Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 AFOSI Developmental Job Announcement

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Officers 1811?

    Originally posted by FormerUSAF View Post
    I know we are hurting for civilian agents, I cannot remember the amount, but apply. The job has its ups and downs, but it really is something unique when you are operating in foreign countries. Good luck everyone, we are very selective!
    Just curious do you have any commissioned officers in 1811 positions within OSI or is it all enlisted? If so would they be hiring for that too right now on the mil side?

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Det_sje View Post
      I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason.

      Can anybody give what the process is like for AFOSI and how many they intend to hire?

      Reason I ask is because they just had the PAQ last year and now they want to start again with a general posting?
      I interviewed for the DEV vacancy a few years ago. Basically you submit the package and the next step is the interview (at Quantico). I was very impressed with the applicants I was interviewing with. Definitely a selective agency.

      Although I didn't make it through. If you make it to the interview you have a good chance of getting picked up.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by service4others View Post
        Just curious do you have any commissioned officers in 1811 positions within OSI or is it all enlisted? If so would they be hiring for that too right now on the mil side?
        Those who are actually in the Air Force (officers or enlisted) are not 1811s. They're military special agents, but the GS-1811 series is specific to civilians.

        To answer your question, though: Yes, there are commissioned officer OSI agents.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
          Those who are actually in the Air Force (officers or enlisted) are not 1811s. They're military special agents, but the GS-1811 series is specific to civilians.

          To answer your question, though: Yes, there are commissioned officer OSI agents.
          I always make 1811 equivalent to Special Agent and vice versa. Completely forgot the GS is the civilian rating and they are not considered 1811s but Special Agent. Thanks because from what I know Army CID does not have Commissioned Officers that are acting Special Agents this is why I asked. Was not familiar at all with AFOSI or the others.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by service4others View Post
            I always make 1811 equivalent to Special Agent and vice versa. Completely forgot the GS is the civilian rating and they are not considered 1811s but Special Agent. Thanks because from what I know Army CID does not have Commissioned Officers that are acting Special Agents this is why I asked. Was not familiar at all with AFOSI or the others.
            Here you go: http://www.osi.af.mil/questions/officers/

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by service4others View Post
              I always make 1811 equivalent to Special Agent and vice versa. Completely forgot the GS is the civilian rating and they are not considered 1811s but Special Agent. Thanks because from what I know Army CID does not have Commissioned Officers that are acting Special Agents this is why I asked. Was not familiar at all with AFOSI or the others.
              Yeah, this is one of the things that is unclear to people. The designation of GS-1811 refers to the job code/description of a criminal investigator and all the rules and benefits that apply within the federal job market (http://www.opm.gov/policy-data-overs...n-series-1811/). Essentially, what are the basic parameters to hire someone under this position. Although, OSI is an expected service agency and has some flexibility (you can search the forum for that). OSI special agents (civilian/enlisted/officer) go through CITP and their specific add-on while at FLETC. Once you graduate, you are badged and credentialed as a Special Agent. This gives you the authority to conduct investigations under specific authorities for both criminal and CI interests. Does a military agent conduct investigations against civilians, yes. All agents will come into the same office learning and running/gunning together. The only real difference is civilian 1811's have the additional authority to make an arrest on a civilian just like any other 1811.

              This particular announcement is for civilian agents, so no current military members (non-OSI) will be considered under this announcement. They would have to leave the active military and apply. Now, you will see some former active duty OSI agents apply I'm sure. Just do your best and highlight your strengths.

              This job is much different from other non-military 1811 gigs, because you service the military "wherever" it goes. This means you could find yourself in Iraq, Afghanistan, and HOA supporting a mission or conducting an investigation. Some civilian agents have paid the ultimate sacrifice in Iraq and Afghanistan, so don't even try to join OSI without accepting the fact you could deploy. This isn't a given for everyone, but most OSI agents in my FLETC class who are still there have deployed. The deployment mission is a rewarding part of OSI for civilians. You have direct impact on the military mission and protect Airmen from all threats. Nothing more noble than that, right? It's a great agency that has it's negatives just like any other, but it's loaded with awesome people. The overseas jobs can take you all over the world and allow you to do some great missions.

              Here's some OSI swag for you guys, http://www.osi.af.mil/shared/media/d...140801-003.pdf
              Last edited by Agent04; 01-14-2015, 01:48 AM.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
                Forgive my ignorance, but is there anything specific about their Developmental Job Posting compared to other OSI postings? Also, must the education requirements (i.e., the superior academic achievement requirements for GS-7) be met by the closing date of the announcement?
                The developmental job posting is the standard OSI vacancy announcement when they hire larger groups of agents just like any other agency. These positions are absorbed under OSI's total budget. This is why you haven't seen one in a while since budgets have been sliced in the DoD as a whole. The PAQ (Palace Acquire) positions are under a different pot of money that belongs to big Air Force. It's akin to a 3 year internship paid for by the Air Force, but you are basically a full fledged 1811 that OSI doesn't have to pay for until the 3 years has ended. There are some benefits to this... For the agent, you get money for training that is job related. The big Air Force pays for the spot so it's a sweet gig for OSI. Confusing, yes... Not really relevant for the agents coming in under this VA.

                Yes, the requirements must be met at the closing date. They won't take anything after that date and will only accept what they receive in the package. There's just not enough manpower to attach documents for 1000's of applicants. What you provide in the package is what they see...

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Agent04 View Post
                  The developmental job posting is the standard OSI vacancy announcement when they hire larger groups of agents just like any other agency. These positions are absorbed under OSI's total budget. This is why you haven't seen one in a while since budgets have been sliced in the DoD as a whole. The PAQ (Palace Acquire) positions are under a different pot of money that belongs to big Air Force. It's akin to a 3 year internship paid for by the Air Force, but you are basically a full fledged 1811 that OSI doesn't have to pay for until the 3 years has ended. There are some benefits to this... For the agent, you get money for training that is job related. The big Air Force pays for the spot so it's a sweet gig for OSI. Confusing, yes... Not really relevant for the agents coming in under this VA.

                  Yes, the requirements must be met at the closing date. They won't take anything after that date and will only accept what they receive in the package. There's just not enough manpower to attach documents for 1000's of applicants. What you provide in the package is what they see...
                  Ah, doesn't look like I'm eligible, then. I'm a few months out from getting my bachelor's, and I don't have any military or sworn LEO experience (went straight to college from high school), so I'm not eligible for GS-7 until I get my degree. Would I be competitive judging from the very experienced people applying? Eh, probably not, but at least I'd be eligible! Maybe I'll get lucky with the PAQ announcement.

                  Anyway, thanks for your answer and for all of the other information you've provided. It's awesome to have such knowledgeable people supplying us wannabes with invaluable information.

                  Stay safe, Agent04, and good luck to all who are applying!

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Finally got all my stuff together and sent it off earlier this morning. Hopefully we'll all get hired. :-)

                    Any idea on how many positions are open?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by Pi, Esq. View Post
                      Finally got all my stuff together and sent it off earlier this morning. Hopefully we'll all get hired. :-)

                      Any idea on how many positions are open?
                      I sent my in this morning as well........hoping for a shot at an interview if feasible.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by Det_sje View Post
                        I sent my in this morning as well........hoping for a shot at an interview if feasible.
                        Good luck... so long as they are hiring more than one person. :-)

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Pi, Esq. View Post
                          Good luck... so long as they are hiring more than one person. :-)
                          I believe they will hire more than one, but I think they are going to be very picky/selective as of who makes it to an interview.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Det_sje View Post
                            I believe they will hire more than one, but I think they are going to be very picky/selective as of who makes it to an interview.
                            That's why I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
                            "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Det_sje View Post
                              I believe they will hire more than one, but I think they are going to be very picky/selective as of who makes it to an interview.
                              I'm hoping that because this is a "developmental" vacancy, I won't be penalized for not having sworn law enforcement experience. Good luck, Det_sje.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                I just hope that non-vet are given the slightest bit of consideration.

                                Comment

                                MR300x250 Tablet

                                Collapse

                                What's Going On

                                Collapse

                                There are currently 10366 users online. 383 members and 9983 guests.

                                Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

                                Welcome Ad

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X