300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by harrig104 View Post
    Anyone know if you can be in National Guard while employed by FAMS?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes you can. I was when I was a FAM.. You just give your boss your schedule in advance..

Comment

• Originally posted by UCLA1998 View Post
      Yes you can. I was when I was a FAM.. You just give your boss your schedule in advance..
      Good to hear. Recently commissioned and would hate to screw up job opportunities because of it. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
        I failed the polygraph for US Secret Service, while I was a BOP Correctional Officer. So basically USSS thought I was not trustworthy enough to be a federal LEO but I already was one. To make matter worse, I was hired by Border Patrol a few months later, and after 4 years there became a Deportation Officer with ICE.

The ability of the poly to determine if I was unfit obviously was a resounding failure.

Well if you are coming from another federal job, you may start at the high end. Plus they do get 25% LEAP. Oh and they get some form of FLSA on top of LEAP too. So it is quite possible that you could start closer to six figures, but that isn't necessarily enough to be living well in NYC metro.
        In regards to the poly, all it proves is that you get nervous when hooked up to a bunch of technology for 3-4 hours answering the same question. I passed my poly for Secret Service, but the guy kept saying that I was on the line of truth and inconclusive. He made it clear that if there was a line I would be on the truth side, but I wasn't far enough in the truth field for him. I was telling the truth throughout the whole examination. My response was, "I'm telling the truth so I don't know what else to tell you, bro." I probably shouldn't have called him bro but i was frustrated with the mind games. What difference did it make if I was on the "line"? If I was on the truth side of it, then that means I was telling the truth. If that could happen on the poly, them I say no to it. The Border Patrol weeded out people without the poly for years. Even with the poly, there are agencies that currently have corrupt and morally questionable people employed with them. The poly doesn't tell the future or accurately predict intentions. It seems that it is just there to make you sweat and squirm...a scare tactic. Truthfully, I don't see any real science to it. The courts don't either, so why is the government using it in the hiring process?
        OUT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Radio Raheem View Post
          In regards to the poly, all it proves is that you get nervous when hooked up to a bunch of technology for 3-4 hours answering the same question. I passed my poly for Secret Service, but the guy kept saying that I was on the line of truth and inconclusive. He made it clear that if there was a line I would be on the truth side, but I wasn't far enough in the truth field for him. I was telling the truth throughout the whole examination. My response was, "I'm telling the truth so I don't know what else to tell you, bro." I probably shouldn't have called him bro but i was frustrated with the mind games. What difference did it make if I was on the "line"? If I was on the truth side of it, then that means I was telling the truth. If that could happen on the poly, them I say no to it. The Border Patrol weeded out people without the poly for years. Even with the poly, there are agencies that currently have corrupt and morally questionable people employed with them. The poly doesn't tell the future or accurately predict intentions. It seems that it is just there to make you sweat and squirm...a scare tactic. Truthfully, I don't see any real science to it. The courts don't either, so why is the government using it in the hiring process?
          AWESOME! I wish I could have been there to hear that. I'm totally using that line if I ever have to do another poly.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
            AWESOME! I wish I could have been there to hear that. I'm totally using that line if I ever have to do another poly.
            It just frustrates me that agencies swear by this witchcraft science and a number of good applicants fall short because of physical reaction that may or may not be associated with deception. I often wonder how the Secret Service agent that caused the whole Colombian prostitute scandal passed the poly. He not only lied to his wife. He lied to the other three women he had in three different states. He also lied to the prostitute when decided not to pay her. He was an all around liar and a good ole fashioned scumbag, yet he still passed the hiring process. The way I see it. It's either in the cards for you to be hired or it isn't. I'm done fretting and consuming myself with the details of the hiring process. I'm going to go enjoy life and play with the kids!
            OUT!!

Comment

It just frustrates me that agencies swear by this witchcraft science and a number of good applicants fall short because of physical reaction that may or may not be associated with deception. I often wonder how the Secret Service agent that caused the whole Colombian prostitute scandal passed the poly. He not only lied to his wife. He lied to the other three women he had in three different states. He also lied to the prostitute when decided not to pay her. He was an all around liar and a good ole fashioned scumbag, yet he still passed the hiring process. The way I see it. It's either in the cards for you to be hired or it isn't. I'm done fretting and consuming myself with the details of the hiring process. I'm going to go enjoy life and play with the kids!
              It's a tool to get rid of applicants..

Comment

That is a terrible use of the poly.
                What is Perseverance?
                -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by caseyp View Post
                  Rest assured that vacancy announcements that only have a single position open are almost always written and tailored for someone specific that they already have in mind.
                  Originally posted by hexen220 View Post
                  meh there only looking for 1 guy, i stay away from those
                  I can vouch that this isn't true. I applied for a vacancy with the FedGovt for a USAjobs gig with one position as per the announcement, just for ****s and giggles because I always thought the same thing; they have their guy picked out.

Very desirable place to work, good entry level (GS9), etc.

A few board interviews, **** test, and writing assessments later, I was offered the job. Accepted and then declined shortly after, stayed with BP.

But just some experience to share, that the 1 vacancy-already-picked-myth isn't necessarily true.

Furthermore, when I was lamenting my guilt of accepting then declining, the supervisor told me 'not to worry' because they ended up making four hiring offers off the vacancy (that again said one position available), so they had 3 others coming in.

Originally posted by Usmc1586 View Post
                  I received this email today

Dear xxxxxxx,

The Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS) is now hiring and looking for veterans specifically.
                  Guess I'll continue to feel the frustration of currently being in the Reserves, but not getting vet points or status

Originally posted by FrankNY1985 View Post
                  Nice do you know if you can apply for both listings?
                  Yes, always can if they have a fed employee and US citizen announcement

Originally posted by harrig104 View Post
                  Anyone know if Government-wide includes contractors?

No, contractors are never considered Govt employees.

That's my post so far for the first three pages, five more to go!
                  UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                  "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by caseyp View Post
                    Rest assured even if they officially came out tomorrow and said 99% of the applicants we hire will be women (they would never say this of course)there would still be thousands upon thousands of applicants. Most of them are probably not even qualified for various reasons but that won't stop them from applying. Some agencies put a limit like the vacancy announcement will close after the first 500 applicants, this will not be the case here.
                    Agreed. These sort of jobs will always have a huge ratio of applicants to spots ratio. Absurdly high ratio.

Originally posted by jb2257
                    I'll answer your question. Are you qualified? NO. Not because of a lack of prior experience, but because your first instinct was obviously to ask someone else to do something for you, something that you could have done yourself. Then when you didn't get what you wanted, you threw a hissy fit. In the time it took to type out that response, I found numerous sources that answer your question. Stop whining and solve your own problem instead of expecting someone else to do it for you.

Listed on the first page of results from several search engines:

https://www.avianation.com/aviation_...id=11074633997
                    While I won't say I do or don't agree with this response, lol @ it because it is true to an extent.

Originally posted by BradHP View Post
                    Prior to appointment, an applicant must not have reached his or her 37th birthday unless the applicant can provide proof of current or previous service in a Federal civilian law enforcement retirement- covered position (after subtracting the year/months of prior Federal service worked in a primary law enforcement position, you must be less than 37 years of age).

I've seen some other jobs where the age restriction doesn't apply if you are veterans preference eligible. I don't see anything about that here, so I guess I can't even apply. When the hell did I get old? This sucks.
                    That 'age - years of service' is for any federal job that has a mandatory retirement of 37. This holds true whether or not it lists it in the announcement, as it is apart of the 'laws' or policy by which OPM governs (not sure if it is actual law in some bill somewhere or just policy, but I am guessing law since that rule is outlined in 5 USC 8336(c)). So the only way around would be if an agency secures an exception to federal hiring laws. An example would be Border Patrol's recent female-only hiring announcement. It is against federal law to hire or not hire based on gender, race etc, but in that case BP secured an exception from OPM because BP is desperate for female agents.

Originally posted by hexen220 View Post
                    on the announcement it says you need to have experience that will demonstrate the ability to: "analyze problems, gather pertinent data, and recognize solutions; plan and organize work; and communicate effectively orally and in writing." Is that what there looking for?? I feel like i`m missing something because that seems open ended.............i live like 20 minutes from newark
                    Quickest lesson one learns in the FedG is that it is all about how you write it up. Any career job will pretty much meet these requirements, if you write it up right. I entered federal service as a 5 (could have been a 7) with a normal job.

Originally posted by LAW33313 View Post
                    My question is when the one opens for all U.S. Citizens will they offer more locations besides Queens & Newark?

Unlikely. That would send the fed applicants into a fit of rage, and cause them all to apply on that announcement. The one that will be open in tandem should have the same locations, though later hiring announcements may have different locations (though a FAM in here said that is not likely).

Originally posted by harrig104 View Post
                    Anyone know if you can be in National Guard while employed by FAMS?

Yes, a fed job can't deny you military service. Though I wish they could, then I could get out of the reserves early.

Originally posted by Radio Raheem View Post
                    Still do. 60% of applicants are lost in our poly. I had a classmate, straight shooter, take the poly. Failed it due to the question 'have you ever committed or supported terrorist acts?' He failed on that question, they invited him back in a few weeks, and passed it. Shows how much of a pseudo science it is when the same question gets different results weeks later, on a question that he obviously isnt guilty of.

Applied. Not sure I would take it if I got it, but #YOLOSWAG
                    UNITED STATES BORDER PATROL
                    "90 years of tradition unhindered by progress!"

honor first

Comment

• Originally posted by battlewagon View Post
                      I can vouch that this isn't true. I applied for a vacancy with the FedGovt for a USAjobs gig with one position as per the announcement, just for ****s and giggles because I always thought the same thing; they have their guy picked out.

Very desirable place to work, good entry level (GS9), etc.

A few board interviews, **** test, and writing assessments later, I was offered the job. Accepted and then declined shortly after, stayed with BP.

But just some experience to share, that the 1 vacancy-already-picked-myth isn't necessarily true.

Furthermore, when I was lamenting my guilt of accepting then declining, the supervisor told me 'not to worry' because they ended up making four hiring offers off the vacancy (that again said one position available), so they had 3 others coming in.

Guess I'll continue to feel the frustration of currently being in the Reserves, but not getting vet points or status

Yes, always can if they have a fed employee and US citizen announcement

No, contractors are never considered Govt employees.

That's my post so far for the first three pages, five more to go!
                      Battle, I think your case is more the exception than the rule. I certainly could be wrong perhaps.

Comment

I know. That's the point I am making.
                        OUT!!

Comment

• Originally posted by jb2257
                          The answer is, he didn't pass a poly after that had taken place. He was administered a poly during processing and passed. That was likely the last poly he took.
                          But I that the poly was supposed to weed out applicants that could be scum bags...you know...like the minority report. lol

65842875.jpg
                          OUT!!

Comment

Not to completely hijack the thread, but I would guess (though I've not found any research on this topic) that people with higher functioning logical abilities tend to fail the poly more than others. That is, because of the restriction of answers to "yes" or "no," people with the ability to think deeply about the questions will draw connections that could cause problems for them. For instance, a person with average, or lower than average, logical ability, when asked if they've ever paid for sex, will simply say no if they've never paid a prostitute.

A person with higher level thinking, though, may think too deeply about the question, and remember that one time when, while in college, he had a hot girl in his class that he wanted to score with, so he asked her to dinner with the sole purpose of trying to get her in bed. They went to dinner, he paid for everything, and then they want back to her place and had sex. This person with higher logical abilities may think that they have to answer "yes" to the question about paying for sex, because, in reality, he did, in fact, pay for sex. With the whole goal of having sex, he spent money on a girl. He would not have spent money on the girl but for the prospect of having sex. All this goes through his head, and he realizes he needs to answer "no" because the question is aimed at determining if he has illegally paid for sex. However, when he says "no," his body readings may be saying "yes" because he is thinking about that one-night stand he had in college. This conflict is why the poly sucks.

Stated another, much more succinct way, people that are smart enough to differentiate between the actual question asked and the goal of the actual question asked may have issues, because they may try to provide an answer to the actual question asked, or they may try to provide an answer in-line with the goal of the question asked... but either way, they have two opposing answers bouncing through their brain when they provide a single answer.
                            Last edited by 3.14 Beans; 01-06-2016, 11:30 AM.

Comment

• It's really hard to answer yes or no...
                              I'm betting it was the "...Bro" comment that nailed him. Shows lack of maturity, lack of control.
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

• I just attended the job fair and the waiver they mention is ONLY if you have federal LE experience and if you reach your 37th birthday anytime during the process you are automatically disqualified. That was straight from the recruiter.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8683 users online. 420 members and 8263 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X