300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sheepdog4297 View Post
    don't get me wrong, I love patrol. It's just that I wanna make a larger impact with my work u know. I want to know that my work pays off instead of giving some turd a few days I jail for a little Baggie of dope. Then sooner or later u realize ur seeing the same faces over and over. Doing the same crimes as they did before. I know Youre not supposed to take it personal, but it definately takes a toll on you..
    I don't think going federal is going to solve your dilemma.

Comment

Originally posted by jtl323 View Post
      I understand where you're coming from, this was the mistake I made. I falsely assumed that in order to make a difference I needed to go lock up murderers rapists and terrorists. That makes sense, except for one thing… you may not get to arrest murderers rapists and terrorists. As I said, maybe only 10% of the marshals go after the worst of the worst, those marshals on the task forces that focus on state and local warrants. Do you want to know what the rest of the marshals service wants consist of?
      Probation violations, pretrial violations, white collar tax fraud, and some other silly silly ****.

My days on patrol, whether I was saving someone from a burning car, rescuing a child from a horrible domestic situation, or locking up three guys on a traffic stop on a rolling meth lab, those truly were days that I could go home at the end of the shift, look myself in the mirror, and know that the world was a slightly better place, even if it only lasted until the beginning of the next shift when they all got back out of jail. Seven **** bags in jail for 12 hours is mathematically better than one TurboTax fraud guy Who is also going to bond out. The pot of gold at the end of the rainbow does exist as far as marshals service top fugitive Hunting.... But it's rare. If everyone found the pot of gold, the leprechauns would not have anything left.

The next time you chase down a shoplifter, or return a stolen purse to an elderly woman, or help a kid who's frisbee got stuck in the sewer drain, do me a favor… ask one of those people whether or not you made a difference to them that day. I'll bet the answer will surprise you.
      After so long, that stuff is boring and repetitive. Putting your life on the line daily for $35,000/year. If the only reason a person takes a job is the action, they will almost always be disappointed. Watching television, you would think the Border Patrol has an exciting job, but the reality is that it is long, tedious, and boring the overwhelming majority of the time.

I even look back at my time as a Deputy Sheriff, and realize that for every bit of "action" that I had, I also experienced the horribly tedious and boring parts (working the jails, court duty, etc.)

The problem is that people watch too much tv and think that it is a reflection of real life.
      Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Wesker View Post
        After so long, that stuff is boring and repetitive. Putting your life on the line daily for $35,000/year. If the only reason a person takes a job is the action, they will almost always be disappointed. Watching television, you would think the Border Patrol has an exciting job, but the reality is that it is long, tedious, and boring the overwhelming majority of the time.

I even look back at my time as a Deputy Sheriff, and realize that for every bit of "action" that I had, I also experienced the horribly tedious and boring parts (working the jails, court duty, etc.)

The problem is that people watch too much tv and think that it is a reflection of real life.
        .... To me there isn't much difference in putting my life on the line for $35k or $100k. If the time comes to cash in the chips, I don't get to play the game anymore, so it doesn't matter what salary they write on my tombstone. It's what you live for and accomplish that tells the story of your life's worth, not dying in a shoot out for welfare wages versus middle class earnings.

My only reason for taking the money over job satisfaction is an obligation to children and a wife that needed a better quality of life. Otherwise, if I had been single....how many times have you heard a cop say " i would do this job for free if I had to "?
        I used to say it. I said if I won the lottery I would keep working, albeit maybe not 90 hrs a week. Now? If I win the lottery I will email them the location they can pick up their car and all my gear will be inside it....
        USMS Region 3
        Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
        Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
        Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
        BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
        Medical:2/15/10
        MedicalReview: 4/15/10
        FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
        Drug: 6/5/10
        Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
        Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
        Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
        Written: 12/27/10
        NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
        To:
        Medical:

Comment

Just wanted to get some of your opinions on a dilemma I'm having. I've been a LEO for a few years now and I love my job. I'm only 24 and I feel like I want more out of my career. By no means am I saying a know everything about the job or anything like that though. I was just thinking about applying with the DEA or US Marshals once I get a chance. I only have an AA degree, but I've recently been added onto our SWAT team. My credentials aren't as highlighted as others, but I'd still appreciate any feedback and/or advice u guys can give.

Thanks guys, stay safe out there.
          While, I myself have applied to Fed gigs, (I have been made final offers 4x) I have turned them down. I like to keep my options open but the only benefit I really see is the pay. (depending on your dept) I have a close family member and many friends and co-workers who went fed. About 50% came back due to hating the job, not as fun, not as much action, too political etc. My family member can't come back due to pay but hates life now and tells me to never make the jump. So do your due diligence and find out all aspects of the job before you regret it.

Comment

Career Advice

I found out a number of years ago, when I went into investigations, that I really didn't like moping around the office all day. Granted, my investigations slot was pretty routine, so someone on a drug task force would have a very different experience. While it probably seems a bit too simplistic, I like being out and about in a vehicle. It could be a squad car, or an unmarked car, a boat , snowmobile, or whatever, but I like being out and about.

Comment

I've spoken to a few agents from multiple agencies and I'm leaning towards on joining the DEA. I'm enrolled to go back to school to finish my bachelors. I really appreciate everyone's input so far. I'm still having some doubts about leaving the streets, but I know I've got plenty of time to make myself more "marketable", at least on paper that is. I'm gonna put in for Narcs and I'll see how it goes.

Comment

5 or more years of experience and a bachelor's degree makes you a lot more competitive than you are now. Just saying.

Comment

I'm only 24 and I feel like I want more out of my career. By no means am I saying a know everything about the job or anything like that though. I was just thinking about applying with the DEA or US Marshals once I get a chance.
                  So, you want more but decide you should join the feds? Ummmm, I'm confused...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Get 10-6 View Post
                    So, you want more but decide you should join the feds? Ummmm, I'm confused...

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
                    I don't mean to sound rude, but what part were you confused about? I know there's a lot to be done at the local level, but I want to make a difference on a larger scale. Sounds cheesy I know, but it is what it is. Oh and btw, u guys are more than welcome to pm me if u have any further suggestions or info u don't mecessarily want on the thread. Thanks

Comment

I don't mean to sound rude, but what part were you confused about? I know there's a lot to be done at the local level, but I want to make a difference on a larger scale. Sounds cheesy I know, but it is what it is. Oh and btw, u guys are more than welcome to pm me if u have any further suggestions or info u don't mecessarily want on the thread. Thanks
                      What i would personnally suggest is, talk to your Chief or Sheriff and see what you can do about getting assigned to a HIDTA drug task force or a USMS led Fugitive task force as a local task force officer. If your agency doesnt participate in these yet....you can be the one to talk him into participating. This will not only get you great experience...but some really attractive overtime also. It will make you more marketable if and when you decide to pursue the federal path. TFO's usually have a lot more fun than the actual agents or Marshals, as they get to do all the fun stuff and skip the tedious stuff.
                      USMS Region 3
                      Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                      Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                      Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                      BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                      Medical:2/15/10
                      MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                      FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                      Drug: 6/5/10
                      Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                      Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                      Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                      Written: 12/27/10
                      NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                      To:
                      Medical:

Comment

I don't mean to sound rude, but what part were you confused about?
                        Well I was somewhat being sarcastic. However, I don't see how being a paper pusher at the Federal level is making a bigger difference. Every dealing I've had with Federal law enforcement has been after the fact. They just do the paperwork, take the credit, or pick up their guy from my jail. To me local is where the difference is made. Local is where the police work is done. As others have said very few Federal guys even do enforcement actions. My opinion if you want to make a difference do your job to the best of your ability and put in to be an SRO

Comment

I'd highly recommend taking a few English composition classes while you're back in school. There are a handful of posters here who appear in just about every 1811 thread, year after year, always getting rejected. A pattern I noticed was a consistent inability to form grammatically correct complex sentences. Many agencies have a writing exercise as part of the testing process, and a weakness in this area will set you back significantly against other competition. Of all the things I can think of to prepare, improving English skills probably has the greatest payback relative to time investment.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10921 users online. 470 members and 10451 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X