Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HSI 1811 (August/September 2015 Announcement)

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Six years in the army is considered relevant experience by many federal agencies. Hope you are right about upping agent numbers....also good military billets have always been competitive.

Originally posted by camarritt2011 View Post
    Sign of the times. I know a guy through my sister who, by today's standards, walked right into the FBI as an 1811 back in 2002. He just had a bachelor's and six years in the army with no real relevant background. Today he wouldn't have been looked at.

Hell, even the military is competitive right now. You are competing with half the local university graduates for an officer slot because nobody can find jobs.

A few things come to mind, and one might stir the pot a bit but so be it. 1) it is likely there will be some pretty big hiring in about 5 or so years since all of the fed leo's hired after 9/11 will be looking at retirement and 2) Donald Trump is proposing to triple the amount of ICE Agents which I believe includes HSI which would create an insane hiring spree and would unclog a lot of 1811 openings outside of ICE.
    "Between you and every goal that you wish to achieve, there is a series of obstacles, and the bigger the goal, the bigger the obstacles. Your decision to be, have and do something out of the ordinary entails facing difficulties and challenges that are out of the ordinary as well. Sometimes your greatest asset is simply your ability to stay with it longer than anyone else."
    ~ Brian Tracy

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost2Apathy View Post
      Perhaps, I just don't understand why someone with that much experience isn't apply to better positions.

I personally know plenty of 1811s that are younger than myself and can't possibly have the same experience as me.

I guess, I'm just hoping to fall into whatever lucky process they got.

If I ever get the experience like you describe, I would be applying to better positions.
      Entry level announcements aren't going to get old entry level applicants anymore. The lateral 13 jobs are hard to come by and usually go to someone with an in at the agency and is more often than not pre-selected or at times, they are just plain lucky. GS 9/11 announcements for multiple positions provide better odds at getting a shot to get hired but even thats not a sure thing since an agency may not want the experienced candidate but instead seeks the blank canvas. The market is super tough now vs when I was applying years ago during college. For HSI you used to just call up the office, talk to a recruiter, and get a pin to start the process. I was at CITP with people who got hired by HSI with only a college degree. The times are changing and the bar has been raised.

Comment

• A couple thoughts:

If you aren't an 1811, how are you going to apply for a better position? You have to get it somehow, you can't just skip it (unless you are some kind of political appointee, in which case, why are you here?). It's been a long time since I have seen anyone get a true lateral, regardless of your experience you still need to go to CITP. So unless you are already an 1811, regardless of your experience, you have to find an "entry level" position.

Don't get hung up on your starting GS position. Half the time, 5/7/9's get handed out at random, at worst it will take you 5 years to make it to a 13. Ask about pay matching. Cant hurt, and often works.

Everyone hates Dallas/Laguna Nigel HR. I know an agent that was told that he had a position, and HR didn't forward his resume because he worded a section incorrectly. The key to these applications is to spit the questions that they ask you right back at them. Even if your experience isn't a direct match, articulate how it is equivalent. You have to get your application past an indifferent GS5 who neither knows nor cares about anything you say, just if it meets certain criteria so they can get it off of their desk.

Comment

• I was looking at the application process and it doesn't mention taking a physical fitness test. Does anyone know what the physical requirements are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• what do you guys recommend to prepare for the written testing part besides the study guide ICE provides....

Comment

• Got my results as well.
              99 GS09 for San Antonio, Texas

Comment

• Originally posted by WOLF_Pack View Post
                I was looking at the application process and it doesn't mention taking a physical fitness test. Does anyone know what the physical requirements are?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
                To the best of my knowledge (i.e. from my workout buddy who is an HSI 1811), there is no formal PT program or physical requirements. Check out the FLETC website and make sure you can meet the 25%.

Comment

• I got my nor's last night. I got a 96 for GS 9. What I find strange is they didn't award me any vet. Points. It said "0 points NV (adjudicated)" wth?????

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Comment

• I still haven't gotten a NOR.

Seriously, with the way the announcement was written and the way they're doing veteran's points, is it even possible for highly qualified non-vet candidates who aren't current LEO's to get through?

Comment

• Originally posted by nolo View Post
                      I still haven't gotten a NOR.

Seriously, with the way the announcement was written and the way they're doing veteran's points, is it even possible for highly qualified non-vet candidates who aren't current LEO's to get through?
                      I would say there is no way to get a high enough score without either vet points or law enforcement experience
                      BPA -
                      Applied--8/01/10 Exam--8/30/10 NOR-9/01/10 (105) TSL-9/15/10 TSL2-10/14/10 OB--11/30/10 Med/PFT--03/09/11 Drug Test--3/29/11 --E-QIP update-4/12/2011- BI Interview---6/20/11 POLY--11/22/11 PASSED
                      TSU---12-12-2011 5-2-2012 EOD---6-11-2012

Comment

• Originally posted by MetroEast View Post
                        I got my nor's last night. I got a 96 for GS 9. What I find strange is they didn't award me any vet. Points. It said "0 points NV (adjudicated)" wth?????

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
                        I believe "NV" means not verified, which means that they were unable to verify your vet preference with the documents you provided. From what it appears, it seems there are quite a few people who were not awarded vet preference; maybe there was something sneaky in the job announcement that was required? At this point, I wouldn't worry too much about it, given that you made it past the cut-score. But, if you want to chance the gods, you could call them and ask what happened. Given the volatility of HSI hiring, I wouldn't risk it. But, to each his own.

Comment

• 93...guess I'm out this round. Blessings

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Comment

• You are able to redo the questionnaire (reapply) down the road, correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ashan646 View Post
                              what do you guys recommend to prepare for the written testing part besides the study guide ICE provides....
                              Ashan646,

Buy this book on Amazon. Helped me out tremendously. I scored a 95 on the Exam.

Master The Special Agent Exam: Targeted Test Prep to Jump-Start Your Career 12th Edition

http://www.amazon.com/Master-Special...ial+agent+exam

Comment

• nor 89
                                Master's Degree
                                7 years LEO

No big deal really. I think there is a specific way to go about the federal LE process that I'm not savy to, as this was my first application. I know I'm obviously qualified, and answered mostly D, and a couple E's. Most of he E's were supervisor related questions. I'm not a SV, so most of those didn't apply.

Good luck to those who did well. Who really knows how they determine these things.

Curious to see how I do on the ERO position, where I didn't answer nearly as many C, D, and E's.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8124 users online. 366 members and 7758 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X