Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSI 1811 (August/September 2015 Announcement)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 3.14 Beans View Post
    Weak sauce. Recount!!!
    Thanks, dude.

Comment

• Originally posted by LEO calls View Post
      Are they making the people who passed from the 2011 (canceled) HSI Announcement retest and re-interview?
      100 bucks says they will as all your stuff will be outdated....

Comment

• Got the NOR on the 17th, 110%; that was surprising. Now, time to wait. I hope they'll use my background from the last IEA opening.. anyone know if they would do that?

Comment

• Originally posted by FEDPO View Post
          I hope they'll use my background from the last IEA opening.. anyone know if they would do that?
          Depends how old it was and who did it. If USIS had their hands in it.....or one of the other contractors.....one can only suspect that they start completely over......as all those were compromised by the Chinese.....

Comment

• Originally posted by LEO calls View Post
            Are they making the people who passed from the 2011 (canceled) HSI Announcement retest and re-interview?
            Yes, on the test. I'm pretty sure they would make you interview again since they likely have no record of your last results.

Comment

• FY16 budget...
              ...ICE would see a 17.2 percent hike – or nearly $923 million – under the president's recently unveiled 2016 budget proposal. The agency is also seeking nearly $79 million to hire 201 special agents and 69 associated investigative and operational support personnel within ICE's Homeland Security Investigations, or HSI...

http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fil...t_in_Brief.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Originally posted by FEDPO View Post
                Got the NOR on the 17th, 110%; that was surprising. Now, time to wait. I hope they'll use my background from the last IEA opening.. anyone know if they would do that?
                Nope, they will not.

Comment

• Originally posted by camarritt2011 View Post
                  ...why?
                  I could go on forever. And I agree with having more time and better quality of life while deployed to Afghanistan. The number of people leaving are greater then the numbers coming in, I'll tell you that. If you want actual law enforcement, go somewhere else. If you want to do protection and access control, then this is the place for you. I was very disappointed after getting on the job, but that's just me.
                  Last edited by Lawlor; 01-02-2016, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by hpy1 View Post
                    Also, think about the remoteness of where you are going to live. Does your spouse speak Spanish? Do your kids speak Spanish? If you are not Hispanic, how do you think you will adjust to being a minority? to a new culture? Do your family members have health issues that can be handled in the town in which you are taking the position. Can you afford to fly to see your family for the holidays? Will your family visit you where you are stationed? (Never mind if you want them to visit or not.) Are you okay, with your kids going to school with the kids of the people you arrest? Are you okay with the quality of the school your kids will attend? Are you okay with driving an hour or two or three to the mall? To the hospital? To Walmart, etc?

NYC, LA, and SFO agents have to deal with some of the same issues as the SWB agents. They aren't being permitted to move at the 3 year mark. They have to deal with a super high cost of living vs. the remoteness of the SWB. Plus the traffic they deal with to get to work etc. The good news is, you're not in a remote location and you get things that some SWB agents consider a luxury. Which is better or worse depends on what you want/need where you live.

I'm not claiming the border is worse than the cities or vice versa. I truly just want anyone and everyone taking this job to really take a moment and think about what a move to those locations will mean for them and their family.

I hope that helps any and all of you considering taking this position.
                    Good post. I should add though that there are huge differences depending on where exactly you end up on the border. For three years I lived north of Douglas, AZ in a tiny town called Willcox, then I finally moved to Tucson where I lived for a year.

Willcox was everything that you describe. I actually even arrested my next door neighbor, who happened to be an illegal alien. Once a week I drove the 35 miles to the nearest Wal-mart to do shopping. Several people I had arrested I bumped into at the small local grocery store. Also I stuck out like a unicorn being almost the only Black guy in town. Eventually I had to move to Tucson.

Tucson itself is quite bearable. Plenty of housing stock, decent schools, shopping, etc. Living there however meant that I had to commute 85 miles each way to work, or approximately 2.5-3 hours a day of commuting on top of 10+ hour shifts. So all of the benefits of living there were somewhat negated by the fact that the commuting was killer.

By the time I left the patrol, I literally had seen dozens of coworkers leave. Location was the number one reason.

Still if HSI called I would consider if they offered a location within commuting distance to Tucson or El Paso, but I would turn it down if offered Deming, Presidio or any of the more remote SWB stations.
                    What is Perseverance?
                    -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                    -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                    -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• Can somebody clarify the duties of HSI? Does everything they do center around immigration? It sounds like they are essentially, on paper, FBI, DEA and ATF rolled into one.

Any counter terrorism stuff?

Thanks
                      Last edited by Culper1773; 01-10-2016, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Can somebody clarify the duties of HSI? Does everything they do center around immigration? It sounds like they are essentially, on paper, FBI, DEA and ATF rolled into one.
                        Yeah

"CIA, FBI, DEA, all rolled up into one mean f***ing burrito."
                        What is Perseverance?
                        -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
                        -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
                        -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

• When is the next announcement?

Comment

• Last one was in August, I havent seen or heard any news for application dates in 2016, anxiously waiting myself.

Comment

• My buddy with HSI stated they are looking to hire a minimum of 240 special agents and 150 support personnel in 2016. I wanted to pass the info along. However, take it with a grain of salt.

Comment

Any counter terrorism stuff?
                                Sure, it's one of our priorities! Too bad that we suck at it.

Originally posted by jb2257
                                They are definitely not. No one can match the bureau for the level of resources they can put into an investigation. No one comes close to the level of sophistication that DEA puts into their investigations. In my limited experience HSI does more quick hit cases, where DEA mainly does long term large scale investigations, attempting to take down entire networks rather than cells. If you want broad jurisdiction and variety, go with FBI.
                                Depends on the office you're at then. We have several multi year, international cases out of our office, and the DEA locally is doing dimebag deals with the locals

Originally posted by who me? View Post
                                My buddy with HSI stated they are looking to hire a minimum of 240 special agents and 150 support personnel in 2016. I wanted to pass the info along. However, take it with a grain of salt.
                                I hope so. We have been bleeding support staff and not getting any replacements.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8782 users online. 440 members and 8342 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X