300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for getting hired in Georgia?

I'm pretty sure this is the right place to ask this question, if not let me know.

I'm currently still enlisted with a little over a year left until separation. I've already made contact with some agencies in Georgia, but GSP is my main goal. I want to get qualified before my enlistment ends, but it seems like the usual dates for the Academy are January through July. The problem with this is my DOS is 8 August 2016. So, if there is going to be another opening next year, I will have just missed it. From what I can tell, there is no way to get "pre-qualified" which sucks, because that means there is no guarantee that they will want me after separation, and end up getting left without a job.

What I am most concerned about is getting out and having to wait another six or so months before I can even apply. I'm currently still building up my emergency savings but I'm hoping I won't have to use much of it. I know I really want to be a Trooper, so is there a better way I can handle my current situation? I don't have any hard skills such as mechanical knowledge or anything to hold me over financially until the next application process.

I am open to any and all advice. Seeing as I just turned 21, I figured some of you with more experience might be able to help me make better decisions. Thank you.

Simple fix my friend, so this is what I did. Before I completed my service with the military I enrolled in school. You need to take the SAT,MAT, or ACT to get accepted. Research and see what test would work best for you. Apply with the school of your choice and get accepted. You want to be accepted and enrolled in class so when you DOS you can transition straight to class. The POST 911 will pay for all your classes and give you around 1,000+a month for cost of living. You need to be enrolled full time to an accredited school. This will provide you with income and get some education behind you while you wait for GSP. If you have any questions IM and I can help with any questions.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion! That's certainly a good way to go about things. I'll just have to be super strict with my budget. I'm thinking of possibly going back home and going to the community college there. I also contacted the local Sheriff's office about a job, but I would hate to use the department like that with my ultimate goal of being a state or federal LEO.

Comment

Goto Atlanta Police. I spent 5 years there before going to the FEDs. I learned how police and got great training. If your ok being in an urban environment that's your best choice.

Comment

Yes, exactly what makes you want to be a trooper, if i may ask? Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just curious.

Gsp will assign you to a post , and they usually assign you as far away from "home" as they can for the initial station.

Gsp does very different jobs depending on where you get assigned. Some small country jurisdictions, you may be out answering 911 calls with the locals, but the closer to atlanta you get, the more you will be working traffic, traffic, and traffic. If all you want out of your law enforcement career is to do 12 accident reports and some speeding tickets every day, then rock on. If you want to be "a cop", I would suggest a PD or SO where you can learn the ropes.

Where is "home" and perhaps we can suggest some good departments to try?
          USMS Region 3
          Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
          Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
          Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
          BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
          Medical:2/15/10
          MedicalReview: 4/15/10
          FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
          Drug: 6/5/10
          Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
          Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
          Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
          Written: 12/27/10
          NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
          To:
          Medical:

Comment

Turn on you PM and I will give you some good information

Comment

Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
              Yes, exactly what makes you want to be a trooper, if i may ask? Not that there's anything wrong with that, I'm just curious.

Gsp will assign you to a post , and they usually assign you as far away from "home" as they can for the initial station.

Gsp does very different jobs depending on where you get assigned. Some small country jurisdictions, you may be out answering 911 calls with the locals, but the closer to atlanta you get, the more you will be working traffic, traffic, and traffic. If all you want out of your law enforcement career is to do 12 accident reports and some speeding tickets every day, then rock on. If you want to be "a cop", I would suggest a PD or SO where you can learn the ropes.

I agree with this.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. You may apply to GSP and then get rejected for whatever reason, trust me, departments disqualify people for the most ridiculous reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                I agree with this.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket. You may apply to GSP and then get rejected for whatever reason, trust me, departments disqualify people for the most ridiculous reasons.
                Not to mention with the budgets as of late, people have waited for close to or over a year waiting for a gsp class date, so even if you wanted Gsp, it may take forever . And don't get me started on their pay...
                USMS Region 3

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                To:
                Medical:

Comment

The furthest post away from home thing isn't true anymore, every guy that has graduated in the past few years has gone to either their home territory or close to it.

Away from Atlanta is fun because you can get in with the local guys and get to cherry pick the good calls and skip the barking dogs and never ending domestics/playing parents to other peoples kids and shaking doors in your zone. You have a collection of counties to go hunt drunks, find dope or whatever you want to focus on.

Working in Atlanta you can chase motorcycles, hood ride and get all the damn foot chases you want and if the day is slow just monitor APDs SOS channel and wait for them to call out with a car jacking or shooting then go raise hell.

Both have their benefits, for me the overwhelming amount of freedom with the state made it so much better.

At the end of the day its not the kind of agency you work for its the kind of officer you are, you can have .1 sq miles to patrol but if you are the kind of guy that goes wide open everyday, you can make things happen.

Just have to find what fits.
                  Originally posted by Rudy8116
                  The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Originally posted by CruiserClass
                  OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Comment

Originally posted by 02paul09 View Post
                    The furthest post away from home thing isn't true anymore, every guy that has graduated in the past few years has gone to either their home territory or close to it.

Away from Atlanta is fun because you can get in with the local guys and get to cherry pick the good calls and skip the barking dogs and never ending domestics/playing parents to other peoples kids and shaking doors in your zone. You have a collection of counties to go hunt drunks, find dope or whatever you want to focus on.

Working in Atlanta you can chase motorcycles, hood ride and get all the damn foot chases you want and if the day is slow just monitor APDs SOS channel and wait for them to call out with a car jacking or shooting then go raise hell.

Both have their benefits, for me the overwhelming amount of freedom with the state made it so much better.

At the end of the day its not the kind of agency you work for its the kind of officer you are, you can have .1 sq miles to patrol but if you are the kind of guy that goes wide open everyday, you can make things happen.

Well said....I stand corrected ... Mostly
                    USMS Region 3

To:
                    Medical:

Comment

I'm currently stationed in Sumter, South Carolina. Home for me would be Camden County Georgia. I'm not biased against working in another state, it's just that I have family there that is reaching old age; and even though they are stubborn and deny help from time to time, I'd like to be somewhat close by.

GSP seems more familiar to me, I understand that compared to my job in the service, it is vastly different. I like the military style organization, but above all, I like that I have a little more freedom to be proactive. I understand that the Troopers' main mission is traffic enforcement, but, I honestly believe I wouldn't mind it too much. I've been on a few ride-alongs (not justifying any experiences here) and from my perception, you can do quite a bit of good out on the road. Another benefit is the area of jurisdiction as well as the potential to move around the state some which is nice. I'm also not big on living in big cities, and I think that I can have a pretty good opportunity to live in a small to mid size town. I'm not leaning completely towards trooper, I've thought about being a deputy, but Trooper would be nice.

Originally posted by Hopeful SA View Post
                      Turn on you PM and I will give you some good information
                      Wasn't aware that it was off, sorry about that.

Originally posted by beachcop05 View Post
                      I agree with this.

I know, and this sucks. I'm not sure I want to work for the city. State or County seems more appealing to me.Thank you for the advice!

I'd like to add though, I have contacted South Carolina's agency, and they seem pretty quick to put me into a position, from what I understood they were hosting two academy dates and I would've just missed the one in July, as my enlistment ends in August of 2016. They seemed eager to get me in!

Not to mention with the budgets as of late, people have waited for close to or over a year waiting for a gsp class date, so even if you wanted Gsp, it may take forever . And don't get me started on their pay...
                      I understand that compared to military perks and benefits, I might have somewhat of an advantage. The pay can't be that bad can it? Are there better opportunities for me out there? What about upward mobility in the agency?

Originally posted by 02paul09 View Post

Thank you for the detailed response, I'm not concerned about being far from home, because I've been pretty far! I actually like that I have the chance to move around a bit. A nice change of scenery every once in awhile is a part of what I like about my current service in the military. I'd prefer to work in somewhat less populated areas. I haven't lived in a city but I have visited a few. I don't mind visiting but I don't think I'd like to live or work there for a long time. Like you said, I like the amount of freedom that the state would allow me to have. There were a few posts I've read about people knocking the state's pay and what not, but, I don't think it can be that bad right? I'm really hoping there is good upward mobility for motivated people.

I'm listening to what your saying, and I do believe the career of law enforcement is what you make of it. I'm really focused on the Trooper/ Deputy positions instead of the city because I just don't think I'd like working in the city for the rest of my career. Either way, I think I'd be good at this job and hopefully will enjoy it vs the career field I'm in now. The field I'm in now just isn't for me. I do good work and have gotten promoted early, excellent Enlisted Performance Reports, plenty of volunteer time in the community and overall am a good Airman. I want to crosstrain and will see how that goes, but my field is critically undermanned and most likely, I won't be let go.

Comment

Well at least if you're lucky enough to get posted near Camden , you have plenty of highway interdiction to work and the local SO will be stirring the pot all the time.

As an alternative, as close as Camden is , you have savannah and Chatham county pd one direction, and Jacksonville Sheriff just across the florida line. JSO is a good organization , you will get into plenty of ****, and they have tons of upward mobility and advancement into special assignments. I'm sure savannah is good also, but doesn't have the size of JAX.
                        USMS Region 3

To:
                        Medical:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10191 users online. 430 members and 9761 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X