Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I've been reading through the thread, thank you to everyone for all the helpful information. I have a few questions.

1. The post is advertising for Newark and Queens. What is the FAMS residency policy? Does the FAM have to live directly in that location or within a certain distance? I'm sure it would be advantageous to live not too far from the airports the FAM would be flying from.

2. Are the majority of flights that the FAM are assigned to scheduled ahead of time? I know FAMS are on call 24/7, how often is a FAM called out and how far out in advance of the flight is the FAM usually notified? (hours or days)

3. How does the schedule for a FAM work? What tasks is he responsible for when he is not on a flight?

Thank you all for your time, and answering our questions!

Comment

• Originally posted by jb306 View Post
      I've been reading through the thread, thank you to everyone for all the helpful information. I have a few questions.

1. The post is advertising for Newark and Queens. What is the FAMS residency policy? Does the FAM have to live directly in that location or within a certain distance? I'm sure it would be advantageous to live not too far from the airports the FAM would be flying from.

2. Are the majority of flights that the FAM are assigned to scheduled ahead of time? I know FAMS are on call 24/7, how often is a FAM called out and how far out in advance of the flight is the FAM usually notified? (hours or days)

3. How does the schedule for a FAM work? What tasks is he responsible for when he is not on a flight?

Thank you all for your time, and answering our questions!
      I'm not, nor have I ever been, a FAM, but my guess is that the answers to most of your questions are sensitive and not disclosable. I hope you are wrong, in that I'd like to know the answers as well, but, from a national security standpoint, I can definitely see how they (FAMS) would not want that information to be part of the public domain.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
        I'm not, nor have I ever been, a FAM, but my guess is that the answers to most of your questions are sensitive and not disclosable. I hope you are wrong, in that I'd like to know the answers as well, but, from a national security standpoint, I can definitely see how they (FAMS) would not want that information to be part of the public domain.
        Yes, that is very true. That did not cross my mind, hopefully we could get some general insights into the FAMS lifestyle.

Comment

• Just applied.

Saw the hiring women comment and I'm wondering if it hurt or helped that I left out that demographic on my application.

Oh well, just another application in the federal shredder inbox! Good luck guys.

Comment

• Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            It's really hard to answer yes or no...
            I'm betting it was the "...Bro" comment that nailed him. Shows lack of maturity, lack of control.
            Nailed who?
            OUT!!

Comment

Yes, that is very true. That did not cross my mind, hopefully we could get some general insights into the FAMS lifestyle.
              In the past, FAMS were very mission oriented with little to no concern for personal and social life. I remember I saw something in the news a few years back about how the FAMS where trying to change the whole culture of the organization to meet somewhere in the middle. I don't know how close they have come to achieving this goal, but that was the aim at least. To do this, FAMS upper management wanted to hire more FAMs in order to take the burden off of current FAMs who feel they are in the sky too much. Now with budget cuts and no significant aircraft terrorist attack to be the catalyst, the FAMs hiring initiatives have been sort of stagnant.

As far as the life of a FAM, I can't be certain but I hear that under the current administration, it's a pretty lousy job for those with families because of the travel and schedule instability. However, they let you know about these things before you even fill out the application. I can at least give them that. They don't sugarcoat anything.
              Last edited by Radio Raheem; 01-06-2016, 02:13 PM.
              OUT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Radio Raheem View Post
                As far as the life of a FAM, I can't be certain but I hear that under the current administration, it's a pretty lousy job for those with families because of the travel and schedule instability. However, they let you know about these things before you even fill out the application. I can at least give them that. They don't sugarcoat anything.
                Thank you! I'm a single 26 year old LEO, so starting a family is not my immediate future, and am used to rotating road schedules.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
                  Not to completely hijack the thread, but I would guess (though I've not found any research on this topic) that people with higher functioning logical abilities tend to fail the poly more than others. That is, because of the restriction of answers to "yes" or "no," people with the ability to think deeply about the questions will draw connections that could cause problems for them. For instance, a person with average, or lower than average, logical ability, when asked if they've ever paid for sex, will simply say no if they've never paid a prostitute.

A person with higher level thinking, though, may think too deeply about the question, and remember that one time when, while in college, he had a hot girl in his class that he wanted to score with, so he asked her to dinner with the sole purpose of trying to get her in bed. They went to dinner, he paid for everything, and then they want back to her place and had sex. This person with higher logical abilities may think that they have to answer "yes" to the question about paying for sex, because, in reality, he did, in fact, pay for sex. With the whole goal of having sex, he spent money on a girl. He would not have spent money on the girl but for the prospect of having sex. All this goes through his head, and he realizes he needs to answer "no" because the question is aimed at determining if he has illegally paid for sex. However, when he says "no," his body readings may be saying "yes" because he is thinking about that one-night stand he had in college. This conflict is why the poly sucks.

Stated another, much more succinct way, people that are smart enough to differentiate between the actual question asked and the goal of the actual question asked may have issues, because they may try to provide an answer to the actual question asked, or they may try to provide an answer in-line with the goal of the question asked... but either way, they have two opposing answers bouncing through their brain when they provide a single answer.
                  See! Further proof that they want us to be mindless automatons! Wait a minute...I passed!! Now I must obey...

Whoever is thinking that hard about that question is thinking way too much into it lol.
                  OUT!!

Comment

• Applied. Now we wait.

Comment

• I heard from a FAM that they don't allow those in the NYC field office to transfer out to other field offices. Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by ifaynshteyn View Post
                        Applied. Now we wait.
                        Good luck.
                        OUT!!

Comment

• I don't understand how guys are applying, accepting, then once they're on board complaining about flying too much. I guess the title Federal Air Marshal doesn't ring a bell!?!?!? With this job the expectation shouldn't be to sit a patrol car for 12 hours.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

• I talked to a Co worker of mines who used to be FAMS and said the training n money is good but your social n family life will be sh**. He told me to apply but expect for the worst. He said like others said on here its a single man paradise. Because you will get burnt out and won't last for about 2 to 3 years.

Comment

You will be given a distance limit based on the airport you are assigned too....

Originally posted by jb306 View Post
                              You will know your schedule well in advance.... like months out. Rest is OPSEC....

3. How does the schedule for a FAM work?
                              OPSEC.....

What tasks is he responsible for when he is not on a flight?
                              As in off-duty.....? Or are you talking before flight..?

Off-duty..... On your own just like any other gig...

Before flight.....You do have stuff to do....and its all OPSEC......

Comment

• Originally posted by harrig104 View Post
                                I heard from a FAM that they don't allow those in the NYC field office to transfer out to other field offices. Any thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                IF you get hired...you won't be leaving the NYC area......unless you take a Supervisors position.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8499 users online. 413 members and 8086 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X