300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ignignokt373 View Post
    You will think that until you start doing back to back internationals and start missing out on family events, hearing your kid talk for the first time or seeing it walk for the first time. Then there is the getting sick and can't get over it because you can't give your body time to recover. Then you start getting fat because you only have time to eat crappy airport food and don't have time to work out because your flight landed at 0001 and you have to be back up for a 0400 show time. Sleep for a few hours or go work out then sleep for even less. Not a hard choice to make if you want to stay awake during all your flights the next day.

There is a reason they are always hiring.

You obviously don't work for the FAMS because 99% of what you said is false. This is also the first time we are hiring in six years, so "they are always hiring" is just another one of your false statements.

Good luck to everyone in the process, this is the greatest job I have ever had. Enjoy your time here and don't let the naysayers get to you.

Comment

• Originally posted by aNewFam View Post
      You obviously don't work for the FAMS because 99% of what you said is false. This is also the first time we are hiring in six years, so "they are always hiring" is just another one of your false statements.

Good luck to everyone in the process, this is the greatest job I have ever had. Enjoy your time here and don't let the naysayers get to you.
      I flew from 2002 thru 2006 and others know me on here. Unlike you.

Comment

Very interesting posting past.

Comment

• Any updates? Hows New Mexico?

Comment

I was a FAM from May 2002 until recently when I left for an 1811 gig. Everything he said is on the money, except for the "always hiring part"... The fams were on a freeze from 2010 until last month. You must still be new and havent hit the wall...

I have always said its a great job for a young single guy for about 3 or 4 years. Then its gets old. I was lucky enough to get a lot of GBA's, training, VIPR, JTTF and an acting slot. When I was flying my sleep patterns were so destroyed when I was down for the GBA's it would take a full month to get back to a normal 8 hour sleep cycle. The job takes its toll, physically and mentally. You will miss lots of family events and many important moments in the lives of your friends. I cant even begin to tell you haw many times I had planned to be somewhere and a canceled flight or a mechanical delay or a crew out of time event happened and stranded me overseas or even just a short distance away. The MOC doesnt care about your plans and there was many times I was stood down at 2pm with 3 more departing flights that could have got me home the day before an RDO.

I gave over a decade of my life to flying, I have been there, done that, got the book, wearing the shirt. I know the job, what it was, what it became and what it is today. You cant make a career out of it. If you want to sell your soul and try to get promoted? Good luck, there are a ton of other backstabbers that are senior to you that are just as willing to throw you under the bus. If you want to use it to get you foot in the Federal door, fly for a few years and see the world, then transfer to another agency, start applying to other jobs the day you get back from ACY.

Its a good start for a young guy for a couple years, but I watched it destroy many of my coworkers lives, many theough no fault of their own.
            Don't plan to stay more than a few years, start looking elsewhere as soon as you can.

Comment

• Originally posted by NYresQ View Post
              Everything he said is on the money, except for the "always hiring part"... The fams were on a freeze from 2010 until last month..
              My bad. I guess I should have explained myself better so Mr. 10 posts doesn't cry.

What I meant was when they hire, they usually hire a ton of people due to losses. There is a reason for that.

Originally posted by NYresQ View Post
              I cant even begin to tell you haw many times I had planned to be somewhere and a canceled flight or a mechanical delay or a crew out of time event happened and stranded me overseas or even just a short distance away.
              More than I care to even think about but I was single so no big deal to me. Other guys flying with me? Huge deal at times.

there was many times I was stood down at 2pm with 3 more departing flights that could have got me home the day before an RDO.
              Or trying to get back to your home base due to a death/illness in the family and taking and extra day because no one gives a rat's *** about it other than you and your family members. And there were plenty of flights to make it back in a timely manner.

Don't plan to stay more than a few years, start looking elsewhere as soon as you can.
              I know people still flying that were in the first couple of class after 9/11.

Comment

• Scheduled for poly! Loved the options for someone living on the west coast. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by ignignokt373 View Post

I know people still flying that were in the first couple of class after 9/11.
                  I had just under 14 years in the FAMS when I left. I was #28 in senority in NY. The ones ahead of me are counting the days till they leave, several are out on medicals just waiting for paperwork to clear, others are stuck because they never got a degree, or are too old to go anywhere else. There are very few who are there still flying (not in angba) that long by choice...

Comment

• Originally posted by NYresQ View Post
                    The ones ahead of me are counting the days till they leave.
                    CLE guys were loving life til "the move." Nice city, low cost of living, and you could live out in BEF and still be within the allowed range.

They are in CHI now and not loving life like they did but happy to be there instead of LA or NYC (or DC for that matter).

Comment

• Docsmiles what announcement were you?

Comment

• Originally posted by Jefferywd1981 View Post
                        Docsmiles what announcement were you?
                        2nd

Comment

• Actually I was right by stating that "you obviously don't work for the FAMS." You proved that by saying you left in 2006, which means you don't work here.

I was also correct by refuting your " they are always hiring" statement. This is the first time we have hired in six years.

Like I said before to everyone, please do not let the negativity and naysayers bring you down. Good luck and stay safe, I might be back to post again in 2018. I'm outta here!!

Comment

• Relax man he's just informing us of the conditions while employed as a FAM. It is up to the individual to decide whether or not they want to be part of it.

Comment

• Thanks for the insight man.

Comment

Last edited by BP3; 07-28-2016, 09:48 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11707 users online. 416 members and 11291 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X