Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time posting, but I have a question to the prior FAMS that changed careers to other agencies. How hard is it switching to other federal agencies? Do the age restrictions still apply? And did you take the FAM position to get your foot in the door?

Comment

• Originally posted by Gotcha8402 View Post
      First time posting, but I have a question to the prior FAMS that changed careers to other agencies. How hard is it switching to other federal agencies? Do the age restrictions still apply? And did you take the FAM position to get your foot in the door?
      Its not easy switching. The 37 age requirement does not apply( on paper), you still have to sale yourself in the process and show how you provide value to the agency in which you are applying.

Comment

• I'm assuming the answer is no, but do FAMS get g-rides?

Comment

First time posting, but I have a question to the prior FAMS that changed careers to other agencies. How hard is it switching to other federal agencies? Do the age restrictions still apply? And did you take the FAM position to get your foot in the door?
          I couldn't find an 1811 gig when I wanted out so I joined a local police department for five years. I'm now an 1811. To be honest the local PD experience was much more beneficial and helped much more beginning as a new 1811. But being a FAM allowed me to get a much higher starting salary, 6 hours of leave and the FAM time counted towards retirement.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bliskin View Post
            I'm assuming the answer is no, but do FAMS get g-rides?
            No, you have access to them when needed on a GBA.

Comment

• Here's my timeline so far in the process:

Applied: 10/16
              Notified to take FAMS: 12/16
              FAMS: 01/16
              Field Assessment: ???

Last edited by darklink; 03-13-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

• Hi guys,
                We have the new year now and on many sites the last public opening for air marshalls was about 2 months ago. i would like to know if there are new openings coming up ?

Kind Regards
                Matt

Comment

• Is the panel interview and physical fitness (and other things) all the same day or separated? The verbiage is confusing.

Comment

• Originally posted by mxh View Post
                    Is the panel interview and physical fitness (and other things) all the same day or separated? The verbiage is confusing.
                    Same day. If you pass the panel, you do the PFT. If you pass that, then you may have an additional interview with the SAC. I was told to expect to be there all day.

Comment

• During the running portion of the PFT are you allowed to wear headphones?

Comment

• Originally posted by SSG View Post
                        During the running portion of the PFT are you allowed to wear headphones?
                        I wouldn't.

Comment

• Just arranged my interview and potential fitness test/ SAC interview with the Chicago FO for next week. Good luck to all!

Comment

FAMS are 6c covered and that stops the clock.

After about 6 months of flying you will be on USA jobs looking for an 1811 spot to conduct investigations that you never will with FAMS. Many of the guys I know got addicted to the money and didn't want to or couldn't leave. Per diem (blood money) is great but, you will want to die from doing absolutely nothing, I mean nothing law enforcement related. If you came from a local LE the repetitiveness of doing nothing is really going to get to you. The linear environment/range training is good and the guys you are flying with for the most part are great. The supervisors for the most part suck and the agency is poorly run from the top down. Because FAMS do little but cover flights, you will be the target of micromanaging by management. Most of FAM management doesn't care about their employees and good luck if you ever want to transfer offices. The job is tough on family life. Ground based assignments, diverse jobs and promotional opportunities are hard to come by. You will fly and shoot, fly and shoot-repeat.

During your assessment, if you get a chance talk to some of the flying FAMS in the office they will tell you what's up. Chances are most will be in several processes for other agencies.

The job is 6c covered and pays well once you get to I band. Some love it, but most burn out quick. Keep your eyes open, lots of former FAMS are now 1811s. If you are going to switch up to 1811 don't stay with FAMS long. 1811 spots will hire you as a GS 9 step 10 max (much less than I band if you are in for 3 years), but the GS scale leads to a better retirement. Once you hit I band with FAMS look for only about a 1 to 2 percent raise per year. By comparison look at a GS 13.

Above is the honest opinion of one person. I'm not trying to put down my fellow brothers and sisters in blue. I am thankful FAMS do what they do and when I worked there I knew if put in the position to do so I could have made a difference. FAMS was a great FED career starter for me. FAMS are under appreciated by the service they work for and have the potential to diversify, but the agency hinders the hell out of that concept. Good luck! It's fun for a bit, but chances are you will eventually want more.

Comment

• Originally posted by waitingtowait View Post

FAMS are 6c covered and that stops the clock.

After about 6 months of flying you will be on USA jobs looking for an 1811 spot to conduct investigations that you never will with FAMS. Many of the guys I know got addicted to the money and didn't want to or couldn't leave. Per diem (blood money) is great but, you will want to die from doing absolutely nothing, I mean nothing law enforcement related. If you came from a local LE the repetitiveness of doing nothing is really going to get to you. The linear environment/range training is good and the guys you are flying with for the most part are great. The supervisors for the most part suck and the agency is poorly run from the top down. Because FAMS do little but cover flights, you will be the target of micromanaging by management. Most of FAM management doesn't care about their employees and good luck if you ever want to transfer offices. The job is tough on family life. Ground based assignments, diverse jobs and promotional opportunities are hard to come by. You will fly and shoot, fly and shoot-repeat.

During your assessment, if you get a chance talk to some of the flying FAMS in the office they will tell you what's up. Chances are most will be in several processes for other agencies.

The job is 6c covered and pays well once you get to I band. Some love it, but most burn out quick. Keep your eyes open, lots of former FAMS are now 1811s. If you are going to switch up to 1811 don't stay with FAMS long. 1811 spots will hire you as a GS 9 step 10 max (much less than I band if you are in for 3 years), but the GS scale leads to a better retirement. Once you hit I band with FAMS look for only about a 1 to 2 percent raise per year. By comparison look at a GS 13.

Above is the honest opinion of one person. I'm not trying to put down my fellow brothers and sisters in blue. I am thankful FAMS do what they do and when I worked there I knew if put in the position to do so I could have made a difference. FAMS was a great FED career starter for me. FAMS are under appreciated by the service they work for and have the potential to diversify, but the agency hinders the hell out of that concept. Good luck! It's fun for a bit, but chances are you will eventually want more.
                              What Wait said. The management in my office wasn't terrible, but if you do you're job, show up on time and prepared for work, they won't even know your name. I left after 5 years and enjoyed my time there.

Comment

• Thanks for the incredibly formative posts from all. I'm a local LEO now, have several years in, and am going through several processes, including CBP and a few extremely large local agencies. It does seem at the end of the day the monotony gets to people with the FAMS. With that said, it is not my #1 choice among job prospects for the points the above posts.

What, other than pay, would you say is biggest upside to this job? I love traveling, and I know this is strictly business, but there has to be some ability to take advantage of all the places you'll go, right?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6994 users online. 351 members and 6643 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X