Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can i become a good candidate to become a Deputy U.S. Marshals?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the next USMS opening I'll be applying. Marine vet with a bachelors and usms internship. By the time I get looked at I should have ~2yrs local LEO exp as well.

*fingers crossed*

I know I was being smug about rolling the dice earlier, but it up to you to make choices that will ultimately get you in the right position to apply. Create a great resume and hope the funding is there when you're ready to make the jump.

Comment

So shouldn't i try and aim for military police? to have both the Law enforcement experience and military experience?

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan.117 View Post
        So shouldn't i try and aim for military police? to have both the Law enforcement experience and military experience?
        If you decide to join the military, make sure it is something that you want to do and something that you would want to do even if you are never hired on as a federal agent. Also, do your research on what it is like to be a Military Police officer. Some of the guys that I knew who were MP's hated their jobs and were miserable their entire enlistment, especially those who were never able to deploy. Due to the draw down, your average job duties will most likely be checking ID's at the gates, patrolling speeders on base (pulling over your fellow service members going 20mph in a 15mph) and transporting those from the brig to their court dates. Of course, I am giving information that I received from MP's that were in the Marines, so other branches may vary. If you enlist, as opposed to commission, I would look into jobs that will give you an advantage in both federal jobs and civilian jobs, i.e. finance, admin, linguistics, maybe intelligence, etc. This way, you can work a somewhat regular schedule and knock out some college classes while gaining work experience. Whatever you do, just make sure you do your research before you sign any papers.

Comment

I really am in the same boat as you man. The DUSM would be a dream job. All the research I have done, has pointed this to be my dream career. However, I have been told you don't 100% know an agency until you are in. I really suggested getting your bachelors and interning with the USMS. I begin my internship Jan 20th (counting the minutes). From reading info from some of the guys on this site, I suggest getting your degree in something you enjoy, join the military (for the right reasons, not as a resume booster) keep out of trouble, and be honest. Good luck to you ! Hope to see all deserving applicants on the other side of that FLETC dining hall in the future !!!!

Comment

just an additional question, should i go straight into law enforcement such as NYPD or join the military first through ROTC and then join a law enforcement agency?

*my dream goal is to become a Deputy U.S. Marshals, and hopefully be able to join their tactical operation Unit***

Any information would be extremely helpful
            Im not going to go through this entire thread and read all the responses, so this may have been stated in some form already, but....If your question is should i go to NYPD (or similar) or military in order to get into the Marshals, then my response will be... if you want to be a COP, dont go into the military to do an unknown job....BE A COP. Being a cop isnt a job, its a way of life and a calling, so if you have a calling to be a cop, BE A COP, not a xxxx in order to MAYBE one day be a Marshal.

On an aside......being a cop will be far more fulfilling to you than being a Marshal. A marshal is an overated job, and 90 % of the Marshals do not do the kind of work you see on TV.
            USMS Region 3
            Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
            Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
            Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
            BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
            Medical:2/15/10
            MedicalReview: 4/15/10
            FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
            Drug: 6/5/10
            Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
            Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
            Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
            Written: 12/27/10
            NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
            To:
            Medical:

Comment

Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
              On an aside......being a cop will be far more fulfilling to you than being a Marshal. A marshal is an overated job, and 90 % of the Marshals do not do the kind of work you see on TV.
              Listen to this guy; his is the voice of experience.

Marshal:
              verb
              arrange or assemble (a group of people, especially soldiers) in order.
              "the general marshaled his troops"
              synonyms: assemble, gather (together), collect, muster, call together, draw up, line up, align, array, organize, group, arrange, deploy, position, order, dispose; More

DUSMs marshal people to stand trial before the court. The job description is literally in the name.
              I too am a DUSM hopeful, but urge you to go into this process knowing what you will and will not be doing. You will be transporting prisoners and sitting in court. You will not be out investigating Boyd Crowder's Oxycontin trafficking in Harlan County

Comment

Originally posted by saone View Post
                You will not be out investigating Boyd Crowder's Oxycontin trafficking in Harlan County

CLASSIC lol. Love the justified and tommy jones references in some of these USMS threads..

Comment

It depends on what you want...do you want to look better on paper or do you want to BE better?

Going into the military and being military police will "check the boxes" for you to get into the Marshals...but you won't know ****. I mean absolutely no disrespect to military LEO's, but the military LEO job and the civilian LEO job couldn't be more different.

If you want to check boxes and join the marshals, fine. You want to know how to BE A COP, whether you join the marshals eventually or not...be a cop. Best case scenario? Be a cop, join an agency that participates in Usms fugitive task forces, join a swat team, get some experience, try to get on a task force as a TFO. You will then be a cop and can change assignments when you want to, you will make federally reimbursed overtime, and you'll be doing the job most Marshals got into the service to do in the first place, but don't get to.
                  USMS Region 3

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                  To:
                  Medical:

Comment

Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
                    It depends on what you want...do you want to look better on paper or do you want to BE better?

Going into the military and being military police will "check the boxes" for you to get into the Marshals...but you won't know ****. I mean absolutely no disrespect to military LEO's, but the military LEO job and the civilian LEO job couldn't be more different.

If you want to check boxes and join the marshals, fine. You want to know how to BE A COP, whether you join the marshals eventually or not...be a cop. Best case scenario? Be a cop, join an agency that participates in Usms fugitive task forces, join a swat team, get some experience, try to get on a task force as a TFO. You will then be a cop and can change assignments when you want to, you will make federally reimbursed overtime, and you'll be doing the job most Marshals got into the service to do in the first place, but don't get to.
                    Maybe it was different for the marshals that I spoke to, as they were from a smaller district, but they were not stuck in court all the time. They say DC Superior Court is bad because it's all court all the time, especially the first 3 years on the job. The smaller districts though are different.
                    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                      Maybe it was different for the marshals that I spoke to, as they were from a smaller district, but they were not stuck in court all the time. They say DC Superior Court is bad because it's all court all the time, especially the first 3 years on the job. The smaller districts though are different.
                      Yes, there is truth in this statement, however....it's one big roulette wheel.
                      USMS Region 3

To:
                      Medical:

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8502 users online. 337 members and 8165 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X