300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marine Corps Civilian Police Officer

Anyone doing this job now or have any experience with it?

I applied for an opening recently and just got an email that I was "referred to the selecting official for consideration"

The email came with nearly 50 pages of paperwork to fill out such as BI info, PT reqs, uniform regs, and much more.
    It seems like it should be a pretty nice entry level gig, I just don't have any additional information on it outside of the USAjobs announcement.

Thanks!
    War of attrition

As with most 0083 gigs, it's not 6c/12d covered, which means no 20 yr. LE retirement. You would have to do 30 yrs. to get the full retirement just like non-LE gov't workers.

The position itself is primarily entry control. I think after two years you get to transition to patrol.

I never worked in the position but I applied for it in the past, went through the process, and talked to some officers.

Comment

Originally posted by hangman View Post
      As with most 0083 gigs, it's not 6c/12d covered, which means no 20 yr. LE retirement. You would have to do 30 yrs. to get the full retirement just like non-LE gov't workers.

The position itself is primarily entry control. I think after two years you get to transition to patrol.

I never worked in the position but I applied for it in the past, went through the process, and talked to some officers.
      So, Im not very familiar with the retirement systems and all.
      Is this a job that will "stop the clock"?
      Im 32 and want to stop the clock before hitting the cutoff for 1811 posts but; at the same time I need a job regardless and working in any LEO capacity is a plus, given my long term goals.

Thanks!
      War of attrition

Comment

No, the job doesn't stop the "clock". Only 6c/12d gigs stop the clock.

If you are a 5pt or 10 pt veteran, you don't have to worry about stopping the clock. A court case was decided that said the age 37 limit doesn't apply to people with veterans preference...

Comment

If you are a 5pt or 10 pt veteran, you don't have to worry about stopping the clock. A court case was decided that said the age 37 limit doesn't apply to people with veterans preference...
          Wow thats great!
          Do you have a source for that? I know a bunch of us are dreading the "clock".
          Ive even been thinking to go back to college for my MBA/Phd until something works out but Ive been fearing the clock.

If I don't have to worry about that, it takes a hell of a load off!
          I have 5 pts vet pref.
          War of attrition

Comment

If you read some hiring announcements on USAJOBS, like the NCIS one, it will specifically say that.

Comment

I have about six years of experience with MCCLEP, our base rarely uses police on the gates, that is usually a Marines post. We've been hoping for 6c etc, but it may be a while. Its not a bad gig, depending on what base and what your expectations are.

Comment

Job is going to vary widely based upon where you work. Most bases are entry control only but some of the bigger ones have patrol opportunities; I strongly advise staying away from Lejeune.

Comment

The posting is for the Marine base in New Orleans, LA. I live in the area currently.
                  I have my interview (panel, over the phone) in the morning.

The hiring manager said there are about 30 applicants and they are filling 9 openings.
                  Im prior mil, leo, 2 degrees, so Im looking for a jumpstart into the fed "bubble" and to put some coin in my pocket.
                  War of attrition

Comment

Any update? how did it go with the Marine Police Job you still in the running? I am considering the same job and was wondering about the length of the process.

Comment

This isn't 100% true. If you start a 6c job as a veteran after age 36, you have to get a waiver, and these waivers are not automatic. If you then leave for another 6c job, you have to get another waiver, which makes it harder to transfer. I have not personally met any agents hired after age 36, although I've heard of one or two. Even with the Isabella decision, it's still not easy for veterans to get hired after 37.

Comment

Originally posted by Ofc D402 View Post
                        Any update? how did it go with the Marine Police Job you still in the running? I am considering the same job and was wondering about the length of the process.
                        Where are you applying for?
                        My process has gone pretty quickly so far.
                        I applied and about 2 weeks later got referred and a week after that got emailed with a COE, had a phone interview about two weeks ago and got sent an email with access to the Oboarding Manager (this is where you fill out W2, direct deposit etc.)

I talked with the HR guy and we are supposed to be setting up the PT and the psych questionnaire sometime really soon/
                        So basically I applied on 11-18-2014 and I've been through about 1/4th the process.

Keep us posted on your progress.
                        Im in New Orleans and I know they said they were looking for 9 people and had about 30 applicants for the NOV14 posting.
                        War of attrition

Comment

So we applicants for the recent New Orleans posting are having the PFT and psych eval this coming Thursday, JAN22.
                          Anyone else out there going?
                          War of attrition

Comment

BTW is this job POST certified?
                            I did see where it said FLETA but, is that comparable to POST????

AND

Is it accepted as just as good as POST?
                            I know POST is big for moving your career in any meaningful direction in the LE world.
                            I don't want to put in any amount of significant time at a place where Im stuck because I have FLETA and it counts for nothing….
                            War of attrition

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
                              BTW is this job POST certified?
                              I did see where it said FLETA but, is that comparable to POST????

AND

Is it accepted as just as good as POST?
                              I know POST is big for moving your career in any meaningful direction in the LE world.
                              I don't want to put in any amount of significant time at a place where Im stuck because I have FLETA and it counts for nothing….

POST as in whatever state standards? No.

DoD training as a whole would need to be applied at whatever state you're looking at and see if they would accept the academy training for standards. Alot of states will not accept federal training.
                              I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3203 users online. 183 members and 3020 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X