300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jerz88 View Post
    Yes you can! Apply to BP, we are hiring in the thousands right now! Get it do some years, get experience under your belt then go for an 1811 position. That's what I did, and you can do it too. Just be patient and apply everywhere!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Border patrol seems cool, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm claustrophobic haha so a drug tunnel and I won't get along well. Other than that, BP seems interesting to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenOfc View Post
      Border patrol seems cool, but I'm not gonna lie, I'm claustrophobic haha so a drug tunnel and I won't get along well. Other than that, BP seems interesting to me.

Lol brahhh. I'm in texas we have 0 tunnels. So there u go no reason not to now!

Comment

Lol brahhh. I'm in texas we have 0 tunnels. So there u go no reason not to now!

What parts of Texas are good places to work with BP under the hiring now? A friend in BP told me to choose Arizona. I also think going back on the tunnel thing those are specialized teams of BPAs. BPAs don't just start going through tunnels from what I know. I want California but it is never open. I am very worried about Spanish honestly. I barely passed Spanish in high school but that was over a decade ago.

Comment

Originally posted by AGInvestigator View Post
          I believe the last announcement was late summer/fall of last year. They hired two classes from the announcement. One is just getting out of FTO and the other one heads to FLETC this month.

I am sure you will see another one soon. They are losing a lot of bodies. At least 6 from my class (me included) have left and others are in the pipeline for other jobs.
          So how many do you think US Park Police are looking to hire? Because hiring only 2 classes does not give me a feeling inside that it is attainable especially now with 20,000 people applying to every job.

Comment

Chances of making fed with a BA?

I think border patrol would be sweet if I got to patrol on a boat every now and then, patrol land borders, etc. switch it up once in a while. Run some night ops..

Comment

I think border patrol would be sweet if I got to patrol on a boat every now and then, patrol land borders, etc. switch it up once in a while. Run some night ops..

I am pretty sure just like anything you have to do your time. You are not going to any specialized unit until you probably have 2-3 years in. "Run some night ops.." Yes you will be working night shift on and off I don't think night shift is very glamorous but if that is what you want go for it. I am not talking about working up until 11pm I am talking about after that up until past sunrise. Everyone's shift constantly rotates from what I know but I believe every station is different from what I am told. You really need to watch the vimeo video before applying.
              Last edited by service4others; 08-14-2015, 11:30 AM.

Comment

BP is hiring for all of Texas, NM and AZ. IF you have nothing to lose I would do it. I moved 36hrs away from home, to come to tex with BP, and I regret nothing. I have more experience in the yrs in have with BP than many other agencies, the amount of work here is never ending.

You will work plenty of "night ops" we rotate all the time. Boats is a specialty unit, after a few yrs u can put in for it. There is plenty of training constantly available to specialize in whatever u want.

If you really have nothing going for u, I'd put in. I love my job it's a ton of fun but a ton of work. Challenging with little to no reward, but it's worth it.

My time has come to keep pushing myself with an 1811 gig, it's been my dream as being a part of LE.

Get in BP, get experience, get out. Like I said I love the job and wouldn't leave but with any LE job there are pros and cons, it's just time to keep going.

Good luck, don't stop

Comment

BP is hiring for all of Texas, NM and AZ. IF you have nothing to lose I would do it. I moved 36hrs away from home, to come to tex with BP, and I regret nothing. I have more experience in the yrs in have with BP than many other agencies, the amount of work here is never ending.

You will work plenty of "night ops" we rotate all the time. Boats is a specialty unit, after a few yrs u can put in for it. There is plenty of training constantly available to specialize in whatever u want.

If you really have nothing going for u, I'd put in. I love my job it's a ton of fun but a ton of work. Challenging with little to no reward, but it's worth it.

My time has come to keep pushing myself with an 1811 gig, it's been my dream as being a part of LE.

Get in BP, get experience, get out. Like I said I love the job and wouldn't leave but with any LE job there are pros and cons, it's just time to keep going.

Good luck, don't stop

How were you with Spanish before and where did you move from?

Comment

Originally posted by service4others View Post
                    How were you with Spanish before and where did you move from?
                    I did not speak a pick of Spanish. The academy teaches you. So long as you apply yourself, you will do just fine. It is very attainable. Plus of you go to another LE agency and you know some spanish, that will always be a plus for you.

I'm from around the NYC area. From one world to another.. if you want a federal career you have to be open and flexible. There will always be opportunities to move around, travel, go to another agency etc.
                    If you don't want that, I'd suggest slgo eith your local LE agencies.

I enjoy what I do a lot, I have had a ton of opportunities and trainings to advance myself. You just need to figure what's best for you.

Comment

Meant to say a lick of spanish. . Dam autocorrect

Comment

Is this at all possible with a BA in CJ? I've expanded my search for jobs to just about anything in the CJ field. I was primarily looking at local LE but I've been done with school for two years now and I've gotten no where. I've applied to some fed agencies within the past two years but have also gotten no where. I just applied to the ATF for the investigative analyst position that was recently posted. They want at least one year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement within your Bachelor's degree, which I was able to apply with.

I feel burnt out from job hunting and I know there's a million and one others in my position as well. I don't know if I should go back to school for a master's or not. I also don't want to waste my money on continuing my education if this CJ degree isn't marketable.
                        Ocso.com <<<< they are hiring anyone and everyone. I am leaving that agency for a fed LEO gig, and I will tell you first hand you will get no better work experience to prepare you for a job with the feds than the OCSO. Its a 1600 sworn agency in a high crime area. Lots of positions within the agency... I worked there for 7 years (patrol for 4, SWAT for 5, and Robbery detective for 3).

Comment

Also, if you ever get your master's or want to enroll in classes to remain eligible for student positions, keep your eye peeled for internships or student trainee jobs with federal agencies. Some agencies still do have internships that push people into full-time, sworn jobs after the internship's completion. HSI had one about a year ago, though that one ended up only picking up veterans. USPS OIG has a student cooperative that, from another thread, seems to be a good way to get an 1811 job with that agency (just search "USPS" on USAJobs, and those positions will pop up). I'm sure some other OIGs have similar opportunities, and the smaller the agency, the more easily noticed your work will be by those who make hiring decisions.

So, bottom line: Is it likely to get hired as an 1811 with just a bachelor's? Absolutely not. Does it happen? Yep.

Comment

So, bottom line: Is it likely to get hired as an 1811 with just a bachelor's? Absolutely not. Does it happen? Yep.[/QUOTE]

If you have LE experience with a Bachelor's it is very attainable. Not easy, but attainable. Just because one has a Masters does not make that person more marketable then the next.. will that give you extra brownie points? Maybe, but in the end you need to be a combination of a well rounded candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by scott50 View Post
                              Ocso.com <<<< they are hiring anyone and everyone. I am leaving that agency for a fed LEO gig, and I will tell you first hand you will get no better work experience to prepare you for a job with the feds than the OCSO. Its a 1600 sworn agency in a high crime area. Lots of positions within the agency... I worked there for 7 years (patrol for 4, SWAT for 5, and Robbery detective for 3).
                              All about who you know and now what you know...

Trying to get sponsored
                              I don't expect you to know what it takes to deal with what I deal with every day in a high risk area because you've never been swinging in the breeze dealing with XYZ with no qualified immunity to protect everything you own and no cavalry at the end of a radio...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5404 users online. 246 members and 5158 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X