Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To say that because rail workers contribute to their retirement they are somehow immune from a decrease in retirement benefits should the subsidies (part or all) cease is absurd. Nothing is guaranteed, and sh** is always subject to change. Unless this is your first day in the government you know this.

Comment

Railroad retirement is on the same basis as social security. As a railroad employee, you pay into railroad retirement instead of paying into social security. The employer also pays into the retirement at a specific rate for each employee. It is not full proof as you have mentioned, but in all honesty, it has been said that railroad retirement is one of the most fiscally sound systems in the US Government because of the way it was created and how it is funded. Whether or not your employer has subsidies cut, that will not effect railroad retirement because they are mandated to place a certain amount in no matter what funding you get. So it isn't so much a pension as it is your social security payment once you retire.

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter-emt View Post
        Railroad retirement is on the same basis as social security.
        Not gonna lie, that doesn't inspire confidence...

But best of luck to those applying! I personally have something of an unreasonable soft spot and good memories of Amtrak.
        Originally posted by Michigan
        Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

For any confusion, railroad retirement and social security are two completely different entities. The only thing they have in common is the tier I withdrawals from your pay check are the same percentage as social security. Then you also have an additional tier II withdrawal that is less than the amount for social security.

So it is not run by social security, it is just the railroad equivalent of it.

You can find a lot of information on the web about it.

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter-emt View Post
            For any confusion, railroad retirement and social security are two completely different entities. The only thing they have in common is the tier I withdrawals from your pay check are the same percentage as social security. Then you also have an additional tier II withdrawal that is less than the amount for social security.

So it is not run by social security, it is just the railroad equivalent of it.

You can find a lot of information on the web about it.
            Thanks for in the information because I was wondering about their retirement.

Comment

I noticed it was closed yesterday. Good thing I applied when this thread was created. Any ideas when we will hear back?

You guys said it's as slow as a turtle in molasse haha. So nothing till next year?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
              Last edited by FrankNY1985; 11-05-2015, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Yeah Just checked it and cant find it. Oh well. Good luck!

Comment

Im sure they got 1000s of Application as to everyone is trying to get into Law Enforcement now.

Comment

Which sucks because I was in CI school with ton of mid life crisis guys. Guys whom you knew were gonna wash out of the game within 2 or 3 years. I say it sucks because they essentially took that spot away from a guy who might have given it 20+ years. I always look at 35 year old lawyers who wake up one day and want to play cop differently.

Comment

I wish they had more detectives working on applicants background to speed the process up further. I know Amtrak Police is a good agency.

Comment

Sucks I missed out on this.

If you apply for an out of state location, can you go through the process if there's a local field office in your home state?
                        CBP Officer

08/31/14-Tested
                        02/28/14-TSL Received
                        03/18/14-PFT1/MED
                        07/01/14-VBT/SI
                        07/19/14-EQUIP Submitted
                        07/22/14-Credit Report Pulled

Comment

Originally posted by cur679 View Post
                          Sucks I missed out on this.

If you apply for an out of state location, can you go through the process if there's a local field office in your home state?
                          Yes and no. Interviews and BI's will be done out of whatever division you go through. Medical, drug screening and psych could be done in a local division depending upon scheduling.
                          I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

What stations have Amtrak Police? Only major city?

Comment

Originally posted by TheSlammer View Post
                              What stations have Amtrak Police? Only major city?
                              Mainly larger Amtrak stations have police however Amtrak police operate in 46 of the 50 states.
                              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Alright so it seems like this would be a good dept to work for, but looks hard to get in. "Over 500 sworn officers at over 30 locations". That is a very low average. Maybe I'm missing something.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4676 users online. 176 members and 4500 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X