300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Federal Law Enforcement question/help please

I currently work for a federal agency doing financial investigative work at banks but in a non-law enforcement position. I have had this position for the past three years (hired directly out of college.) I have been trying to obtain a job in federal law enforcement for the past two years. I have made it through various rounds of the application process with a number of different agencies including making it to the final selection round of two applications but with no luck. I am worried that the background at my current job, with no law enforcement experience or capacity, is not going to provide that final push/experience that I need to get into a federal position.

My question is this: with three years federal government experience and financial investigative background would it help me or hurt me to take a job as a police officer for the next few years to add the law enforcement experience to my resume as well? I feel stuck in my current position and it is not what I wanted as my ultimate carrier, I was always hoping it would be a stepping stone to a federal LEO job. I really appreciate any experience anyone may have to offer. Thank you for your time.

Originally posted by bbowser1515 View Post
    My question is this: with three years federal government experience and financial investigative background would it help me or hurt me to take a job as a police officer for the next few years to add the law enforcement experience to my resume as well? I feel stuck in my current position and it is not what I wanted as my ultimate carrier, I was always hoping it would be a stepping stone to a federal LEO job. I really appreciate any experience anyone may have to offer. Thank you for your time.
    Very curious as to the responses you get to this question. I am in nearly the same boat.

One question I have for you is: does your current agency employ 1811s? If so, have you attempted to network with them in hopes of putting your name out there and getting in front of some hiring managers (SACs)?

Comment

Its all luck and connections man. I know several young people that have been hired by their OIG wing of their agency. You have to let the powers that be know your interested.

I was local for a number of years before my federal jobs. Being local you will learn how to police and to communicate. Skills that are needed. It's really a gut call man. Lots of non LEO's get 1811 jobs.

Comment

It depends upon what the agency needs/wants are. Are they willing to send someone to FLETC? Are you a vet? Lots of budgets are being cuts so some agencies are being cheap and only going with folks who've been through the academy. Also some agencies are under mandates to hire vets. Going local may help you but not really move you along as patrol work and criminal investigating are 2 different beats by federal standards.
        I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Taking a police job won't hurt you. If you can get into a larger dept with a detective bureau that handles financial crimes, you'd be golden.
          They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

All I can say is that there is a huge difference between the locals and the feds. Make sure that you really want to do it.
            Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6666 users online. 262 members and 6404 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X