300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dec2014 DEA Diversion Investigator

Anybody else here throw their hat in the ring for this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Originally posted by texengland View Post

You know I did. :-)

Comment

I did.

Comment

Originally posted by Pi, Esq. View Post
        You know I did. :-)
        Haha, that questionnaire seemed a little specific for a GS09 spot

Comment

Deleted post
          Last edited by FTRSA; 01-30-2016, 01:45 PM. Reason: Deleted post

Comment

Haha, that questionnaire seemed a little specific for a GS09 spot

Yeah. But, I figure that an investigator position is better than none. Plus, I'm not exactly sure my experience will qualify at the 11 level.

Comment

Originally posted by FTRSA View Post
              Former DI here. Non-Leo. Work weekdays, admin and inspections work. It can get very technical. Unlike most agencies, DEA doesn't like to auto promote to 13. You gotta submit a "love me packet" to be considered for a 13.

academy can be difficult, as it's more technical then the agent training. 90% of my class had a graduate degree, minimal LE experience.
              I know it is frowned upon, but do you think taking a job like this will have any positive impact on one's ability to get an 1811 gig? This job actually seems really enjoyable and mentally stimulating, so I'd be fine if this were a final resting spot, but I would, ultimately, like an 1811 gig. Did you get a sense that most of your DI colleagues were using it as a stepping stone, or that it is an effective stepping stone?

Comment

I'd start at a 9 just to get in the GS system and by my AD time back. Its a drastic pay cut but worth it in the long run.
                FTRSA is this job an automatic GS12?

Comment

deleted post
                  Last edited by FTRSA; 01-30-2016, 01:43 PM. Reason: Deleted post

Comment

Originally posted by FTRSA View Post
                    Most of my coworkers were either in their 2nd career or have worked many many years.

I've only seen a few actually make a 1811 slot for the DEA or another agency. When I say a few, I mean 2 or 3 DI's over the course of my stay with the agency. The division hasn't been the main focus of the agency, but lately there has been a resurgence.

To answer your question, I'm a current 1811, and my experience as a DI helped in part, but it was my previous experience in LE and graduate school that got me in.
                    Let me ask the question this way: were the investigations you undertook as a DI similar, if only tangentially, to the investigations you do as an 1811? I have no sworn LE experience (I have prosecutorial experience and civil fraud investigation experience) and I believe that having some criminal investigation experience will greatly improve my chances of snagging an 1811 gig.

Comment

Did this announcement come and go already?

Comment

Originally posted by empique View Post
                        Did this announcement come and go already?
                        Open until Jan 16, 2015, but it is a status candidate position only. So, you may not see it in USAJOBS if your profile isn't setup to status candidate openings.

Comment

deleted post
                          Last edited by FTRSA; 01-30-2016, 01:44 PM. Reason: Deleted post

Comment

Wonder if someone has previously completed BDIT and left the Diversion family, would you have to go back through Quantico if re-hired??

Former DI here too, my recommendation is not to try to use this as a stepping stone from DI to SA within DEA. In my opinion it was frowned upon. This is a core series position that is mission critical in today's drug climate. They really want folks who are going to stick around and learn the job, as it is highly technical. You will be a subject matter expert and agents and other federal officials will look to you for guidance.

As far as criminal vs regulatory cases, it can all depend on your office. If you are in a DO, RO or POD you could potentially work a lot more criminal cases. If you are in the Division Office (Washington Field Division, Atlanta Field Division, etc.), you can kiss criminal cases goodbye and concentrate strictly on regulatory. Any criminal aspect will be turned over to an SA or the TDS. FTRSA, not sure where you were assigned, but would you agree?

As far as education, I don't think anyone in my academy had anything less that a Masters Degree. Several had JDs. There was a good mix of prior law enforcement and many from other walks of life. You will go to Quantico for training and you will be treated like anyone else in an academy. You'll have to request leave to go home on the weekends.

This really is a good gig. If you want to kick in doors and have a high speed job, look elsewhere. That is not anything close to what you will be doing. Most of your days will be spent in an office typing EXTENSIVE reports. I will say that I got to travel a lot throughout the state I was assigned on the government's dime. Stress level, in my opinion, is next to zero. Many DIs get take home cars; however, they are not required to get them and it is totally dependent on your office and the SAC you report to. Of course this could have changed since I was there.
                            Last edited by cuffs309; 12-31-2014, 11:19 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Comment

deleted post
                              Last edited by FTRSA; 01-30-2016, 01:42 PM. Reason: Deleted post

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6221 users online. 327 members and 5894 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X