Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can i become a good candidate to become a Deputy U.S. Marshals?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can i become a good candidate to become a Deputy U.S. Marshals?

just an additional question, should i go straight into law enforcement such as NYPD or join the military first through ROTC and then join a law enforcement agency?

*my dream goal is to become a Deputy U.S. Marshals, and hopefully be able to join their tactical operation Unit***

Any information would be extremely helpful

Originally posted by Spartan.117 View Post
    just an additional question, should i go straight into law enforcement such as NYPD or join the military first through ROTC and then join a law enforcement agency?

*my dream goal is to become a Deputy U.S. Marshals, and hopefully be able to join their tactical operation Unit***

Any information would be extremely helpful
    Start by learning proper grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. Written reports are extremely important for 1811 jobs.

Comment

Well, if you don't have military, don't bother applying. They wont even consider you if you aren't a vet. I learned this from applying in 2012. NCIS is the same way.

Comment

Agreed

Originally posted by scott50 View Post
        Well, if you don't have military, don't bother applying. They wont even consider you if you aren't a vet. I learned this from applying in 2012. NCIS is the same way.

Scott50 has made a very good point. Beginning on a time unknown, and continuing to about December 2010, a lot of the 1811 positions were hired under the "FCIP" (Federal Career Intern Program), which subsequently circumvented the current federal laws with military preferential treatment. Long story short, the U.S. government got sued and the FCIP hiring authority, and every applicant that wasn't on payroll, got metaphorically flushed down the toilet and all the agencies had to rebulletin their jobs postings for 1811.

On a side note, I was lucky enough to get brought only in december 2010 as the second to last class hired by HSI under this hiring authority.

Post FCIP, it is extremely difficult to get hired as a non-vet if not impossible to be quite honest. The primary reason for this that there were will always be minimally qualified military vets (who have preferential treatment) for the amount of positions the agencies are hiring.

So with that being said, there are several options because of your age. You can either enlist in the military or find a internship program that is offered by almost all of the 1811 agencies, aka "co-ops".

My only other recommendation is I know your "dream job" is with the USMS, but I would not limit yourself to just the USMS. The biggest hurdle is becoming an 1811, getting several years on as experience, then if you aren't satisfied explore other options about finding the agency that is a right fit for you.

Ona third note, your dream job and dream position is one of the most competitive and difficult to get with the USMS, along with the fugitive ops guys. Depending your field office (assuming you get hired) more likely than not you will be riding the pine bench at court for anywhere from 3-7 year before you even get out on fugitive ops.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by scott50 View Post
          I know several former (non-vet) co-workers to recently get hired with NCIS.
          They were current fed Leo's though.
          Good luck young dude/gal. These jobs are very hard to get, just apply and don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Comment

Here is what I would suggest. Throw out any idea you have of a single specific job within federal law enforcement. I made that mistake a very long time ago with the DEA, and it just did not work out. I would still be sitting on the outside looking in had I not just decided to use the shotgun method and apply for literally every federal law enforcement position available.
            Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Originally posted by chadliey View Post
              Scott50 has made a very good point. Beginning on a time unknown, and continuing to about December 2010, a lot of the 1811 positions were hired under the "FCIP" (Federal Career Intern Program), which subsequently circumvented the current federal laws with military preferential treatment. Long story short, the U.S. government got sued and the FCIP hiring authority, and every applicant that wasn't on payroll, got metaphorically flushed down the toilet and all the agencies had to rebulletin their jobs postings for 1811.

On a side note, I was lucky enough to get brought only in december 2010 as the second to last class hired by HSI under this hiring authority.

Post FCIP, it is extremely difficult to get hired as a non-vet if not impossible to be quite honest. The primary reason for this that there were will always be minimally qualified military vets (who have preferential treatment) for the amount of positions the agencies are hiring.
              I really wish FCIP was still a thing. At least on a smaller level. I know it kind of is in very limited circumstances, but it's pretty unheard of nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
                I really wish FCIP was still a thing. At least on a smaller level. I know it kind of is in very limited circumstances, but it's pretty unheard of nowadays.
                FCIP sucked. A lot of agencies misused it to circumvent any actual hiring process. HSI was one of those agencies. I remember being unable to get a PIN so I could apply. That was a very long time ago, and it still ****es me off to this day. It not only excluded vets, but darn near everyone else except for a chosen few who either got lucky or knew someone on the inside. Border Patrol used FCIP to hire, but still followed all other hiring rules exactly. They still posted the job to usajobs, they still gave vets extra points on the test, and they were as fair as possible. That is why of all the agencies who used FCIP, Border Patrol was almost the only one that didn't have to completely throw out their hiring list. I was hired under FCIP with Border Patrol.
                Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

The military route is one you better think long and hard about. Don't go willy nilly into that decision.

Prior LE is also important, but not a deal breaker. It depends on what you can offer as a "package".

You could also get an admin or DEO/AEO spot and then get hired as a 1811 internally. I know many DEOs who went on to be 1811s.

I don't think veterans preference will be going away anytime in the foreseeable future as others have mentioned what happened with FCIP.

But when there is a will there is a way.

Comment

Oh and as far as getting on SOG, 1st get into the agency. Have short and long term goals, but also plan A, B and C.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                      FCIP sucked. A lot of agencies misused it to circumvent any actual hiring process. HSI was one of those agencies. I remember being unable to get a PIN so I could apply. That was a very long time ago, and it still ****es me off to this day. It not only excluded vets, but darn near everyone else except for a chosen few who either got lucky or knew someone on the inside. Border Patrol used FCIP to hire, but still followed all other hiring rules exactly. They still posted the job to usajobs, they still gave vets extra points on the test, and they were as fair as possible. That is why of all the agencies who used FCIP, Border Patrol was almost the only one that didn't have to completely throw out their hiring list. I was hired under FCIP with Border Patrol.
                      Perhaps they could have something similar to FCIP in addition to regular hiring practices. Something to target inexperienced college students to supplement the other hiring methods. Vets still get their way and fresh college grads still get a shot and can compete with people more in their immediate experience range.

Comment

Roll the dice like the rest of us.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost2Apathy View Post
                          Roll the dice like the rest of us.
                          There is a surprising amount of truth to this. The fed hiring process really is a crap shoot. You can try to make yourself as competitive as possible, and still not end up being hired.

Comment

Originally posted by aspiring_fed View Post
                            Perhaps they could have something similar to FCIP in addition to regular hiring practices. Something to target inexperienced college students to supplement the other hiring methods. Vets still get their way and fresh college grads still get a shot and can compete with people more in their immediate experience range.
                            HSI still uses the intern program for newer college graduates. Of course vets still get preference in that as well, but it does open the door for fresh college grads.

The truth is that very few 1811 positions are hiring people straight out of college unless they bring some unique skills and abilities to the table. For example certain language or computer skills. These are very competitive positions, and many people with extremely impressive resumes are applying for these positions. Many of the candidates are older, having worked in other careers for 10+ years.

I know it sucks for the younger guys, but think of it this way, you have plenty of time to build a resume that is extremely impressive. When I was a fresh college grad, I would have loved to have been hired straight out of school to be an 1811. Instead I went to work at the local sheriff's office as a deputy. After 5 years of doing that I became a Border Patrol Agent, and while here earned my Masters degree and learned to speak Spanish (thanks in large part to my girlfriend). Now I finally am moving along in some of these hiring processes.

Be patient, and keep working on improving yourself. You may get lucky and be hired soon, or it could be 10 years from now, there is no way of knowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
                              HSI still uses the intern program for newer college graduates. Of course vets still get preference in that as well, but it does open the door for fresh college grads.

The truth is that very few 1811 positions are hiring people straight out of college unless they bring some unique skills and abilities to the table. For example certain language or computer skills. These are very competitive positions, and many people with extremely impressive resumes are applying for these positions. Many of the candidates are older, having worked in other careers for 10+ years.

I know it sucks for the younger guys, but think of it this way, you have plenty of time to build a resume that is extremely impressive. When I was a fresh college grad, I would have loved to have been hired straight out of school to be an 1811. Instead I went to work at the local sheriff's office as a deputy. After 5 years of doing that I became a Border Patrol Agent, and while here earned my Masters degree and learned to speak Spanish (thanks in large part to my girlfriend). Now I finally am moving along in some of these hiring processes.

Be patient, and keep working on improving yourself. You may get lucky and be hired soon, or it could be 10 years from now, there is no way of knowing.
                              I agree. For what it's worth, I have been successful in "moving" in multiple FED 1811 hiring processes the last few yrs with Fed work experience, a bachelors, and FED LEO experience. That is MUCH LESS than many have. I have no local LEO or military.

Just my opinion, but I feel like if you have non 1811 govt LEO experience plus a degree it helps a lot.

For whatever reason the HR managers seem to like it over patrol cops with degrees (This is from what I have seen. Even if I don't necessarily believe I've seen more or am more qualified). Maybe it's easier to compare pay grades or work experience for current non 1811 govt LEOs to determine their qualifications vs. local LEOs because they are already "in the system". By non 1811 I mean BP, USSS-UD, Capitol police, FAMS, etc.
                              BP seems to help ALOT, as it may also help you add a language to your resume in Spanish (though I have heard you aren't completly fluent).

Those jobs seem a little easier to get hired by and while some on here will tell you they don't guarentee you a 1811 gig, from MY experience if you combine them with a degree you will at least move past the "qualification" phase.

I also have seen and believe military plus a degree will move you past qualifications phase as well.

There is no magic formula. But those things tend to help from what I have seen.

Also, (despite what many say on here) it seems once you are past the qualification phase your resume largely goes out the window (unless you have Vet preference).
                              My point is if I am going up against a high speed Ex SWAT member with a doctorate, once we get past the initial qualifaction phase, (as long as we continue to pass each phase) we both would ultimately be hired regardless of our experience.

Yes some of these agencies have "hiring panels" that ultimately re rank people at the end. However, I still think you have a good shot once you are past the initial "weeding out phase" even if you are grouped in with people much more qualified with you.

When I got to FLETC, my group was NOT all high speed SEAL vets. That alone is proof resume only gets you so far.

Another thing that confuses a lot of applicants is what to get a degree in. Again from MY experience, for most 1811 jobs (besides the FBI and maybe the IRS), they don't care what the degree is in as long as they can check off the box.

Even after all this, it is no guarantee. These are simply pointers from my experience. You still could have your application lost in the shuffle, fail a panel Interview, PT test, poly, etc.

These tips may help you get passed qualifactions phase but after that it's up to you to get hired (most of time, barring crazy govt hiring freezes, budget cuts, etc.) by checking on your app every few months and Being in shape and prepared.
                              Last edited by DaShwstoppahbk; 01-05-2015, 01:20 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7967 users online. 406 members and 7561 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X