300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of making fed with a BA?

Is this at all possible with a BA in CJ? I've expanded my search for jobs to just about anything in the CJ field. I was primarily looking at local LE but I've been done with school for two years now and I've gotten no where. I've applied to some fed agencies within the past two years but have also gotten no where. I just applied to the ATF for the investigative analyst position that was recently posted. They want at least one year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement within your Bachelor's degree, which I was able to apply with.

I feel burnt out from job hunting and I know there's a million and one others in my position as well. I don't know if I should go back to school for a master's or not. I also don't want to waste my money on continuing my education if this CJ degree isn't marketable.

I believe it is possible to get a 0083 (police officer) position with a BA. Your problem will always be that veterans will have preference over you and people with more advanced degrees and/or experience will be applying to the same positions. Your best bet if you must do federal LEO (local PD or state police would probably be a better bet than FED LEO to get your foot in the door and get experience) you need to apply to a low desirability agency such as the following:

DoD police (as in department of army, department of navy, DLA, and others)
    BoP - gets your foot in the door, starts your LE retirement, and an overall good starter
    US Army CID program- look up the thread lots of information there and could be a good place for you. Also could have the shortest hiring timeline. You do have to be okay with serving the military.

Apply to every agency possible and you're bound to stick somewhere.
    TDF

Comment

Chances of making fed with a BA?

Thanks for the advice, I will check out all that was mentioned. I check out usajobs just about everyday and go to individual federal agencies' websites to check their job openings. I even check my state's jobs website for openings all the time.

I feel like a bachelor's is so low on the totem pole nowadays but like TDF mentioned.. Something's gotta happen sooner or later.

I just want to get the big boy job and be totally independent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by NextGenOfc; 08-10-2015, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by NextGenOfc View Post
        Is this at all possible with a BA in CJ? I've expanded my search for jobs to just about anything in the CJ field. I was primarily looking at local LE but I've been done with school for two years now and I've gotten no where. I've applied to some fed agencies within the past two years but have also gotten no where. I just applied to the ATF for the investigative analyst position that was recently posted. They want at least one year of graduate level education or superior academic achievement within your Bachelor's degree, which I was able to apply with.I feel burnt out from job hunting and I know there's a million and one others in my position as well. I don't know if I should go back to school for a master's or not. I also don't want to waste my money on continuing my education if this CJ degree isn't marketable.
        It is not that your BA degree is not marketable it is the fact the economy is still stagnant with growth (GDP for Q1 was 1% and Q2 was at 2.0%) and many like you are in your same shoes. What you should do is get a job that requires a degree something professional and keep applying to Local LE and Fed LE. It might not be the job you want because trust me I have been there but you need to show this initiative on your resume. You will notice it is going to be hard to land a professional job as well that does require a BA degree. Because there are a lot of people competing out there 97 million unemployed plus others. I would apply to technical sales jobs with major corporations with your degree. Most FED 1811 spots want a minimum of 3 professional working years, that can be LEO or anything that requires a degree. I would not dive back into school as I know plenty of people with Masters, MBAs ,and JDs out of work. It is just the sign of the times. Keep applying. Why not BPA? That is a great Fed LE gig.
        Last edited by service4others; 08-10-2015, 06:57 PM.

Comment

A CJ degree doesn't do much. You want an investigative position, yet a CJ degree doesn't provide anything that you can use. It's just a CJ degree. All you know is CJ. Nothing about fiduciary crimes, no law, no analysis, nada. That's why we tell people not to go that route...
          Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
            A CJ degree doesn't do much. You want an investigative position, yet a CJ degree doesn't provide anything that you can use. It's just a CJ degree. All you know is CJ. Nothing about fiduciary crimes, no law, no analysis, nada. That's why we tell people not to go that route...
            I think next was just asking what LE job they can get with the degree. A CJ degree is a BA degree and he or she should be fine for Local LE and some FED LEO positions. I think they know 1811 is unattainable at the moment. They have all the right requirements for Local LE BPA and other Federal Police Officer positions. But on your point I know I always wanted to go into LE and I did not study Criminal Justice because I know that did not make a difference. As long as you had a Bachelors degree from an accredited institution. I do see your point on that side.
            Last edited by service4others; 08-10-2015, 07:12 PM.

Comment

Yeah 1811 is not happening right now. I just wish I majored in something else, but that boat already left the harbor..

Comment

Yeah 1811 is not happening right now. I just wish I majored in something else, but that boat already left the harbor..

Like I said before they do not care what you majored in as long as you have the degree. In fact for Local LE it would not hurt to major in CJ because it shows you have passion and interest in the general field. Do not knock it. If you have a job right now keep applying to Local LE. In my state they are hiring always like crazy in certain parts of the state.

Comment

Nope. It won't make any difference for local LE. The ACADEMY teaches you ALL you need to know for certification purposes. You should read and heed the many discussions we've had on this subject. It's a dead end.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I know, I've seen many. But, degree is better than no degree.

Last edited by NextGenOfc; 08-10-2015, 08:33 PM.

Comment

I know, I've seen many. But, degree is better than no degree.

How many state/local agencies have you applied to? I know a lot of agencies are hiring. Have you looked at the U.S. Park Police? I used to be with them and it is a great way to get your foot in the door.
                      Last edited by AGInvestigator; 08-10-2015, 09:20 PM.

Comment

I've lost count, maybe 30-40+. I'm sure that's nothing compared to others. I will look them up and see what I can find. I think I've seen a couple postings in the area in the past.

Last edited by NextGenOfc; 08-10-2015, 08:59 PM.

Comment

I've lost count, maybe 30-40+. I'm sure that's nothing compared to others. I will look them up and see what I can find. I think I've seen a couple postings in the area in the past.

Are you willing to move anywhere? PM me and I can give you some info about some opportunities out West.

Comment

Eh, honestly, I really don't think I want to move away from everyone I know. I've mainly been looking at things within a reasonable driving distance (about an hour drive). I know that severely limits my opportunities, especially from a federal agency stand point, but I just don't think I want to move away from my friends and family. Although getting out of state sounds nice, I don't think I'd enjoy not seeing family for long periods of time.

Comment

It's all about sacrifice. If you really want it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11165 users online. 458 members and 10707 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X