300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amtrak Police

For anyone who is interested, Amtrak is hiring police officers for the following locations:

Boston
    Chicago
    New York
    Washington DC

Anyone interested can go here to apply: https://jobs.amtrak.com/search/?q=po...ocationsearch=

No prior police experience required.

Just expect Amtrak HR to be slower than a turtle in molasses.
    I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Anyone know anything about working for this department? Pay, retirement, morale, equipment, schedule, how many they are looking to hire, academy info, etc? Always heard it was a great job, but don't know anyone who works for them.

Comment

Originally posted by jimlv View Post
        Thanks for the heads up. Anyone know anything about working for this department? Pay, retirement, morale, equipment, schedule, how many they are looking to hire, academy info, etc? Always heard it was a great job, but don't know anyone who works for them.
        I can tell you what I know from researching them and speaking to their officers. If you are processing for NY, I believe you attend fletc down in Georgia for training. I believe they start around 42k and receive a railroad retirement. Think it's 30 years/age 65. They don't hire many and you may never receive correspondence from them. They are as the above poster stated, very slow in processing. As far as morale, I have no clue. I apologize if I got any info wrong. I don't work for them but at one time I was trying to.

Comment

Thank you for the heads up!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice PT test, I think my dead grandmother could pass it...
            Originally posted by Michigan
            Now that you mention it, who are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Madcap_Magician View Post
              Nice PT test, I think my dead grandmother could pass it...
              You really not gonna be running after bad guys here so there is no need for an extreme PT test.

Comment

I work with a former Amtrak guy who was also former Metro PD in DC. They are very fond of hiring former Metropolitan PD guys

Comment

Anyone seen their pay scale?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Comment

Some basic info about Amtrak:

Starting Salary (Depending on Location and Experience) 45-65 roughly. It currently takes 26 years to max out as a patrol officer around 78-95 a year, once again depending on your reporting location.

Retirement: 30 years of service and 60 years of age. This is a railroad retirement requirement. If you can make it that long, it is one of the best retirement plans that you could have. Also, if you get tired of working for Amtrak and get hired by say Norfolk Southern or CSX, your time goes with you so its not like you would have to start all over again if you transfer to another department.

Normal benefits. Vacation and sick time are calculated based on years of service.

Current schedule, except in New York, is 8 hours shifts with set days off. I believe New York works 10 hour shifts.

As most people will tell you, you can make this job what you want it. You could sit back, come in do your 8 meet a few trains walk around a station, talk to some people, clock out and go home. But there are also things that you can get involved in if you want to. There are always arrests to be made.

Moral is fairly good in most stations. Management usually leaves you to do what you want as long as you are following procedure.

If you are in New York, I believe you are sent to FLETC if you don't have a currently police certification in either New York or your state of Residence. Washington DC applicants will be sent to FLETC.

Some other basic info in case people are wondering. With your State Railroad Police Commission, this allows you to enforce laws in the 46 states that Amtrak runs in, while in pursuit of railroad business and as set forth by the guidelines of each state. This also means that if you get tired of being in Washington, you can transfer to any of the other field offices upon completed two years service at your first reporting location.
                    Last edited by firefighter-emt; 11-02-2015, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by firefighter-emt View Post
                      Some basic info about Amtrak:

Starting Salary (Depending on Location and Experience) 45-65 roughly. It currently takes 26 years to max out as a patrol officer around 78-95 a year, once again depending on your reporting location.

Retirement: 30 years of service and 60 years of age. This is a railroad retirement requirement. If you can make it that long, it is one of the best retirement plans that you could have. Also, if you get tired of working for Amtrak and get hired by say Norfolk Southern or CSX, your time goes with you so its not like you would have to start all over again if you transfer to another department.

Normal benefits. Vacation and sick time are calculated based on years of service.

Current schedule, except in New York, is 8 hours shifts with set days off. I believe New York works 10 hour shifts.

As most people will tell you, you can make this job what you want it. You could sit back, come in do your 8 meet a few trains walk around a station, talk to some people, clock out and go home. But there are also things that you can get involved in if you want to. There are always arrests to be made.

Moral is fairly good in most stations. Management usually leaves you to do what you want as long as you are following procedure.

If you are in New York, I believe you are sent to FLETC if you don't have a currently police certification in either New York or your state of Residence. Washington DC applicants will be sent to FLETC.

Some other basic info in case people are wondering. With your State Railroad Police Commission, this allows you to enforce laws in the 46 states that Amtrak runs in, while in pursuit of railroad business and as set forth by the guidelines of each state. This also means that if you get tired of being in Washington, you can transfer to any of the other field offices upon completed two years service at your first reporting location.
                      Firefighter, thanks for your insight. I do have a question for you and if you could answer it honestly as you can that would be helpful. Given that Amtrak is government subsidized and is currently (and has been) hemorrhaging money for quite some time, what is the likelihood that the very generous 30 year retirement they offer to all rail workers will be around by the time applicants are ready to retire? In this day and age where the first thing to go is pensions, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that this very generous pension goes away like so many others before it. Bills cutting the Amtrak budget have passed the house in the past year with bipartisan support. Should this be a real concern for applicants who may be attracted to the position because of the retirement?

Comment

Railroad retirement (which is a misnomer) isn't going anywhere. Railroad employees contribute to it.

Don't expect Amtrak to start processing applicants till at least January.
                        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by caseyp View Post
                          Firefighter, thanks for your insight. I do have a question for you and if you could answer it honestly as you can that would be helpful. Given that Amtrak is government subsidized and is currently (and has been) hemorrhaging money for quite some time, what is the likelihood that the very generous 30 year retirement they offer to all rail workers will be around by the time applicants are ready to retire? In this day and age where the first thing to go is pensions, I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that this very generous pension goes away like so many others before it. Bills cutting the Amtrak budget have passed the house in the past year with bipartisan support. Should this be a real concern for applicants who may be attracted to the position because of the retirement?
                          That's a very good question?

Comment

Originally posted by orlandofed5-0 View Post
                            Railroad retirement (which is a misnomer) isn't going anywhere. Railroad employees contribute to it.

Don't expect Amtrak to start processing applicants till at least January.
                            As long as they are processing thats all that matters?

Comment

Is anyone else having issues applying?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11734 users online. 444 members and 11290 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X