300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by firefighter-emt View Post
    Amtrak is a private company with government funding. You will not see it sold off anytime soon. Talking with the veteran guys, Amtrak has always been in the cross-hairs of congress, and it has been around since the 1970's.

Anyone who likes history would be able to tell you why Amtrak was formed in the first place, and that was because all of the private companies were going bankrupt. There is no reason to believe that it wouldn't happen again if you privatized the railroad since operating costs have gone up. Case in point, look up Indians' recent issues with attempting to privatize their Amtrak line. They finally did after 3 years, to an extent, Amtrak still operates the trains and lines, the equipment is just owned by a private company.

Long story short, you will not see Amtrak going away any time soon since no matter what Congressman Mica says, anyone in the train business will tell you that passenger train service isn't going to be profitable while keeping it affordable.
    Excellent points; however, I counter with that we live in a completely different era and politics has never been this polarizing and people have never been this divided especially when it come to the deficit, government subsidies, and "handouts" (their words not mine). Fiscally speaking it's losing more money now than ever before. While I agree I don't think it's going away any time soon one can't simply close there eyes, plug their ears and act like there is not serious funding issues there. My bet is Amtrak lobbyists have to fight and beg for every single penny like it's their last.

I work with a former Amtrak officer and one of the very few criticisms he had during his time there was the lack of any career development training opportunities simply because the constant tight budget pretty much stopped any additional
    training / certification approvals officers sought. Now this is obviously just one guys opinion, but it is something to consider in terms of this being the right agency to foster and develops one's career.

Comment

It's more of a division thing in getting training. Some divisions cry the blues and bosses just don't want to lose people.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
        It's more of a division thing in getting training. Some divisions cry the blues and bosses just don't want to lose people.
        So why can't they all come together as one and we'll people gonna leave regardless so the bosses have to get over that. Is Amtrak not one department. ..

Comment

Does anyone if your a Government employee already if you can buy your time back ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Excellent points; however, I counter with that we live in a completely different era and politics has never been this polarizing and people have never been this divided especially when it come to the deficit, government subsidies, and "handouts" (their words not mine). Fiscally speaking it's losing more money now than ever before. While I agree I don't think it's going away any time soon one can't simply close there eyes, plug their ears and act like there is not serious funding issues there. My bet is Amtrak lobbyists have to fight and beg for every single penny like it's their last.

I work with a former Amtrak officer and one of the very few criticisms he had during his time there was the lack of any career development training opportunities simply because the constant tight budget pretty much stopped any additional
            training / certification approvals officers sought. Now this is obviously just one guys opinion, but it is something to consider in terms of this being the right agency to foster and develops one's career.
            2016 will be an interesting year to watch and see how Amtrak does. In the past, the profitable Northeast Corridor routes were used to pay the losses of the long distance routes. In 2015, Congress passed an act that effective in 2016, all of the profits that the Northeast Corridor makes has to stay on the corridor and cannot be used to fund the long distance routes. So it will be interesting to see what happens.

Congress seems a little backwards too when it comes to funding. I can't believe that there are many other advanced countries in the world that when there is a major train accident, they cut the funding to the company while making them implement costly safety improvements.

People cry about Amtrak getting funding and that they can't get faster trains, but what they don't see is that Amtrak gets far less funding then roads and air travel and that if they had the proper funding, they would be able to make the improvements.

In regards to training, as Orlando said, it is based on the different divisions. For the most part, as long as you can justify the training, they will not have a problem sending you to it.

Comment

There are 5 different divisions in Amtrak. Mid-Atlantic North (Wilmington, Philadelphia, Lancaster, Harrisburg, and Pittsburgh), Mid-Atlantic South (Baltimore, Washington, and South all the way to Florida), New York (Self Explanatory), New England (All stations north of New York), and Central and Western (Everything off the Corridor).

The Chief of Police is in Charge of the entire department. The divisions are then broken down right below her into Deputy Chiefs. Each division has its own Deputy Chief, and then the following positions. Under them you have Inspectors, then Captains, Sergeants, Detectives, and then Patrol Officers and Investigators. Training is approved initially by your Sergeant and then ultimately by your Captain. Each division has its own budget so that is why you end up with some divisions having no problem sending you to every training you ask for and others you might. It all depends on the budget and you captains approval.

Amtrak also conducts a wide variety of training throughout the year that also helps with your carrier advancement.

Comment

How long after an announcement closes do people typically get an invite to test.. considering I've applied several times an never heard anything I have no clue...

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jcastro1457 View Post
                  How long after an announcement closes do people typically get an invite to test.. considering I've applied several times an never heard anything I have no clue...

Thanks
                  Its not gonna be next week I can tell you that now. It took a while before I heard something test date then interview.

Comment

Originally posted by Jcastro1457 View Post

Thanks
                    Same here, but this past July I did receive an email to complete the Culture Fit Assessment basically and personal review assessment. And after ever time I apply I receive that email, but once I log in . I am notified that I don't need redo the assessment.
                    Have you received the Culture Fit Assessment?

Comment

• Probably won't hear nothing til the spring/summer.

Comment

• Test date is on 1/29 in Harrisburg

Comment

• Originally posted by Jcastro1457 View Post
                          Test date is on 1/29 in Harrisburg
                          That was quick I wonder when is the test date for DC?

Comment

• I haven't heard anything from them yet. I hope I get to at least take the exam.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mbrown1212 View Post
                              I haven't heard anything from them yet. I hope I get to at least take the exam.
                              I know what you mean just have to be patient.

Comment

• Washington DC

Application Period is Closed.
                                Last edited by firefighter-emt; 05-07-2016, 03:41 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10272 users online. 503 members and 9769 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X