Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSI 1811 (August/September 2015 Announcement)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No worries. I went over the study guide for it and it shouldn't be all that difficult. Here's a link in case you haven't seen it yet. The math portion will likely be the hardest section.

http://www.ice.gov/doclib/careers/pdf/satestprep.pdf

Comment

• Bahaaaaa I would have to concur!!! It has been awhile for this math
      Originally posted by Fuganopolis View Post
      No worries. I went over the study guide for it and it shouldn't be all that difficult. Here's a link in case you haven't seen it yet. The math portion will likely be the hardest section.

Comment

• Originally posted by TXICE View Post
        ICE hires individuals from every walk of life. With or without law enforcement experience. A degree isn't even mandated for the HSI 1811 gig. I was offered HSI three separate times with only a high school diploma. I do have 13 years of big city PD investigative experience, so maybe that helped. The bottom line is don't get bogged down in who is the more desired applicant. If you can get your foot in the door of the application process and make it through the application hurdles, you will get an offer. Good luck everyone.
        That is encouraging, but I am skeptical that HSI will truly be hiring people from all walks of life. 13+ years of investigative experience is no small thing, and you shouldn't try to down play it.

The fact is that this position is far more competitive than it was back in the FCIP days and prior. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but someone with the bare minimum qualifications should not get their hopes up of even making it to the test. Believe me, I should know as I did not score high enough to test for the DHS only announcement in spite of having a Bachelors degree and having worked as a Border Patrol Agent, Federal Correctional Officer, and Deputy Sheriff.

The only thing that I can say is that it is very likely on an open public announcement that many extremely highly qualified people applied, and many of them likely will receive veterans preference on top of that. So I would not get my hopes up. Continue applying for other positions and working hard at your current job. Basically have the "Go on with your life like you never applied" attitude. If you are one of the lucky few who continue in the process, still don't change anything until you get that final offer.
        What is Perseverance?
        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by Fuganopolis View Post
          No worries. I went over the study guide for it and it shouldn't be all that difficult. Here's a link in case you haven't seen it yet. The math portion will likely be the hardest section.

Back in the day, one of my first jobs (well, side job, really) was writing exam questions for high-stakes exams (like the ones we all have to take for these jobs). It always amuses me when you see something that tells you to ignore patterns in your answers (like five "d's" in a row). Testmakers purposely arrange questions such that the patterns become unnerving. I once was part of a group of people that compiled questions for the math section of a college entrance exam, and we ended up having 9 answers in a row that were all the same letter. I have to imagine that most everyone that took that exam and saw they had 9 "a's" in a row went back and changed them.

Comment

• I could've gone a lifetime without knowing how much of a d!ck test makers actually are.

Smurfed from my iSmurf using Smurf

Comment

I could've gone a lifetime without knowing how much of a d!ck test makers actually are.

The "Gamemakers" have nothing on high-stakes testmakers.

Comment

• What makes certain tests high-stakes?

Comment

What makes certain tests high-stakes?

I don't know that there is a specific definition. "High-stakes" is usually used to refer to tests that have important outcomes, like Bar exams, CPA exams, SAT/ACT, 1811 testing, etc.

Comment

• Pregnancy tests??

Comment

• Field sobriety tests?

Comment

No worries. I went over the study guide for it and it shouldn't be all that difficult. Here's a link in case you haven't seen it yet. The math portion will likely be the hardest section

Math??? I'm out boys
                        Last edited by 00BCK; 09-09-2015, 07:40 AM. Reason: .

Comment

• ...kidding

Comment

• Does anyone know how many applicants there were for this last announcement?

Comment

• Originally posted by RDJ062283 View Post
                              Does anyone know how many applicants there were for this last announcement?
                              Based on the number of applicants for the last public announcement I am guessing 12,000-15,000. Good luck to all who applied, rumor is that HSI is looking to hire 125+ next fiscal year.
                              What is Perseverance?
                              -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                              -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                              -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKansan View Post
                                That is encouraging, but I am skeptical that HSI will truly be hiring people from all walks of life. 13+ years of investigative experience is no small thing, and you shouldn't try to down play it.

The fact is that this position is far more competitive than it was back in the FCIP days and prior. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but someone with the bare minimum qualifications should not get their hopes up of even making it to the test. Believe me, I should know as I did not score high enough to test for the DHS only announcement in spite of having a Bachelors degree and having worked as a Border Patrol Agent, Federal Correctional Officer, and Deputy Sheriff.

The only thing that I can say is that it is very likely on an open public announcement that many extremely highly qualified people applied, and many of them likely will receive veterans preference on top of that. So I would not get my hopes up. Continue applying for other positions and working hard at your current job. Basically have the "Go on with your life like you never applied" attitude. If you are one of the lucky few who continue in the process, still don't change anything until you get that final offer.
                                Sounds like you need help writing your resume

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4743 users online. 204 members and 4539 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X