• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nypd

I

Try this thread:

http://forums.officer.com/forums/sho...threadid=19212

Any particular reason why you want to join NYPD?

Comment

You shouldn't limited yourself only to NYPD. I have almost 4 years with them and 'am looking at other departments throughout the country. First thing the pay isn't very good at all. All the surrounding counties (nassau, suffolk, westchester and NY state police) do very well with less appearances. Our chart stinks 5 days on then 2 days off one week and the following week would be 5 days on followed by 3 days off. Most other dept have 4 days on with 3 days off. Our pay is about 55,000 top pay while most other departments make at least 20,000 more than nypd. Just keep your options open. If anything you could take the experience from nypd elsewhere and make more money.

Comment

alright, i'll keep that in mind. I guess the reason i want to work in NY is because i still have a little attachment since 9/11 and being in the military. I'll look into other departments. Anyone have any thaughts on what kind of departments for an officer new to the civilian side of things?

Comment

Just about every department likes former members of the military, so your question is way too broad.

Where do you want to live? What size city do you want to police? For that matter, do you want to work for a municipal, county, or state agency? What are your future career goals?

Your answers to these questions will help narrow the list down.

Comment

At the moment, thats what i do not know. What i know from talking to people is that id probobly wand to work state, eg; Highway patrol. Or something along those lines. But untill now i've never worked with any civilian law enforcement, i dont really know what im looking for. If i could get some information on the differnaces between those the types of jobs (listed above) that would be great. Thanks.

Comment

Well you are going to have to narrow it down just a bit. Maybe start with the state that you plan to move to when you get home
              Deputy Brandy L. Winfield
              RIP - October 14, 2004

www.ar15armory.com

Comment

Looks like you have some research to do. There is a huge difference between being a state trooper and a patrolman for NYPD. I know a few guys with the latter agency and they hate it, too big, too low paid, not respected (even since 911), most are trying to leave. An ex-NYPD officer who just joined my dept said it was a nightmare. Highway Patrol/State Police agencies I know of which encourage military types include Mass.SP, California HP and NJSP.
                It is not the critic who counts...

Comment

Last edited by Invisiblecop; 12-12-2003, 07:04 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10325 users online. 491 members and 9834 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X