300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by donkeylips View Post

I got a call last week saying they were starting to interview my references. They said they'd contact me again to schedule my SAC interview this week but seeing how it's near a holiday, I'm not holding my breath. Same thing happened to a buddy of mine but he interviewed again with the SAC last week and took the PFT.
    If i'm reading this correctly, you were a former FAM who is going through the hiring process again?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bliskin View Post

If i'm reading this correctly, you were a former FAM who is going through the hiring process again?
      It's happens. FAMs leave going to 1811 and other jobs and then realize those jobs aren't for them, and try and get rehired. 1811 jobs are lot of work, evenings, weekends, late days, early days and all that without OT and weekend pay. After your FAM day no one is calling you for reasons that 1811s get evening/weekend calls. So guys go back.

As a FAM you just fly, show up on time, and try and stay awake. That's the job.
      Last edited by Esco; 12-30-2016, 02:52 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Esco View Post

It's happens. FAMs leave going to 1811 and other jobs and then realize those jobs aren't for them, and try and get rehired. 1811 jobs are lot of work, evenings, weekends, late days, early days and all that without OT and weekend pay. After your FAM day no one is calling you for reasons that 1811s get evening/weekend calls. So guys go back.

As a FAM you just fly, show up on time, and try and stay awake. That's the job.
        Esco,

I think that's one of the reasons why this job is better than most of the 1811's. I was reading the book by former FAM Clay Biles and he spoke of being called in on his off day for a special mission. How often does that happen? Not looking for a number of times but more like was that an anomaly or does it happen regularly? Only asking because you mentioned about "trying to stay awake" but I'd imagine it's tough to stay awake on a long flight if you weren't expecting to fly lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Lone-ranger View Post

Esco,

I think that's one of the reasons why this job is better than most of the 1811's. I was reading the book by former FAM Clay Biles and he spoke of being called in on his off day for a special mission. How often does that happen? Not looking for a number of times but more like was that an anomaly or does it happen regularly? Only asking because you mentioned about "trying to stay awake" but I'd imagine it's tough to stay awake on a long flight if you weren't expecting to fly lol
          He's an old school guy. The systems for everything are very much up to date now.

Comment

FAMs leave going to 1811 and other jobs and then realize those jobs aren't for them, and try and get rehired. 1811 jobs are lot of work, evenings, weekends, late days, early days and all that without OT and weekend pay. After your FAM day no one is calling you for reasons that 1811s get evening/weekend calls. So guys go back.
            OK I'm not saying the above never happens.....I'm sure it does, but I can think of very few 1811 jobs worth leaving to go BACK to the FAMS.......and yes I left for 1811. I was at FAMS for 4 years. I never saw anyone who left for 1811 come back. Again not saying it never happens, but I would think its rare from my experience.

USSS is about the only big agency 1811 job, off the top of my head, I can think of where you are constantly working nights and weekends, as well as traveling. They are also the only big agency 1811 job I know of that gets regular OT, so they are compensated.

Yes 1811 jobs are more work, but you are usually rewarded for your efforts with some sort of satisfaction at the end of a case. FAMS is just mundane. I have been gone for over 2 years now and can name maybe 2 times I worked on a weekend as a 1811. I am in a bigger 1811 agency in a decent sized city as well. Yeah, I may get a phone call on a weekend, but it's not to come out and arrest someone, it's usually coordination related for a case.

And yes, 1811s may not get the night diff and/or weekend diff but we get a higher base than FAMS at a GS13 and our top out is much higher at a 13-10.

I won't bore you with details but I-band base compared to GS13 step 1 base is about a 15k difference. Even with the Per Diem FAMS earn, it won't make up that difference and especially not once you start getting step increases on the 13.

Yeah as a 1811 I work the occasional night and/or morning. Maybe once a week, maybe more. As a FAM I worked a COMPLETELY UNPREDICTABLE schedule (different monthly) and was constantly going through 6 hour time changes WEEKLY. I'll take the occasional night til 8 or 9pm and every other work day 8 hrs or so. Do I even need to mention MUCH better possibilities for career advancement and/or transfer as a 1811? Good luck with those at FAMS.

Yes I'm sure some 1811s have it worse off than me, even in my own agency. However, I can't think of any circumstances in my current job that would make me want to go back to FAMS. To each their own I suppose. I never hated the job when I was there, wasn't disgruntled or anything, but it was time to go.
            Last edited by DaShwstoppahbk; 12-30-2016, 10:30 PM.

Comment

• DA ain't lying. I've seen a couple former 1811 FAMs venture back. I enjoy this side much better than being a Flyer, but being FAM wasn't terrible. Weekends and holidays off is worth it to me as well.

Comment

• I left FAMS 4 years ago for a 1811 gig and I never looked back. I do however miss the traveling to include trips oversees and the fact I was paid over $100k to see the world and not to think.. At the end of the day it came down to qualify of life and career progression. I've only seen a few 1811's go back to FAMS. One came back from NCIS and was stationed in Southern CA. His Wife wasn't feeling it so he came back. One other guy came back from HSI when he was told he wouldn't receive LEAP while waiting for a academy date siting in the office. Weekends and holidays off is what its all about,

Comment

• You guys have mentioned FAMS that have returned. So how exactly did they come back to the FAMS? Did they wait for an entry-level announcement and apply? Did they request reinstatement? Does the FAMS have a reinstatement program? When those guys came back, did they have to go through a hiring process and pass the written, PT, interview board, background invest, etc?

Comment

• Originally posted by hangman View Post
                    You guys have mentioned FAMS that have returned. So how exactly did they come back to the FAMS? Did they wait for an entry-level announcement and apply? Did they request reinstatement? Does the FAMS have a reinstatement program? When those guys came back, did they have to go through a hiring process and pass the written, PT, interview board, background invest, etc?
                    Back in the older days you could request a reinstatement thru the SAC of the city you worked in, who would then run it up the pole. Now you must apply to announcement like everyone else.

As you will learn about the Feds, every office/city is a phifedom run by that SAC/Manager, the things done in say LA, aren't done in say Detroit or DC. Not like city police where the rules on the east of side, are the same rules on the west side of the city.
                    Last edited by Esco; 12-31-2016, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Back in the older days you could request a reinstatement thru the SAC of the city you worked in, who would then run it up the pole. Now you must apply to announcement like everyone else.

As you will learn about the Feds, every office/city is a phifedom run by that SAC/Manager, the things done in say LA, aren't done in say Detroit or DC. Not like city police where the rules on the east of side, are the same rules on the west side of the city.
                      Would they have to go through the academy again as well?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bliskin View Post

Would they have to go through the academy again as well?
                        Most of the recent returnees didn't, they were gone less than 2-3 years. That's one of those case by case basis things though.

Comment

• Thanks to the former FAMS for the insight. My question is how many non-OIG 1811 agencies that don't work on weekends and holidays? Maybe Postal Inspectors?

Only asking because it is literally impossible to get an OIG criminal investigator position without being a vet or entering through a pathways (new graduate) program. Of course current 1811's get hired but that's implied.

Comment

• How critical are they for the PT portion of the process? I know there's no "score to pass", but I'm just curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lone-ranger View Post
                              Thanks to the former FAMS for the insight. My question is how many non-OIG 1811 agencies that don't work on weekends and holidays? Maybe Postal Inspectors?

Only asking because it is literally impossible to get an OIG criminal investigator position without being a vet or entering through a pathways (new graduate) program. Of course current 1811's get hired but that's implied.
                              EVERY non-OIG 1811 job will have weekends and holidays off on a NORMAL basis. That is not to say you never will work weekends or holidays. It just isn't the norm. The exception to this is maybe USSS. But I know for a fact I am in a non-OIG big agency and I get weekends and holidays off, as do my counterparts in other big agencies. I can count on my hand the times I have worked a weekend in the last 2 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by DaShwstoppahbk View Post

EVERY non-OIG 1811 job will have weekends and holidays off on a NORMAL basis. That is not to say you never will work weekends or holidays. It just isn't the norm. The exception to this is maybe USSS. But I know for a fact I am in a non-OIG big agency and I get weekends and holidays off, as do my counterparts in other big agencies. I can count on my hand the times I have worked a weekend in the last 2 years.
                                Wow, that's refreshing to hear. TV will have you thinking those guys work all the time. They always give the "crime doesn't stop on weekends" speech lol. Thanks for the insight

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12661 users online. 502 members and 12159 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X