300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPM Brackground Investigator

Hey all, just joined here a few days ago.

This site looks amazing, wish I knew about it earlier. Anyways, I found some old threads about being a Background Investigator for OPM, but they were from 5+ years ago so I'm not sure if everything is still relevant with those threads.

I was just wondering if anyone on here does this job or knows anyone that does? I've recently applied to a lot of these positions and everything seems like I am 100% qualified for this job, especially since in the questionnaires, I give the answer E for every question (Have I supervised or been the go to person for _________ situation).

A little about my background is this.
    - BA in Criminology (Magna Cum Laude) with Minor in Italian (Fluent w/ overseas experience).
    - Work on a daily basis with local, state and federal Law Enforcement.
    - Previous work with State Troopers (Passed polygraph and 10+ year background investigation).
    - currently have 3+ years of Surveillance and Investigation work.

When I first got out of college I almost got on the CPB but the process took ages and I already had an offer from the troopers. It took the CPB over a year to tell me I passed my exam (92%), and then 5 months later to ask me to take my PE test, then another couple months to go to the next step. At that point I had already worked with the State Troopers and started my current job.

I'm in my mid 20's and feel like I have the knowledge and experience now to make the next step.

Anyone else in the same boat as me?

- I.G.

Some of your wording is odd. What do you mean you worked "with" state troopers and had a "job offer" from the troopers? Were you a trooper or a civilian employee?

I lost touch with a guy who was an OPM investigator; he used to work for me as an officer before he moved across the country. He got on as an OPM investigator and said he really liked it. I can't tell you any more than that.

Comment

Sorry, I have noticed wording changes from state to state and job to job haha.

I was a Dispatcher for the State Troopers (Highway Patrol). I used "with" due to me not having been a State Trooper but rather a Dispatcher for the Highway Patrol. They made us do the same background investigation as the State Troopers did too. It took close to 6 months if I remember correctly.

By "job offer", I just meant that I had interviewed with them while I was still in the process with the CBP, and they ended up giving me and offer for the Dispatcher job.

I didn't work for the State Troopers for too long though because after a few months with them, I had received an offer for a job from my current employer, and at that time, I felt that was the best opportunity for me!

Thanks,

I.G.
      Last edited by ItalyGuy; 02-05-2015, 10:25 PM.

Comment

I too applied for this job.
        My background is very similar to yours.
        War of attrition

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
          I too applied for this job.
          My background is very similar to yours.
          Lets hope we both get lucky. Lot's of openings out there, and it looks like they are using "Direct Hire" so we don't have to worry about someone having "preference", but I wonder how many applied and how they will pick. I notice they all say due to the urgency, they hope to have everything set within 40 days of closing, which is awesome because that's the worst part about applying for Fed stuff, the wait haha.

Comment

All you do is BG investigations. That's it. No cop stuff. No guns. No cars with gadgets...
            Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
              All you do is BG investigations. That's it. No cop stuff. No guns. No cars with gadgets...
              Cccsd, I know this and I'd actually enjoy this!

Comment

Then just say you were a dispatcher -- no shame in that. The local tow truck drivers can say they "work with" the highway patrol.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  Then just say you were a dispatcher -- no shame in that. The local tow truck drivers can say they "work with" the highway patrol.
                  Thanks. I think I just forget to put Dispatcher in there (I was drained that night).

This may sound crazy but I spoke with other LE people on the county level in Franklin County and they didn't even know the Troopers had dispatchers! Even the hiring rep didn't know haha! Because of that though, I often just say I worked with the Troopers.

I live in Ohio like you!
                  Last edited by ItalyGuy; 02-06-2015, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CCCSD View Post
                    Bingo....

I've got a good friend doing it.

He works from the house, US Gov gives him a cell phone computer/printer/fax, and a car to use....and he drives around the greater KC area talking to folks about people trying to get US Gov clearances.

About once a year, he has gotten the chance to travel overseas and do interviews on folks....He's been to Germany, Italy, and Japan.....

Not a bad gig if you know what you are getting into..... There is no LE Authority at all.

My only issue would be knocking on some idiots door to talk about his homie.....and they either think you are the Feds.....or see them doing stuff they shouldn't be doing and having no protection.

That's just me....

Comment

Thanks for the insight bearcat.

The more I hear about this job, the more I am interested in it. This sounds right up my alley.

You have a good point though about walking up to some random persons house and asking about his friend. One would think though that if someone were applying for a fed job that involved that extensive of a background check, they wouldn't put someone on there that would be questionable in that way. You never know though these days and with the dummies out there. I would think though that you would at least contact them beforehand. I know when my friends were interviewed during my BI, they were contacted before hand.

Would you be able to reveal the credentials your friend had by chance before he got the job? From the old forums it sounded like a lot of older people applied that were pretty much retired from LE jobs.

My current job is a non-LE job, but I work directly with various LE agencies on investigations they are doing on certain people.

I.G.

Comment

Only issue becomes if you want to move on.... Since its an 1810 slot doing non-criminal background checks....you will have issues trying to move over to an 1811 Special Agent position....as in most of those gigs, you need some sort of criminal investigative background....and this job isn't it...

Comment

That's a good point. At this moment, and thinking about the future, I am not sure if I would want to get into 1811 type of work. Also, as lame or dull as it may seem, this type of work interests me a lot. It's similar to what I am doing now and I fully enjoy it.

I.G.

Comment

I applied. 15 years in Fed LE. Bachelor Degree. Fingers Crossed.

Be safe.

Comment

Originally posted by HBBS28 View Post
                              I applied. 15 years in Fed LE. Bachelor Degree. Fingers Crossed.

Be safe.
                              Good luck. You seem to be well qualified.

I take it you probably at least put in for the North East positions they had posted? I did as well.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11919 users online. 452 members and 11467 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X