300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phone Interview Advice

New poster here. I already did my introduction in the intro forum so I'll just get to the point. I landed a interview with an OIG 1811 that is not in my current city. The interview will be taking place over the phone next week and I was wondering if anyone could share any tips/tricks or had any specific advice for phone interviews. I won't go as specific as what types of questions I'll be asked as I'm sure it differs among all of the OIGs, but thought there may be some advice out there. I can share the specific agency if you PM me.

MIZ,

Phone interviews, in my opinion, are the easiest to excel at. First make sure you find a place where you will not be disturbed. Second, I would look at the announcement you applied for and look at the specifics skills/abilities they are looking for. For each one write yourself a small blurb or story that you could relate that demonstrates your ability. Also have your resume in front of you with the key parts that relate to said position circled. Have all relevant information about the agency in front of you ala mission, core values, amount of personnel, and maybe a recent news paper article if available. Have all of this sitting out in front of you for easy access during the interview.

The keys to success are always be yourself, know yourself, be able to verbalize your experiences, and know about the agency/job. You may have a go a little slower than normal in order to ensure the interviewer is able to write down all of your relevant information.

Good Luck!
    TDF

Comment

TheDamonFactor hit it right on the head. And it might be wierd, but I always put on a suit for even a phone interview. For me, it got me in the right mindset. I treated every phone interview as if I was in the room with the interviewer(s).

Also be careful with explaining things with gestures and nods. I am a very physical talker and you have to change that a little for a phone interview.

Good Luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! This is a dream career for me and in a dream location so I really want to nail it. I have struggled with behavioral type questions in the past, but that was when I was in college and hadn't done much prep work for entry level positions. Im obviously taking this more seriously and am going to make sure I'm overly prepared. Any good books or prep materials out there that would specifically tailor to a typical 1811 interview?

Comment

One tip regarding phone interviews, not already mentioned above, which I read long ago and have used successfully is to remember to smile while talking. Even though they cannot see you, if you smile it will carry through in your tone.

Obviously I don't think you should sit there with a **** eating grin on your face the entire time, rather smile naturally as you would if it were an in-person interview.

Comment

Originally posted by MIZ-ZOU12 View Post
            Any good books or prep materials out there that would specifically tailor to a typical 1811 interview?
            I have found that the interviews vary widely. Some have been easy and others have required a writing assignment be completed within an hour of interview completion. However, internet research on interviews should cover everything you need to know.

Comment

If you take the call on a landline, turn OFF your cell. No tv, radio, kids, dogs, cats, nothing!
              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

During my initial call, I found the ASAC to be very easy to talk to and very friendly. However, I failed to ask any questions about the structure of the interview. Is this something that I should have done? Should I follow up with some questions or will that seem desperate? Although I understand that the only thing I can control is myself at this point, I also wish I knew how many others I am competing with...

Comment

If you have the opportunity to ask questions, ask questions relevant to the position. Doing so is not an act of desperation.

Comment

Should I follow up with some questions or will that seem desperate?
                    I understand exactly where you are coming from with this. I usually get all OCD'd out and research everything I can about an agency before I apply which usually alleviates my need to ask any questions (I always feel weird when they ask). Just try to come up with at least one that either you or your wife/husband/family/dog/fish/pet rock came up with. I think one of the questions I asked after a successful interview was something along the lines of a recommended reading list prior to the academy. (...Nerrrddddddddddddddd)

Good luck!

Note: Just be sure that you DO NOT ask a question that is common knowledge or easily searchable/on their FAQ page. Just my $1.73
                    "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I can put it to use!

Comment

Another tip that has always worked for me (I'm an OIG guy): don't sit down during the phone call. Walk around and stay active. There is a reason why top companies encourage their sales force (you are selling yourself after all) to stand up and walk around on the phone when closing a deal or making a pitch. Sounds kind of silly but it has worked for me. However, if you personally don't feel comfortable doing this then definitely don't try it for the first time for an important call. The key is to remain confident and comfortable. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by CAMIMD View Post
                          Another tip that has always worked for me (I'm an OIG guy): don't sit down during the phone call. Walk around and stay active. There is a reason why top companies encourage their sales force (you are selling yourself after all) to stand up and walk around on the phone when closing a deal or making a pitch. Sounds kind of silly but it has worked for me. However, if you personally don't feel comfortable doing this then definitely don't try it for the first time for an important call. The key is to remain confident and comfortable. Good luck!
                          CAMIMD: Any chance you might want to turn your PM's on? I have a few questions I'd like to ask you.

Comment

Had my phone interview yesterday with the ASAC and SAC. Overall I thought it went well although I was shocked at how many behavioral type questions there were. I may have rambled a bit at times, but think I was able to get my point across and convey how I think I can benefit the agency. I used a lot of the advice that you all gave me and it is much appreciated. ASAC indicated that I should here back from him by the 6th of March at the very least after they have narrowed it down to 2-3 people. I am curious as to what the next interview will be since the behavioral style questions have already been done. Either way, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. After hearing more about the agency, I want the gig even more.

Comment

Had my phone interview yesterday with the ASAC and SAC. Overall I thought it went well although I was shocked at how many behavioral type questions there were. I may have rambled a bit at times, but think I was able to get my point across and convey how I think I can benefit the agency. I used a lot of the advice that you all gave me and it is much appreciated. ASAC indicated that I should here back from him by the 6th of March at the very least after they have narrowed it down to 2-3 people. I am curious as to what the next interview will be since the behavioral style questions have already been done. Either way, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. After hearing more about the agency, I want the gig even more.
                              Miz-zou12: Your PM's aren't on, so I can't PM you this question: Which agency did you interview with? If you don't want to respond in the thread, feel free to PM me. I, too, have landed an interview with an OIG and am curious to know the difference/similarities in the process between different OIG's.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7918 users online. 373 members and 7545 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X