Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NYC FO...COE (3/16). Just received my EQUIP email today (3/21). Going to try and get this done tonight or tomorrow night.

Comment

• Has anyone heard any new updates about when the course is or what not? Hopefully as we move along the process more info is made available.

Comment

Last edited by adrian_clark; 11-02-2017, 12:09 AM.

Comment

• Anyone have a contact/friend in NYC who can speak on the salary? Or anyone do an accurate estimation for salary with locality pay?

55-60K plus 28% locality pay doesn't seem like it will be enough for big city living.

Comment

• Originally posted by cpusername View Post
            Anyone have a contact/friend in NYC who can speak on the salary? Or anyone do an accurate estimation for salary with locality pay?

55-60K plus 28% locality pay doesn't seem like it will be enough for big city living.
            It all depends where you want to live, there are affordable places here in NYC.
            stay humble

Comment

• Originally posted by cpusername View Post
              Anyone have a contact/friend in NYC who can speak on the salary? Or anyone do an accurate estimation for salary with locality pay?

Get ready for that commute...

Comment

• COE on 3/16. Just got eQuip email about 10mins ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by SSG View Post

Get ready for that commute...
                  Yea if you don't drive, you'd have to take the bus to get there ( ny fo )
                  stay humble

Comment

• Originally posted by SVO1983 View Post
                    Yea if you don't drive, you'd have to take the bus to get there ( ny fo )
                    You guys think we'll break 80k for NYC? I'll just live in my car to avoid that commute.

Comment

• Not sure, but you just have to live within your means and you'll be fine. Yes, NYC is expensive but, you can find a decent place to live and have a car without thinking you'll go broke and eat ramen noodles every day.
                      stay humble

Comment

• Originally posted by SVO1983 View Post
                        Not sure, but you just have to live within your means and you'll be fine. Yes, NYC is expensive but, you can find a decent place to live and have a car without thinking you'll go broke and eat ramen noodles every day.
                        Lol. That's not my concern. I'm weighing employment opportunities against cost. I've seen a few videos on youtube of news stories depicting FAM life being harsh and stressful on people and their family lives.

I should have asked during the FO interview what the lifestyle is like and what is there to expect. I'm picturing an irritating commute to the FO for routine things and the rest of the scene in airports around the North/Southeast. I'm single with no children so I can live that lifestyle for a while without taking a toll on my soul.

As much as being a FAM is a dream job for me, weighing employment opportunities against salary and lifestyle is the pragmatic thing to do. If the salary isn't competitive and most of the daily scenery is traffic and busy airports, it might not be worth tolerating the lifestyle.

On the flip side - being a FAM is a great opportunity to provide duty and secure American safety. It might be the only law enforcement job where people don't hate you for giving them tickets.

Comment

• cpusername As far as family most the guys that interviewed me were married as am I and they said it's a bit hard in family but it's rewarding. But I definitely get your point of view
                          stay humble

Comment

• cpusername I have done the math and at a 50K base (figured I would use the mid point) with LEAP and locality pay it would put you around 78K. I have talked to a few people that said youll probably make closer to 90-100K due to the over night trips etc because supposedly you get your overtime/per diem pay on those trips. Don't quote me on the last part but figure at least 78-85 depending on where you end up with the base salary. For the training you only get base and locality. You don't get leap pay until your sworn in and have your shield.

Comment

• I've heard you only have to be at your assigned FO 1 week a month, so making the move close to your FO isn't required. The commute that 1 week would suck, but I would take that over high cost of living. Now that's coming from someone who is already on the east coast (MD), and received the NYC FO.

Comment

• TeeWhy23 and @krene0723
                                Thank you both for the info. I was just about to sit down this morning and figure out the salary. Those terms seem fair and commute once a week isn't bad either.

Does anyone know if we are allowed to collect frequent flyer miles?

My experiences with the DoD and the Joint Travel Regulations specified the miles "technically belonged to the government" but people were able to collect them and Travel Officials never enforced the policy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7136 users online. 229 members and 6907 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X