300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Employment

I have a question concerning employment with law enforcement.

I have a very strong resume. I meet the educational requirements {GED and some College}. I was in the Army for 6 years and the Air Force for 3 years as Air Force Police. I deployed to the Middle East after 9/11 with the Air Force for 6 months.

I have no criminal record. I have a couple of speeding tickets and one minor accident over 3 years ago. No drugs except for a little marijuana in Jr. High.

Here is the question. About 5 years ago, I was having a hard time in life. One night I got myself very intoxicated, and over dosed on sleeping pills in an attempt to end my life. This was the biggest mistake of my life. There is a Police report concerning the incident. Is this one incident going to be a problem when trying to get hired with a Law Enforcement agency? If anybody would like to email me directly, feel free to do so {[email protected]}. Thank you.

Being on a review board for new hires at my dept. I would say yes this would be a negative.
    Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

I would say that it probably would pose a problem. Even though it was long ago as you say, it was still an attempt to end your life. Goes to mental stability. Good luck.
      In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

employment

sflcop,

Thank you for the reply. I understand that it would go towards mental stability. This happened 5 years ago and since then I have spent 3 years as an Air Force police officer and even spent 6 months in the Middle East after 9/11/01. This should certainly prove that I can handle stress and that I am mentally stable. Would this be accurate? What would the hiring review boards think? Thanks again.

Comment

Every agency is different. I am not sure if I would even mention it if I were you, but that is something you will have to decide. Yes, it does look like you have gotten your life together, but the last thing a hring board is going to want to think about is you being suicidial with a badge and a gun.
          In law enforcement, the customer is ALWAYS wrong.

In God we trust. Everyone else is run through NCIC.

Sometimes there is justice. Sometimes there is just us.

I'd rather be tried by 12 then carried by 6.

The opinions given in my posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only.

Comment

I would have to say "nope." Best thing to do is let time pass. Try in about 5-10 years.
            Brutality is when we hit back.
            -Unknown Officer

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5801 users online. 254 members and 5547 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X