Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All of a sudden I'm not too optimistic about my chances with the Houston FO. Just saw on the news that Trump plans to cut TSA's budget by 11 percent. I'm thinking that's gonna have an effect on hiring for the small FOs like Houston if they even have an open spot for me. I guess time will tell

Comment

• Originally posted by davidjbar View Post
      All of a sudden I'm not too optimistic about my chances with the Houston FO. Just saw on the news that Trump plans to cut TSA's budget by 11 percent. I'm thinking that's gonna have an effect on hiring for the small FOs like Houston if they even have an open spot for me. I guess time will tell
      I don't know man, i guess we will see. It would really suck to spend all this money and pass everything only to have no real job offers...

*edit*

This article explains in detail where the cuts are coming from, and FAMS is not mentioned:
      http://www.fedsmith.com/2017/03/08/t...rder-security/

Comment

• Originally posted by 0311 Roughneck View Post

I don't know man, i guess we will see. It would really suck to spend all this money and pass everything only to have no real job offers...

*edit*

This article explains in detail where the cuts are coming from, and FAMS is not mentioned:
        http://www.fedsmith.com/2017/03/08/t...rder-security/
        Good to know, now I just hope the Houston FO has a spot for me. When the lady who called me asked I told her I'm willing to go to AC for the medical and poly to speed up the process. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be money wasted.

Comment

• Originally posted by davidjbar View Post

Good to know, now I just hope the Houston FO has a spot for me. When the lady who called me asked I told her I'm willing to go to AC for the medical and poly to speed up the process. Hopefully that doesn't turn out to be money wasted.
          Same here, i guess when the time comes they will be able to give us an idea on what hotel we need to stay at.

Comment

• Originally posted by 0311 Roughneck View Post

Same here, i guess when the time comes they will be able to give us an idea on what hotel we need to stay at.
            I'm fairly positive they don't do that. Once you get the call to go to AC or wherever for the medical/poly flight and lodging is up to you.

Comment

• Hey guys!

I'm hoping someone here with a LE/DHS can help with my question.

Question: I am concerned about passing the polygraph/background check phase of the hiring process because I have a less than perfect history. My main concern is the hiring process itself. It has been decentralized in nature and I've encountered a different person at every step of this process (interviews, FO assessments, HR calls, etc). I am afraid I won't be looked at holistically and my "imperfect" background explained to the right people.

I know the polygraph is not intended to alienate people and the general theme is to be honest but the research I've found in this forum is that people can perform so poorly due to nervousness that they void their examination.

Context: Received COE. I am a veteran with no LE background. I've never had a polygraph examination. I've held a TS clearance before and have had a clearance adjudicated in the wake of imperfect behavior (arrests explained below). I am not concerned about passing a re-investigation. I wanted to find resources about what the examination is like; how deeply do they prod issues; will I ever be able to explain the context of the legal issues in my background to the FAM hiring authorities or will everything potentially be halted by a subcontracted polygraph examiner's subjective/interpretive summary?

Details: I developed a drinking problem during the last few years of my service due to depression and divorce related issues. It was a span of 9-12 months of issues with a few arrests in my history. I have no convictions and have 1 dismissal (which I am currently expunging). It seems like my issues did not come up during the finger printing WEBS process of the FO assessment but I am unsure how deep that initial background check is. I passed the previous steps and have been presented an COE so I must have did something right. I fixed my drinking issues, I no longer drink, I continued on to do great things during my service (post alcoholism) and even in my personal life (mostly academic stuff and ran marathons - amazing how much time you free up when you don't drink anymore)

Does anyone here have an experience, a resource to point out, or advice on how to approach this discussion with a polygraph examiner/background check investigator/FAM hiring authority?

I'm under the impression that polygraph examinations are yes/no questions.

"Are you a crazy drunk anymore?" - "No"

"Great you pass! Green check!"

Comment

• Haven't received an e-quip email yet (4 days post offer), should I reach out to someone yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by cpusername View Post
                  Hey guys!

Question: I am concerned about passing the polygraph/background check phase of the hiring process because I have a less than perfect history. My main concern is the hiring process itself. It has been decentralized in nature and I've encountered a different person at every step of this process (interviews, FO assessments, HR calls, etc). I am afraid I won't be looked at holistically and my "imperfect" background explained to the right people.

I know the polygraph is not intended to alienate people and the general theme is to be honest but the research I've found in this forum is that people can perform so poorly due to nervousness that they void their examination.

Context: Received COE. I am a veteran with no LE background. I've never had a polygraph examination. I've held a TS clearance before and have had a clearance adjudicated in the wake of imperfect behavior (arrests explained below). I am not concerned about passing a re-investigation. I wanted to find resources about what the examination is like; how deeply do they prod issues; will I ever be able to explain the context of the legal issues in my background to the FAM hiring authorities or will everything potentially be halted by a subcontracted polygraph examiner's subjective/interpretive summary?

Details: I developed a drinking problem during the last few years of my service due to depression and divorce related issues. It was a span of 9-12 months of issues with a few arrests in my history. I have no convictions and have 1 dismissal (which I am currently expunging). It seems like my issues did not come up during the finger printing WEBS process of the FO assessment but I am unsure how deep that initial background check is. I passed the previous steps and have been presented an COE so I must have did something right. I fixed my drinking issues, I no longer drink, I continued on to do great things during my service (post alcoholism) and even in my personal life (mostly academic stuff and ran marathons - amazing how much time you free up when you don't drink anymore)

Does anyone here have an experience, a resource to point out, or advice on how to approach this discussion with a polygraph examiner/background check investigator/FAM hiring authority?

I have been reading up on the poly and background portion of this process and during my research I found a great resource. Not sure if you heard of this guy, but his name is Jim Henessey and he's a retired background investigator. He is on linked-in and has a company
                  that assists with security clearances. I'm sharing the company's website in case you want to contact him to discuss your questions. http://www.jlh86.com/

Comment

• Originally posted by PG123 View Post
                    Haven't received an e-quip email yet (4 days post offer), should I reach out to someone yet?
                    I was going to give them a week until i started making calls. When i got my COE they told me that it should take a bout a week or two to get the eqip information. They also said that they are hiring a substantial amount people and they were trying to move the process along quickly ( well quick for the feds)

Comment

• Received e-qip email today. COE received and accepted 3/6

Comment

• Originally posted by bellyer View Post
                        Got my offer for Chicago!
                        O'hare is an F'N monster. Good luck and congratulations!!!
                        OUT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Hanson37 View Post

How do people fail the medical? Is it an extensive exam?
                          Alot of people may not meet the general hearing or vision requirements. In regards to vision, I would suggest taking a look at the requirements. If you don't meet them and you really want this job, I would suggest getting Lasik ASAP.
                          OUT!!

Comment

Hey guys!

I can tell you I am by no means an expert on this process, but after having several buddies in similar situations with local depts., feds, blah blah blah. It comes down to being truthful and not minimizing. Just lay it out and whatever happens, happens.

The Poly is trash, but mostly used to get people to admit to crap that is not found on paper somewhere. I have had one in the past and they were like "you showed significant response to drug use" my response was that I had never used any type of drugs before and it was a great point of pride for me, given the area I grew up in and such. They seemed to be ok with that and I passed. I think just being able to speak to anything that you show a reaction to seems to be the key there.

The real hurdle may be in the whole drinking thing though. My buddy was a very similar situation....drank a lot and had an arrest..turned down by everyone, Prior TS/SCI. Why hire you over a guy with a similar background, but he's clean?.. Good luck to you though! any questions you can Pm me.

Comment

• I got the check over "Selection Decision" on the 1st but still haven't gotten a call. Anybody else in the same boat?

Comment

Hey guys!

Not sure but I think if you were discharged honorably you should be fine. I have taken two polys from two different agencies and the best bet is to just be honest during the background investigation. As long as you aren't currently drinking, you should be fine. Just be sure to disclose everything in the SF86 and the security interview. Once you are in the polygraph chair just relax, be open, and be honest.

When I did my polygraph, I was just honest.

Also, I hope this episode in your life didn't happen when you had a Clearance. That my be a hurdle.
                                Last edited by Radio Raheem; 03-09-2017, 12:31 PM.
                                OUT!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4436 users online. 229 members and 4207 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X