Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
    Yes but you can only process for one division
    Hey Orlando what if I applied to Baltimore 1st then DC 2nd will they give me an option.

Comment

Just as an FYI, when Orlando says that you can only process for one division at a time, both Philadelphia and Harrisburg are in the same division. But I would recommend applying for both. You may not be picked up by one announcement and may be by the other.

The reasoning behind them doing an announcement for Harrisburg is because in the past they included Lancaster and Harrisburg in the Philadelphia hiring announcement so they would hire people who lived near Philadelphia and then send them to Harrisburg. After they did their time in Harrisburg, they would then transfer back to Philly and once again Harrisburg and Lancaster would be short staffed.

I can tell you that when I was hired, I was told where the opening was that I would be filling and asked if I would accept the job. Didn't get a choice off the bat of where I wanted to go.
      Last edited by firefighter-emt; 12-23-2015, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter-emt View Post
        Just as an FYI, when Orlando says that you can only process for one division at a time, both Philadelphia and Harrisburg are in the same division. But I would recommend applying for both. You may not be picked up by once announcement and may be by the other.

The reasoning behind them doing an announcement for Harrisburg is because in the past they included Lancaster and Harrisburg in the Philadelphia hiring announcement so they would hire people who lived near Philadelphia and then send them to Harrisburg. After they did their time in Harrisburg, they would then transfer back to Philly and once again Harrisburg and Lancaster would be short staffed.

I can tell you that when I was hired, I was told where I would be station and asked if I would accept the job. Didn't get a choice off the bat of where I wanted to go.
        Thanks for clarification. I'm open to travel wherever. Definitely good know how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Mbrown1212 View Post
          Thanks for clarification. I'm open to travel wherever. Definitely good know how it works.
          Did you have law enforcement experience prior to getting on with Amtrak?

Comment

Originally posted by Mbrown1212 View Post
            Did you have law enforcement experience prior to getting on with Amtrak?
            I did, but the group of guys that I was hired with was mixed experience, no experience but had the academy, and a couple of guys who they sent to the academy.

You can PM me with any other questions you have.
            Last edited by firefighter-emt; 12-23-2015, 08:42 PM.

Comment

I was at Penn Station in Baltimore last night picking up someone, had I taken the job with amtrak that's where I would have been, it seemed very laid back. If only amtrak had come though with the money...... Oh well

Comment

Originally posted by fedcop64 View Post
                I was at Penn Station in Baltimore last night picking up someone, had I taken the job with amtrak that's where I would have been, it seemed very laid back. If only amtrak had come though with the money...... Oh well
                That's the only thing is the money but at this point I will take DC or Baltimore.. I make the money up in overtime.

Comment

Just as an FYI, when Orlando says that you can only process for one division at a time, both Philadelphia and Harrisburg are in the same division. But I would recommend applying for both.
                  That changed. HR wouldn't let you apply to both Philly/Harrisburg jobs even though they're the same division. Same held truthfully for New Haven, Providence and Boston.
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Orlando how often do officers get assigned to joint task forces.

Comment

Originally posted by DCFED View Post
                      Orlando how often do officers get assigned to joint task forces.
                      Officers. Not very often. Investigators, it depends.
                      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                        Officers. Not very often. Investigators, it depends.
                        Oh ok..

How many officers Amtrak would need to be fully staffed.

Comment

CNN posted an incredibly interesting article about Amtrak, how much money it bleeds (or absorbs from tax payers depending on how you look at it), possible privatization by Congress and other interesting tidbits. I think it's a good piece of information to file away and think about as one moves through the process and deciding if it's the right career move.

Many people forget or just simply don't pay attention to an agency's sustainability and longevity in tough economic times, and depending on the next election plenty of agency's 1811's and uniform divisions could be severely downsized due to funding cuts (EPA, Dept of Ed, Amtrak even though its a subsidy and not necessarily an agency, etc etc etc).

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/23/politi...ing/index.html

Comment

Originally posted by caseyp View Post
                            CNN posted an incredibly interesting article about Amtrak, how much money it bleeds (or absorbs from tax payers depending on how you look at it), possible privatization by Congress and other interesting tidbits. I think it's a good piece of information to file away and think about as one moves through the process and deciding if it's the right career move.

Many people forget or just simply don't pay attention to an agency's sustainability and longevity in tough economic times, and depending on the next election plenty of agency's 1811's and uniform divisions could be severely downsized due to funding cuts (EPA, Dept of Ed, Amtrak even though its a subsidy and not necessarily an agency, etc etc etc).

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/23/politi...ing/index.html
                            Would Amtrak be good if it went Private or stay under Government control?

Comment

Amtrak is a private company with government funding. You will not see it sold off anytime soon. Talking with the veteran guys, Amtrak has always been in the cross-hairs of congress, and it has been around since the 1970's.

Anyone who likes history would be able to tell you why Amtrak was formed in the first place, and that was because all of the private companies were going bankrupt. There is no reason to believe that it wouldn't happen again if you privatized the railroad since operating costs have gone up. Case in point, look up Indians' recent issues with attempting to privatize their Amtrak line. They finally did after 3 years, to an extent, Amtrak still operates the trains and lines, the equipment is just owned by a private company.

Long story short, you will not see Amtrak going away any time soon since no matter what Congressman Mica says, anyone in the train business will tell you that passenger train service isn't going to be profitable while keeping it affordable.
                              Last edited by firefighter-emt; 12-28-2015, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Amtrak is a private company with government funding. You will not see it sold off anytime soon. Talking with the veteran guys, Amtrak has always been in the cross-hairs of congress, and it has been around since the 1970's.

Anyone who likes history would be able to tell you why Amtrak was formed in the first place, and that was because all of the private companies were going bankrupt. There is no reason to believe that it wouldn't happen again if you privatized the railroad since operating costs have gone up. Case in point, look up Indians' recent issues with attempting to privatize their Amtrak line. They finally did after 3 years, to an extent, Amtrak still operates the trains and lines, the equipment is just owned by a private company.

Long story short, you will not see Amtrak going away any time soon since no matter what Congressman Mica says, anyone in the train business will tell you that passenger train service isn't going to be profitable while keeping it affordable.
                                Sounds good and I hope it never happens to Amtrak.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4748 users online. 205 members and 4543 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X