Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSI 1811 (August/September 2015 Announcement)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree with each side in this to a point. To me the issue with the ATF SA is a reason I would be hesitant to go there. I have questions regarding that entire situation that I would want answered before I would consider it. This forum is not the time nor place for those questions so I'm going to change the topic.

--As I edited this, 3.14 and others responded.... oops, they are quick with the keyboard.--
    Last edited by hpy1; 09-01-2015, 09:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by hpy1 View Post
      I've spoke to quite a few federal agents who live there. They all tell me the same thing. Great place to visit, crappy place to live. Look up crime rates. My understanding is there are two distinct communities. The locals and the outsiders. If your family hasn't lived there for generations, you are an outsider and will be treated as such by the locals.

I've only visited I've never lived there so I can't say for sure. I can tell you the people I know that have lived the life of a fed there all said they wouldn't wish it on anyone. Mainly for the same reason, it is a small community, that you can't escape. Most had some sort of horror story about the place as well. Of course, you can hear the same stories from SWB agents.

Then there is this issues that caused a lot of issues in fed law enforcement: http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/13/justic...2008-shooting/

*Sorry I posted that before I noticed you guys already spoke about it. Personally, this is kind of the nail in the coffin. If he was found in-scope I'm not sure why or how this case was able to continue for years in the USVI court system. 3.14 any ideas?
      If he was found in-scope, there is no way it stays in USVI. Which is why the prosecutor kept saying he wasn't in-scope and the charges were related to his actions as a citizen, not a government agent. Essentially, he said the USVI never gave ATF the right to enforce local laws, and what the SA did was attempt to enforce USVI domestic violence laws by intervening in a domestic dispute; hence, not acting in-scope.

Comment

Yeah I couldn't possibly begin to explain why they went after him. Zealousness perhaps? Maybe they wanted to make an example of him? I was stationed Hawaii for a few years and from what I've read and heard, it's pretty similar to how things are in St. Thomas/Croix. There are bad parts to avoid and less bad parts to visit sparingly. After I left Hawaii I swore I would never live there again. Not because of the crime, or the high cost of living. Not even the almost 6,000 miles of distance to my nearest family. I can't exactly out it into words but there's something about living on an island that Is not my cup of tea.

Smurfed from my iSmurf using Smurf

Comment

Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
          If he was found in-scope, there is no way it stays in USVI. Which is why the prosecutor kept saying he wasn't in-scope and the charges were related to his actions as a citizen, not a government agent. Essentially, he said the USVI never gave ATF the right to enforce local laws, and what the SA did was attempt to enforce USVI domestic violence laws by intervening in a domestic dispute; hence, not acting in-scope.
          Interesting, thanks for the reply. I was in the process of editing, changing that post in order to stay out of the fray y'all are having regarding it BUT you sir are quick with keyboard. I don't understand the legal processes enough to get how a prosecutor at the local or state level gets to tell feds or argue that the SA wan't 'in-scope' if the feds have determined he is, but is a discussion for another time and place.

Comment

How about them (insert favorite team here)?

Really, though, any inside intel regarding how many positions are looking to be hired out of this vacancy? I've seen a few different, disparate numbers thrown out.

Comment

Pi, aka 3.14, and I had a little back and forth a while back about this topic. He advised me I came off a bitter, so please don't hate on me for posting this and please don't think I'm here to to just whine and moan (I kind of was whining and moaning back when Pi was saying I was bitter.) I'm simply putting this out there for the folks that don't know this or haven't heard of this. Same as my earlier post about the USSS. All I'm saying is do you homework, have a series of serious conversations with your spouse/significant other before accepting a position with HSI. I'm not bitter or upset. I'm just trying to lay it all out there so you have an idea of what some of the issues are.

HSI is a different agency if you are on the border or if you are at an interior/northern border office. The agency claims border agents are important; however, consistently, takes actions that are inconsistent with that statement.

SWB Agents generally speaking are not permitted to go on any sort of detail. Often they aren't selected for post academy training either. Many SWB agents beg to go on details and are told no. In lieu interior/north border office agents are volun-told to go, or just get to go while the SWB guy plug away at work. Until recently the agency was allowing non-SWB agents to seeming move after 3 years at an office while telling SWB agents they were too important to be permitted to transfer. SWB agents make up 35% (if I recall properly) of the workforce and approximately 60%-70% (my guess-I have no facts to back that up) of the production statistics. Meaning, you get worked harder than the rest of the country while receiving the same paycheck and being told maybe we can let you move next year, again, and again.

The real question is how does this affect a career especially if someone wants to move up the ladder. It is a hard question though because agents on the border learn and do so much work in short time they quickly learn the ropes. So does the work experience equal what you learn or get to do on details or in training? Or even more importantly, the connections you make with over offices as we all the know the age old adage, it isn't what who know but who you know.

I will say, the agency claims, to be moving in a better direction to try and help transfer agents off the border. I will also say in the last 12 months I've heard of and seen more border agents get to on TDYs than any other time in my career. Time will tell if it they are giving lip service (about moving agents off the border) or if they are really going to follow through.

Also, think about the remoteness of where you are going to live. Does your spouse speak Spanish? Do your kids speak Spanish? If you are not Hispanic, how do you think you will adjust to being a minority? to a new culture? Do your family members have health issues that can be handled in the town in which you are taking the position. Can you afford to fly to see your family for the holidays? Will your family visit you where you are stationed? (Never mind if you want them to visit or not.) Are you okay, with your kids going to school with the kids of the people you arrest? Are you okay with the quality of the school your kids will attend? Are you okay with driving an hour or two or three to the mall? To the hospital? To Walmart, etc?

NYC, LA, and SFO agents have to deal with some of the same issues as the SWB agents. They aren't being permitted to move at the 3 year mark. They have to deal with a super high cost of living vs. the remoteness of the SWB. Plus the traffic they deal with to get to work etc. The good news is, you're not in a remote location and you get things that some SWB agents consider a luxury. Which is better or worse depends on what you want/need where you live.

I'm not claiming the border is worse than the cities or vice versa. I truly just want anyone and everyone taking this job to really take a moment and think about what a move to those locations will mean for them and their family.

I hope that helps any and all of you considering taking this position.
              Last edited by hpy1; 09-02-2015, 07:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Myst View Post
                I'm sure even if you pick whatever location, and you get the job, they'll just put you anywhere they need you to be.
                I'm willing to work anywhere so hopefully they don't disqualify based on I didn't pick the right locations they wanted.
                Picked New York and SAC San Antonio when they mentioned having a better chance picking a southwest location.
                Same boat here. Picked NYC and SAC San Diego. I'll obviously take any location given, assuming I get through the process. Call me crazy but I would love to leave San Francisco behind for a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by Fuganopolis View Post
                  "A Virgin Islands jury has found a veteran Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives special agent not guilty of using excessive force..."

The very first sentence of the article backs up Pi's statement. Yes, he was cleared by the agency. Yes, the locals still charged him. But, the JURY acquitted him of any wrongdoing. The AG can huff and puff all he wants but the jury makes the call, not the AG. And after the jury acquits him there's not a whole helluva lot anyone can do except maybe a wrongful death suit which the AG would have no sway in one way or the other.

The point of the discussions were in reference to your earlier point that this instance would make you not want to go there. Fact is, this is seemingly commonplace nowadays everywhere you look. The SA should be thankful that the agency backed him on this. Was it a bad thing to happen to everyone involved? Absolutely. Was the SA wrong for what he did? Not according to the agency or the jury. Look back to BearCat's post about the FPS guy that got canned for making traffic stops for a point of reference. Honestly, if that's all it takes to make you want to avoid some place, are you sure you're in the right profession?

Smurfed from my iSmurf using Smurf
                  All charges were DROPPED and ATF has resumed sending agents back. This is old. He was pulled out and wasn't at the trial. It was all BS.
                  Last edited by UCLA1998; 09-02-2015, 12:07 AM.

Comment

Wow, my IQ dropped a few point after reading all these post. Where am I? What's the topic here? Who am I? I'm going to unsubscribe now. Good luck everyone

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Let's try to keep this thread mostly HSI related, please. Even better, mostly related to this application. There are plenty of other places to read about and discuss all of these other topics.

It's up to each applicant to do their own reading and research. Hpy1, thanks for that insight up there.
                      Last edited by aspiring_fed; 09-02-2015, 01:02 AM.

Comment

Does anyone know if ICE will allow applicants to re-use a test from a previous application?

Also, is there a map of the areas covered by each RAC/ SAC office? I'm curious to see what locations fall under San Diego.

Comment

Originally posted by nolo View Post
                          Does anyone know if ICE will allow applicants to re-use a test from a previous application?

Also, is there a map of the areas covered by each RAC/ SAC office? I'm curious to see what locations fall under San Diego.
                          In the announcement it reads:

"Passing scores on the entry-level examination and oral boards are valid indefinitely. If changes have been made to the entry-level examination or oral boards since initial application to the position, applicants must retake the test that has changed."

I am under the impression that the last few announcements have had the same tests and interviews. If you took the test on a computer with the writing sample, you should be good. If you took it with a pencil, that might the outdated test.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply... my eyes must have skipped right over that. Do you know when they last made changes to the test?

Comment

Originally posted by Fuganopolis View Post
                              After I left Hawaii
                              I'd go back to Hawaii in a heart-beat.... but that's just me as living in the military out there and living as a civilian out there are completely different.....but that's just me.

Comment

I would definitely go back for a visit, but never live there again. I only ever saw it from the military side and, while there were absolutely great times to be had at work (the 27 mile ruck up Kolekole and down to the Navy side of Waianae), there were plenty of absolutely miserable times (the 27 mile ruck up Kolekole and down to the Navy side of Waianae). My wife loved it there, but she didn't have to go through all the BS and typical military crap that we know all to well. When I wasn't working, and even sometimes when we were, we would always go to Waimea or the Koa Pancake House in Wahiawa. Man those pancakes were the bee's knees.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8202 users online. 391 members and 7811 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X