300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the chances?

I'm 21, with less than a year left in the Air Force. My home state is Georgia and I'd really like to be apart of GSP. I have a clean history and am pretty physically fit.

What are my chances of getting selected even though I do not have a college education?

You've got a great shot. Don't sleep on Atlanta PD either. You'll get hired quicker than GSP and gain a lot of experience. Don't stay at APD your whole career though. Go federal, but goto college while working at APD or GSP. Good luck.

Comment

I can't give any advice on your question but will add a +1 on going to college. You'll have the benefit of starting a little later (older) I wish I'd waited to start when I was 21 rather than 18. You'll get more out of school but you'll still get to enjoy the incredible experience that is college life.

Earning that degree will also open up a great many doors that would otherwise have been closed to you - not to mention the personal satisfaction of having it as well as all of the knowledge and critical thinking experience that you'll glean from it.

Comment

Originally posted by MK1776 View Post
        I'm 21, with less than a year left in the Air Force. My home state is Georgia and I'd really like to be apart of GSP. I have a clean history and am pretty physically fit.

What are my chances of getting selected even though I do not have a college education?
        The better question is : WHY do you want GSP? Unless you have some burning desire to work traffic accidents and write citations....there are many other agencies that will allow you to "be all you can be". I don't mean this as an insult to any troopers, I have worked with many of Gods Special Police, but they are very limited in their scope.
        USMS Region 3
        Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
        Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
        Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
        BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
        Medical:2/15/10
        MedicalReview: 4/15/10
        FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
        Drug: 6/5/10
        Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
        Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
        Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
        Written: 12/27/10
        NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
        To:
        Medical:

Comment

Originally posted by Esco View Post
          You've got a great shot. Don't sleep on Atlanta PD either. You'll get hired quicker than GSP and gain a lot of experience. Don't stay at APD your whole career though. Go federal, but goto college while working at APD or GSP. Good luck.
          I would partly agree, but would not push the "go federal" mantra. Police work lies with the ground troops, as combat lies with the grunts.
          USMS Region 3
          Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
          Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
          Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
          BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
          Medical:2/15/10
          MedicalReview: 4/15/10
          FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
          Drug: 6/5/10
          Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
          Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
          Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
          Written: 12/27/10
          NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
          To:
          Medical:

Comment

Well I don't really mind traffic work that much. I've done a few ride alongs ( I know this doesn't really count) and I seem to like how proactive you can be when out on the road. Plus traffic can lead to some pretty cool finds. I've been looking into Atlanta PD or Camden County Sheriffs Office as well. I'm not really big on living in the city, even though there might be a great deal of experience to be had there.

Plus, I'd like to think State Patrol gets rotated around the state from time to time. To me it's kind of like a nice change of scenery, go somewhere different and adjust to a new area while still being able to climb up the ranks vs starting all over in a new agency.

Do you guys think I should stay in the military for another enlistment and try to knock out a degree? I don't really want to shoot myself in the foot by not being marketable enough you know? I keep hearing how I should get a degree even though the agencies I'm looking at don't require one. My leadership pretty much tells me I won't be that marketable without one. Personally, I'd rather not go back to school for four straight years without earning a decent income to save for retirement.

What would you guys do if you were in my shoes?
            Last edited by MK1776; 09-21-2015, 07:54 PM.

Comment

You sound really young, so here is what I would do. Do your twenty in the military, get your retirement pay, and if you still have the police itch by then, join a PD for another 20 years and get a second retirement. That way, you get to live two dreams at the price of one.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7028 users online. 236 members and 6792 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X