Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• physical qualifications

Hey,
    I am currently in my last 6 weeks of my bachelor's degree in criminal justice. I live in Washington but I am planning on moving to San Diego after this quarter and I really want to be an officer down there. The only thing I'm really worried about is my physical condition. Back in may I tore ligaments off the bone on my ankle and then walked around on it hoping it would get better untill September when I finally had to have surgery to repair not only the ligaments but one of the tendons in my ankle. It is because of this that I haven't been able to really do any running since the pain in my ankle ended up being so bad before surgery. I am starting to begin working on it again since I just got done with physical therapy at the beginning of the year. I am just wondering how much emphasis would be put on this by agencies even though the doctor said the structure of my ankle wasn't damaged. Also because of that I have gained around 20 lbs since may which puts me at 6'3 300lbs. I have always been active through school and am trying to get back to around 250lbs. I was also wondering how much emphasis is put on physical size by agencies?
    I appreciate all feedback

Thanks
    Zack

You must be able to pass the PT test to get in, and throughout the academy. There is no getting around that. As for the ankle, it would be reviewed by the dept. MD.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Thanks for the answer about the ankle. I don't really have any doubts that eventually I'll be able to get in shape for the physical test I was just wondering because here the agencies have weight requirements you have to fit into or get a waiver for. I have never fit into the categories for someone 6'3 their max weight is 220 and my senior year of high school I was 6'3 250 so I was just more wondering if all agencies have these type of requirements or not

Comment

Each agency has their own specifics.
        Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

I wouldnt worry about max weight. Ive seen some big boys at fletc in CITP.
          I would try to give an appearance of weight proportional to height as you may get secretly DQd during the interview because the panel feels like you are out of shape.

Comment

DIET (BIGGEST THING TO ENSURE YOU DO WHEN TRYING TO CUT WEIGHT), hammer your core, drink nothing but water, swim, and do pull ups/push ups until you die. That will shed most of it off of you and eventually, once your ankle heals, start knocking out morning walks, squats, and lunges before you start running on it.

I messed my ankle up pretty bad a few months ago (weighted runs with my Lab that decided to make a nice turn while running off-road) and ended up having to refrain from running/lower body for a while. Did the above while recovering and didn't end up losing too much in terms of time/endurance.

Good luck!
            "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

Thank you all you guys have given me some really great advice/ info I really appreciate it. It's definitely been harder with this whole ankle thing but I'm gonna keep working on it and I'll get there.
              Thanks again

Comment

Regarding your ankle, I rolled mine really bad playing basketball at FLETC on week 2. It was so bad that for the remaining 10 weeks, I spent 4 hours a day in the training shop icing my foot 3-4x a day for 45-60 min a session, and getting my ankle fused together with tape by the trainer, so they wouldn't send me home. In that time, I swam every afternoon for 60-90 minutes (400-800m then take a brake, repeat) and after about 6 weeks, slowly reintroduced the elliptical and spin bike into my routine (with ankle taping) in addition to the swimming. I also kept up my weight routine in the evenings when the gym was empty. I shed a few pounds and when it came time for the final PT test, I was 4th overall in my class for the run despite not having run in 10 weeks. In short, swimming really works, so do that until the ankle heals.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8740 users online. 357 members and 8383 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X