300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shotgun method?

I'm interested in seeing how many different agencies/positions you all are applying for. I'm sure most have a desirable agency/position, maybe even a few. As I've heard time and time again, "Do what you can to get your foot in the door." Is everyone else taking that approach? Or are you strictly applying for one or two somewhat/highly desirable positions.

Personally, I'm using the shotgun method, but not quite spray and pray I'm primarily looking/applying at gigs that are probably just out of reach, but I'm hopeful and believe that any one of them might work out.

So, here's what my list kind of looks like, and in no particular order:

CBP Officer
    BOP Correctional Officer
    DON Police Officer (multiple locations/postings)
    Border Patrol Agent
    Secret Service Uniformed Division
    US Park Police
    Entry Level IT related positions(multiple locations/postings)
    Recent Grads (also mostly IT related and multiple locations/postings)

I'm also not really limiting myself geographically. These are just from postings available on USAJobs. I'll be contacting DEA soon to inquire about student employment opportunities, even though I graduate in December.
    Last edited by calebggodwin; 10-15-2015, 09:33 PM.
    CBPO 15-5 BPA 16-1
    09/13/15 App (Laredo)
    09/23 Exam
    10/09 Rfrd GS-7
    10/18 Score - 98
    10/26 eQip Email
    10/27 Med/PFT1 Email
    10/29 SI/VBT Sched 11/23
    11/04 Med/PFT1
    11/04 eQip Sent
    11/10 "" Accptd
    11/23 VBT/SI
    11/24 ""(Pass)
    12/03 Rcvd Med/Fit Email (Pass, Follow-Up)
    09/18/15 App (S. TX)
    10/28 Exam (ALT)
    11/15 ReApp (AZ)
    11/18 Score (100)
    11/20 TSL GS-5
    12/16 Sched Med/PFT1
    02/04/16 OHB/Poly

I have 3 active applications for 1811 positions:

IRS-CI
    Secret Service
    ICE-HSI

I am definitely not applying to everything that comes along. Ultimately, it has to be an agency for which I will enjoy working, and with a mission I understand. I would be thrilled to be hired by any of the above three agencies.

To stay with your firearm metaphor, I am taking multiple shots, but only at selected targets.
    Last edited by T-Man Hopeful; 10-12-2015, 01:39 PM.

Comment

That's awesome, best of luck to you. I definitely don't intend to apply for a job that I wouldn't enjoy at least some, but I am looking to get started with the feds so I am leaving my options open. You bring up a good point about agency missions. That's something I want to familiarize myself with a bit better.
      CBPO 15-5 BPA 16-1
      09/13/15 App (Laredo)
      09/23 Exam
      10/09 Rfrd GS-7
      10/18 Score - 98
      10/26 eQip Email
      10/27 Med/PFT1 Email
      10/29 SI/VBT Sched 11/23
      11/04 Med/PFT1
      11/04 eQip Sent
      11/10 "" Accptd
      11/23 VBT/SI
      11/24 ""(Pass)
      09/18/15 App (S. TX)
      10/28 Exam (ALT)
      11/15 ReApp (AZ)
      11/18 Score (100)
      11/20 TSL GS-5
      12/16 Sched Med/PFT1
      02/04/16 OHB/Poly

Comment

Originally posted by calebggodwin View Post
        I'm interested in seeing how many different agencies/positions you all are applying for. I'm sure most have a desirable agency/position, maybe even a few. As I've heard time and time again, "Do what you can to get your foot in the door." Is everyone else taking that approach? Or are you strictly applying for one or two somewhat/highly desirable positions.

Personally, I'm using the shotgun method, but not quite spray and pray I'm primarily looking/applying at gigs that are probably just out of reach, but I'm hopeful and believe that any one of them might work out.

So, here's what my list kind of looks like, and in no particular order:

CBP Officer
        BOP Correctional Officer
        DON Police Officer (multiple locations/postings)
        CBP Agent
        Secret Service Uniformed Division
        US Park Police
        Entry Level IT related positions(multiple locations/postings)
        Recent Grads (also mostly IT related and multiple locations/postings)

I'm also not really limiting myself geographically. These are just from postings available on USAJobs. I'll be contacting DEA soon to inquire about student employment opportunities, even though I graduate in December.
        Apply for anything and everything that fits your career and lifestyle goals. I have held 5 LE positions, three of which were with federal LE. Some might consider me to be good at getting hired, but the truth is that I have failed 10X as much as I have succeeded. There are literally dozens of jobs that I did not make the cut. The thing is that I used the shotgun method and literally applied everywhere.

BTW, there is no such thing as a CBP Agent.

I am guessing you applied for the Border Patrol Agent (BPA) position?
        Last edited by TheKansan; 10-15-2015, 06:04 PM.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Yeah, BP Agent. Thanks for pointing that out. And thanks for sharing your experience. It definitely helps me to understand that anyone can be denied, but to keep trying nonetheless.
          CBPO 15-5 BPA 16-1
          09/13/15 App (Laredo)
          09/23 Exam
          10/09 Rfrd GS-7
          10/18 Score - 98
          10/26 eQip Email
          10/27 Med/PFT1 Email
          10/29 SI/VBT Sched 11/23
          11/04 Med/PFT1
          11/04 eQip Sent
          11/10 "" Accptd
          11/23 VBT/SI
          11/24 ""(Pass)
          09/18/15 App (S. TX)
          10/28 Exam (ALT)
          11/15 ReApp (AZ)
          11/18 Score (100)
          11/20 TSL GS-5
          12/16 Sched Med/PFT1
          02/04/16 OHB/Poly

Comment

Take your time on the applications and apply to them all you think you would enjoy. The Kansas is exactly right.

Comment

Don't restrict yourself necessarily, but I don't know if the shotgun approach is the smartest, especially for the long run.

Do your research first. Don't put in for an agency if you know nothing about it's mission, or are properly motivated to be an effective agent.

Example: you have no accounting experience or interest, and suck at math. Would the IRS be a good fit? Think about it.

I say this because I've seen people who don't know jacksh*it about what an agency does put in and then wallah- the dice roll seven and they get picked up. And despite being motivated by the wrong reasons at the onset, often they flourish, not because they are any good, but because they posture and puff out their chest in an attempt to conceal their inadequacies. Ironically, such over-compensating can be a very effective means for getting promoted, and now you have someone who is grossly unfit to manage in a position of leadership. The damage they cause is entirely predictable, but because of institutional weaknesses, often these types keep moving up. Hence the internal dysfunction and frustration for those who exist downstream.

The exception is if the goal is to get status and then move to a preferred agency as soon as possible. Then shotgun away.
              One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

If I just read this post correctly, Applying for a job ya don't really want, or even know anything about is the best way to get hired, be promoted and be in a position where subordinate employees can do your job? hahahaha!!

Originally posted by Ratatatat View Post
                Don't restrict yourself necessarily, but I don't know if the shotgun approach is the smartest, especially for the long run.

Do your research first. Don't put in for an agency if you know nothing about it's mission, or are properly motivated to be an effective agent.

Example: you have no accounting experience or interest, and suck at math. Would the IRS be a good fit? Think about it.

I say this because I've seen people who don't know jacksh*it about what an agency does put in and then wallah- the dice roll seven and they get picked up. And despite being motivated by the wrong reasons at the onset, often they flourish, not because they are any good, but because they posture and puff out their chest in an attempt to conceal their inadequacies. Ironically, such over-compensating can be a very effective means for getting promoted, and now you have someone who is grossly unfit to manage in a position of leadership. The damage they cause is entirely predictable, but because of institutional weaknesses, often these types keep moving up. Hence the internal dysfunction and frustration for those who exist downstream.

The exception is if the goal is to get status and then move to a preferred agency as soon as possible. Then shotgun away.

Comment

Originally posted by PHSeaBee View Post
                  If I just read this post correctly, Applying for a job ya don't really want, or even know anything about is the best way to get hired, be promoted and be in a position where subordinate employees can do your job? hahahaha!!
                  It sounds counter-intuitive, but I can attest it's as true as the day is long. Maybe not universally true, but mark my words, I have seen it happen first hand.

Some other hard-learned truths:

-Someone will always be the 'whipping boy', whether it's deserved or not. It's how the herd is kept in line.

-No one will look out for your interests, especially if you challenge the power structure.

-Above all else, and despite the facts, management first looks out for management.

-They will stab first (figuratively speaking). If they find mush, they will stab deeper. If they hit steel, they will stop.

-Just like an on-duty assault, it can happen very quickly and unexpectedly.

-When you do strike back (figuratively speaking), give it everything you have. Yes, bridges will get burned. That's how it goes.

-Always have a Plan B, in case the shrapnel (again, figuratively speaking) leaves wounds too deep to heal.

-Plan B may be the best thing that ever happens to you.

Today's words of wisdom may be free but they still came with a price.
                  Last edited by Ratatatat; 10-20-2015, 09:20 PM.
                  One day, lad, this will all be yours.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8006 users online. 382 members and 7624 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X