300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by rms0012 View Post
    Thanks for the incredibly formative posts from all. I'm a local LEO now, have several years in, and am going through several processes, including CBP and a few extremely large local agencies. It does seem at the end of the day the monotony gets to people with the FAMS. With that said, it is not my #1 choice among job prospects for the points the above posts.

What, other than pay, would you say is biggest upside to this job? I love traveling, and I know this is strictly business, but there has to be some ability to take advantage of all the places you'll go, right?
    Stops your clock, see the USA and lots of other countries, hotel points (No airline miles), shooting skills, meet other LEOs while they travel, it's a great opportunity IMO.

Comment

• Hey everyone. I applied to the announcement last March and went through all the motions and received a Stopped at selection decision. I have applied again but this time instead of just picking my field office it says "To Be Determined." Anyone know why that is? I believe it just allowed me to choose last time and then I awaited a phone call to schedule the interview etc..

Comment

• Any info as to why some of us are still waiting on the "Met Requirements" status to update? Mine is still showing that pesky star instead of the green checkmark.

Comment

• Originally posted by illini372 View Post
          Any info as to why some of us are still waiting on the "Met Requirements" status to update? Mine is still showing that pesky star instead of the green checkmark.
          Things move very slow during this process. This process can take up to a year so patience is key.

Comment

• for the PT test the push-up section......is it like CBP where they put a 4 in. block under your chest?

anyone take the FAM PT yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by dangerr101 View Post
              for the PT test the push-up section......is it like CBP where they put a 4 in. block under your chest?

No. it's different.

Comment

for the PT test the push-up section......is it like CBP where they put a 4 in. block under your chest?

Ill take it this Friday if I pass the initial interview!

Comment

• Originally posted by waitingtowait View Post

FAMS are 6c covered and that stops the clock.

After about 6 months of flying you will be on USA jobs looking for an 1811 spot to conduct investigations that you never will with FAMS. Many of the guys I know got addicted to the money and didn't want to or couldn't leave. Per diem (blood money) is great but, you will want to die from doing absolutely nothing, I mean nothing law enforcement related. If you came from a local LE the repetitiveness of doing nothing is really going to get to you. The linear environment/range training is good and the guys you are flying with for the most part are great. The supervisors for the most part suck and the agency is poorly run from the top down. Because FAMS do little but cover flights, you will be the target of micromanaging by management. Most of FAM management doesn't care about their employees and good luck if you ever want to transfer offices. The job is tough on family life. Ground based assignments, diverse jobs and promotional opportunities are hard to come by. You will fly and shoot, fly and shoot-repeat.

During your assessment, if you get a chance talk to some of the flying FAMS in the office they will tell you what's up. Chances are most will be in several processes for other agencies.

The job is 6c covered and pays well once you get to I band. Some love it, but most burn out quick. Keep your eyes open, lots of former FAMS are now 1811s. If you are going to switch up to 1811 don't stay with FAMS long. 1811 spots will hire you as a GS 9 step 10 max (much less than I band if you are in for 3 years), but the GS scale leads to a better retirement. Once you hit I band with FAMS look for only about a 1 to 2 percent raise per year. By comparison look at a GS 13.

Above is the honest opinion of one person. I'm not trying to put down my fellow brothers and sisters in blue. I am thankful FAMS do what they do and when I worked there I knew if put in the position to do so I could have made a difference. FAMS was a great FED career starter for me. FAMS are under appreciated by the service they work for and have the potential to diversify, but the agency hinders the hell out of that concept. Good luck! It's fun for a bit, but chances are you will eventually want more.
                  if its so bad to work for then why there are none to less open positions ?! I would love to apply right now but there are no open position whatsoever.
                  if someone could give me a lead i would really apreciate it.

Comment

• Is there a grooming policy when it comes to facial hair? I know it might seem like a dumb question but where I work now doesn't have one so that's why I'm asking

Comment

• Originally posted by Khamorski View Post
                      Is there a grooming policy when it comes to facial hair? I know it might seem like a dumb question but where I work now doesn't have one so that's why I'm asking
                      In the academy it generally follows the military standards. Neat and groomed, once you are in the field office, it just has to be presentable. Some guys have duck dynasty beards... stupid stuff like mohawks or dyed pink is a no go.

think how it will look if you ever have to walk into court. A long but groomed beard or goatee is ok, a handlebar moustache is fine, but purple hair with one side of your head shaved is not...

but for the academy, you will want to be clean shaven with a short hair cut. You can let your fabio locks grow out after you graduate...

Comment

• Ok thanks for the response I appreciate that.

Comment

• Originally posted by mazeman23 View Post

if its so bad to work for then why there are none to less open positions ?! I would love to apply right now but there are no open position whatsoever.
                          if someone could give me a lead i would really apreciate it.
                          I don't know if that can be answered on an open forum. Some lazy desk jockey at HQ monitoring this forum may cry their FAM self classification of Sensitive Security Information (SSI). More than one of my buddies have been called to the carpet for that "security violation".

Comment

• I got an email on December 29th saying I had passed the FAB and I went online to the Dashboard and selected a field office for my assessment but I haven't yet heard anything. Does this part of the process generally take awhile?

Comment

I took it and passed last year. In my experience, it is chest to floor as many times as possible in a certain amount of time. If chest doesn't touch floor then it doesn't count.

Comment

• Originally posted by rms0012 View Post

Ill take it this Friday if I pass the initial interview!
                                Just completed the Field Office Assesment today. Geez, be prepared to be there for several hours

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4161 users online. 195 members and 3966 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X