Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What makes you a more competitive applicant?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes you a more competitive applicant?

What would make me a more competitive police applicant? Other than military are there any certifications I should obtain?

Assuming a dept doesn't require you to be certified to apply, certs don't mean anything. Assuming you tested well enough to move on in the process, do you leave people with the impression that you are mature, are you personable, do you have a college degree, do you speak a foreign language that is useful for the area you are in?

Comment

Well i'd say for the FBI getting one of those degrees, languages, or experience would be key. Also maturity, acting and looking with a professional demeanor is probably key. Take this with a grain of salt as I still have more to progress in the selection process and do not work on their recruiting/HR department.

Comment

Originally posted by kip42 View Post
        What would make me a more competitive police applicant? Other than military are there any certifications I should obtain?
        Since this is the G, the top 5 things that make you a competitive applicant are:

1) who you know
        2) who you know
        3) who you know
        4) meeting the minimum qualifications
        5) who you know

Not to sound jaded, but it's very important to make contacts if you want to have a fighting chance at many federal positions.

Comment

Originally posted by fnu_lnu View Post
          Since this is the G, the top 5 things that make you a competitive applicant are:

1) who you know
          2) who you know
          3) who you know
          4) meeting the minimum qualifications
          5) who you know

Not to sound jaded, but it's very important to make contacts if you want to have a fighting chance at many federal positions.
          If you're talking about 1811, it's not so much. If you're talking GS, then this is probably true. You sound really jaded.

Comment

Originally posted by Ibuprofen3 View Post
            If you're talking about 1811, it's not so much. If you're talking GS, then this is probably true. You sound really jaded.
            This may not be true for the big 1811 shops, but if you want into a smaller unit, it sure helps to know someone. With the caveat being that you still need to get through USAjobs and the HR screen.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

Comment

Driving up in a used cop car, aviator mirrored sunglasses worn indoors. Tight suits with a see-through dress shirt and neck tie of a color not found in nature which bears both stains and wrinkles. Tattoos galore which convey one's status as a bad ***. Frequent use of police codes when answering questions. When asked if you have any questions during the process, make sure they are firearms-related. When asked if you speak a foreign language, make sure they know you believe in the billiard table method of interrogation ("Knock them around a little, they will pick up more English!").

These are all well known techniques, guaranteed to help one stand out in the process.

Last edited by Kieth M.; 11-06-2014, 11:31 AM.
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Originally posted by saone View Post
                This may not be true for the big 1811 shops, but if you want into a smaller unit, it sure helps to know someone. With the caveat being that you still need to get through USAjobs and the HR screen.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk
                Wouldn't doubt that, smaller units have an easier time actually screening and hand picking who they want. Bigger units chug you through the system.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5914 users online. 353 members and 5561 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X