearce71 commented
      Editing a comment
      So does this mean that the field offices will be hiring based on last years budget or wait until December to send out final offers?

Last edited by Captwoosah; 10-06-2017, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• bellyer
      bellyer commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing that news report, BCRT! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get an offer before my year expires from completing the process. I want this job so much!

Man, I had forgotten just how ugly... I mean beautiful FLETC Artesia is, since having gone there for Mixed Basic with Secret Service UD years ago.

• Smallz77
      Smallz77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Captwoosah, thanks for the incite, Just wondering where you heard that from? Not doubting you, i've just heard/been reading conflicting information.

Thanks!

• Captwoosah
      Captwoosah commented
      Editing a comment
      Last edited by Captwoosah; 10-06-2017, 01:58 PM.

• mxh
      mxh commented
      Editing a comment
      hey, hope all is well Capt. Tried sending you a PM recently, but it's not working. Can you PM when you get a chance?

• So if you reach that 12 month mark and your test expires is that it for your application?

Comment

• AFerg85
      AFerg85 commented
      Editing a comment
      I talked to HR Access yesterday, and it isn't the 12 months that's concerning. Our background investigations are only good for 6 months, which in this case, puts mine to expire this month.

• bellyer
      bellyer commented
      Editing a comment
      AFerg85 - Are you saying that the Pre-Employment Background Check is only good for 6 months or that the one for your BI is only good for 6 months? If we are able to sit in the Applicant Ready Pool for a full 12 months, I would assume that they would just re-run the pre-employment background check before a final offer if it is only valid for 6 months, right?

Also, tpearce - I don't think that it is 12 months from the poly. I got my notification that I was being placed in the Ready Pool in July notifying me that I had completed all phases of the process and would be kept in the pool for 12 months, but my poly had been back in May. I would assume (hopefully not incorrectly) that the 12 months in the ready pool would be 12 months from receipt of the ready pool e-mail when I had completed all phases of hiring, would it not?
      Last edited by bellyer; 10-11-2017, 10:57 AM.

• tpearce71
      tpearce71 commented
      Editing a comment
      "Only the drug screen expires after 6 months. The Medical and the Background results are good for one year."

This is directly from an email I received from HR. I would assume poly is part of the background.But we will see, it all depends on the budget also the GAO hit the FAMs pretty hard as to their effectiveness.
      http://www.newsweek.com/tsas-800m-ai...s-audit-663374

• tpearce71
      tpearce71 commented
      Editing a comment
      also, the House of Reps passed a reconciliation addendum that would look to end the defined pension plan and raise employee contributions 1 percent each year for the next 5 or 6 years. They are also looking to end the supplemental retirement which is very important to Fed LE because they are required to retire at age 57.

• Thanks for sharing that info, tpearce. I've got to say, as someone heavily involved in the information security field, I disagree with some of the case the GAO is attempting to make (sure, I've got skin in the game, so I'm a bit biased towards the FAMS on this, but doing my best to remain objective...). Obviously, the GAO has some smart people working there, but they have to realize that it is extremely difficult to put a price on prevention. We see billions of dollars in breaches of systems owned by private corporations and hacks of government systems, incidents that many of us have fallen victim to (thanks OPM and Equifax and Yahoo and Target and Home Depot and......). In many cases, the breaches have occurred because these organizations have been lax in their security standards or because there have been weak links in the system (end users who do not understand how to detect and not fall victim to phishing scams. For each of these big name breaches that have cost these organizations billions of dollars, there are countless untold stories of companies who are taking a proactive approach to security that will never be splashed across the front page of any newspaper/blog/website for their incredible ability to prevent breaches/attacks on their systems. It is next to impossible to say how much money is saved and how many lives are saved by being proactive in one's attention to the security of a system or a nation. Sure, there have to be limits put in place on how much money can be shelled out on security before it becomes counterproductive, but to say that the FAMS are largely ineffective because they cannot tie a specific metric to the effectiveness of the job is flat out ridiculous.

Comment

• invertedPanda
      invertedPanda commented
      Editing a comment
      It's really not that ridiculous. If you don't produce results to justify your position, why is your position there in the first place? What are you doing with all that money and time? It's only a matter of time before congress starts asking those questions. And when OLE/FAMS (lets face it the OLE/FAMS office might be apart of TSA but they certainly act like they are in their own special secretive lane) doesn't play ball and produce what is asked congress will start to think of new ways to spend that money and do the same job with existing resources. This reorg that's coming is going to be interesting.

Screening force of TSA can justify their positions and budget request and they are still in large part a deterrent too. The difference is they keep track of the dangerous items that are found in passenger luggage and boast about it on social media. OLE/FAMS acts like they are clandestine CIA officers.

• bellyer
      bellyer commented
      Editing a comment
      I completely get what you are saying, invertedPanda. Really, I do. And I understand what GAO is saying. *But* there are certain things that really are immeasurable and this can very well be one of them. Can a price be put on the fact that your bank has (hopefully) implemented enough safe guards to ensure that your retirement accounts and those of the rest of their customers have not been liquidated by attackers? The jobs of a TSA screener and a Federal Air Marshal, while both can serve as deterrents, are different and they each serve their own unique purpose. What I was saying is ridiculous is the fact that GAO is essentially stating that FAMS are ineffective because they cannot be measured in their effectiveness. That is definitely not accurate.

Again, I do understand both sides of the coin on this issue and I'm not saying that blank checks should be written to fund FAMS or any other agency out there because there is a good faith assurance that they are doing their jobs. What I was saying is ridiculous is that they can come out and say that FAMS are ineffective simply because they aren't producing arrests of high value targets on 75% of flights (steep exaggeration of a metric, I know).

• Don't get me wrong I think the GAO is wrong because as it was satiated earlier, it's hard to put a number on prevention as well as security...I just worry it my affect hiring...

Comment

• Is the FAM polygraph program similar to CBP's where more than 80% of applicants fail?

Comment

• tpearce71
        tpearce71 commented
        Editing a comment
        Not sure, never took the CBP poly. However, there is a good bit of us in the waiting pool that made it through it. I haven't heard from anyone who failed it yet. Then again I doubt they'd advertise.

• Hey guys. I am new at this forum. I applied for the SC SA position and just wanting more clarity of the process. I applied a month ago and haven't heard anything from the recruiting department. I am a fed now in criminal investigation, prior mil, speaks languages, and have 3 college degrees.

Comment

• Esco
        Esco commented
        Editing a comment
        You wanna be a FAM? Curious why? You must be non 1811 non 6C?

• I sent an email to HR today and they stated they still have not received the approved budget for new hires. Also, stated that it might have to wait until march to for the budget to be passed. Just updating everyone from what i heard.

Comment

• I can see HR saying there is no current budget for hire yet, but no way would HR have any idea on when a budget would be passed unless connected with someone on an oversight committee
        Last edited by Black Ops; 10-17-2017, 07:40 PM.

Comment

• My magic 8 ball says "we are ******".... take it for what it is worth.

Comment

• Welp the Senate approved a budget plan Thursday. Hopefully, it won't be too much longer until it gets passed.

Comment

• bellyer
              bellyer commented
              Editing a comment
              Fingers crossed....

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12352 users online. 485 members and 11867 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X