Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on FLETC in Glynco, GA..

Hello Everybody,

I'm pretty much on the tail end of my process with the United States Secret Service Uniform Division and could possible be in the January class of 2015. So, I was reading some of the PT requirements down in FLETC and I will admit that I am not in the best shape possible, but i'm still a little discouraged. If anyone wants to ask, I'm 6'4'' in the half and weigh 236 pounds. Most of my fat is in my torso area. As far as the training PT, will they train you to get you in proper shape down in FLETC (I will put in work as well)? FOr those who have already went down there, was it anyone in your class that wasn't in the best shape in the beginning, but eventually progressed and pass the PT requirements? Honestly, I just want to run on the track near my house to get prepared, so will that be a good preparation method before heading down there? Is the PT training intense and will you get in shape after being there for 12 weeks?

As far as getting down there, I want to actually drive down there, but my 07 Impala got over 100k miles and I don't want to take a chance of anything messing up, so I'm going to have to fly unfortunately. What are the disadvantages of not having a car down there?

As far as personal time, Are you allowed to have guest such as friends and family on your personal time?

To be honest, I want to do well down there and make the best of it, so i don't want to take any of this for granted. I really want to be prepared for the Secret Service training if I get through the training in Glynco, GA. The chin ups is the part that I am worried about.

Last question, how is the fire arms training down there? Are the teachers good as far as teaching less experienced users of a fire arm? Honestly, I know the simple basics of a fire arm (9mm), but I feel as though I need more improvement and a proper teacher that have tons of patience would help a lot.

Thanks to those who will read this in advance.
    Metropolitan Police Department (DC Police)
    Initial Application-5/29/13
    orientation-4/2/2014
    Mass Processing Day-6/13/15
    Email of Written Exam (Passed)-6/15/2015
    Background Investigator Assigned-6/30/15
    Medical Examination-7/18/15
    Psychological Examination-7/20/15
    Polygraph Examination-8/24/15
    Final Review-12/15/15
    THE CALL-12/22/15
    Academy Start Date-12/28/15

Do not be like my classmates who thought they would just get in shape at the academy. Those were the guys who ended up dehydrated, with Rhabdo, or vomiting in a trash can. Heck a couple of them injured themselves since their bodies were not used to exercise, and ended up having to go home. One failed the final PT test and lost her job.

The academy is in January, and it is not even November yet. That means that you have more than 2 full months to get ready.

If you are really serious about this job/career and being successful you will start hitting the gym as soon as possible. Not only that, but you need to change your diet and trim down. You could lose 10-15 pounds per month, meaning that by the time January arrives, you will be down 30 pounds.

I already know what you are thinking "It's holiday season!!!" Suck it up buddy, because no one at the academy will give a darn if you thought eating Thanksgiving Turkey, Christmas cookies and fruit cake was more important than a good job.

Also if you begin running and working out right now, by the time January comes around, you will have no issues with the PT. I would also suggest dropping any alcohol or tobacco to make the progress even better.

I was at FLETC for the first 4 weeks before I went home and got my car and drove it down. Simply put not having a car sucks. You feel like a prisoner in the place. Of course after you get your car down there, all of the sudden everyone who doesn't have a car is trying to bum a ride from you, and you become a taxi driver for your friends/classmates. Of course the ability to go get a meal outside of the chow hall every day if you want is more than worth it.

In terms of personal time, the academy is not like a military base, you can have guests and visitors. You will work the hours of day, and the evenings/weekends/holidays you are free to do whatever you want. The only thing is that your guests can not spend the night at FLETC.

In terms of firearms training. I had people in my academy class who had never shot a gun before. It took a little extra work to show them the basics, but the instructors were patient, and those people did just fine.

The truth is that FLETC was fun. It kind of reminds me of my college days, except when I went through, I was in my 30's.
    Last edited by Albert Wesker; 10-29-2014, 03:32 AM.
    Natural selection leaves the survivors stronger and better! Humans have escaped this winnowing for far too long!

Comment

Don't be that guy. You'll get extra special attention for 4:30am workouts by the USSS staff. ON TOP of your FLETC workouts, and your classes. High probability of injury and I've seen, some quit due to the stress involved.

Plus, you'll be on RTC staff's radar when you return from the UPTP program. With the level of scrutiny the agency is under, the standard is high for trainees.

Get in shape, don't have to worry about the remedial agency PT or worry about the FLETC PT.

I'd be working out like a beast, and eating like a saint.

Comment

It amazes me that the USSSUD suspended their physical fitness test for entry. Many are going to get a rude awakening.

In my opinion, you should already be prepared. But, not all of us are always on the same level as others. You have more than enough time to work up what you need to but it has to start now and you have to dedicate yourself day in and day out. Don't overdo yourself but push yourself. I won't beat a deadhorse with the other questions as others have answered it well.

Good luck with everything and I hope for the best in your favor.

Comment

Oh wow, well, I'm going to start running on the track. More insight is greatly welcome.
          orientation-4/2/2014
          Final Review-12/15/15
          THE CALL-12/22/15

Comment

Originally posted by FWD1987 View Post
            Hello Everybody,

I'm pretty much on the tail end of my process with the United States Secret Service Uniform Division and could possible be in the January class of 2015. So, I was reading some of the PT requirements down in FLETC and I will admit that I am not in the best shape possible, but i'm still a little discouraged. If anyone wants to ask, I'm 6'4'' in the half and weigh 236 pounds. Most of my fat is in my torso area. As far as the training PT, will they train you to get you in proper shape down in FLETC (I will put in work as well)? FOr those who have already went down there, was it anyone in your class that wasn't in the best shape in the beginning, but eventually progressed and pass the PT requirements? Honestly, I just want to run on the track near my house to get prepared, so will that be a good preparation method before heading down there? Is the PT training intense and will you get in shape after being there for 12 weeks?

As far as getting down there, I want to actually drive down there, but my 07 Impala got over 100k miles and I don't want to take a chance of anything messing up, so I'm going to have to fly unfortunately. What are the disadvantages of not having a car down there?

As far as personal time, Are you allowed to have guest such as friends and family on your personal time?

To be honest, I want to do well down there and make the best of it, so i don't want to take any of this for granted. I really want to be prepared for the Secret Service training if I get through the training in Glynco, GA. The chin ups is the part that I am worried about.

Last question, how is the fire arms training down there? Are the teachers good as far as teaching less experienced users of a fire arm? Honestly, I know the simple basics of a fire arm (9mm), but I feel as though I need more improvement and a proper teacher that have tons of patience would help a lot.

Thanks to those who will read this in advance.
            I concur with the previous posters. If you are going out car shopping, your research before you buy should not consist if looking at pretty car pictures only, you need to be educated, and your level of fitness right now is the equivalent of looking at pictures. You dont wait till the dealer is selling you a car to find out if its quality or not. Its all about preparedness. I cannot speak of the SSUD fitness standards ( or lack therof), but in general you dont join a FED agency in the hopes of getting in shape before you graduate, thats practically common sense.

As to the rest.....a car or a good friend with a car is practically a necessity.

Family can visit but have to leave base by xxx time.

Pull ups are a fickle b**ch. Some of the most in shape people cant do them and the scrawniest of people can. Its hard to set a standard on that.

Firearms instructors are very good. Bette rto go in there NOT knowing how to shoot and being trained than going in THINKING you know how to shoot from a three day civilian course and learning bad habits that then have to be unlearned. The biggest obstacles in training people to shoot are 1) fear of the gun, and 2) bad habits picked up by improper training and/or television.
            USMS Region 3
            Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
            Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
            Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
            BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
            Medical:2/15/10
            MedicalReview: 4/15/10
            FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
            Drug: 6/5/10
            Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
            Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
            Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
            Written: 12/27/10
            NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
            To:
            Medical:

Comment

I left the USSSUD years ago but in regards to PT it probably hasn't changed much.

I would be heavily focused on body weight exercises push, sit and pull up...if you max out on those categories you will breeze past PT exam...after those are completed you just need to run 1.5 miles. Not sure if it has changed but you needed 7 points post FLETC and 10 to graduate...with no zeros.

As others stated...don't be that guy! Dial in your diet and exercise...it is not that hard just need to be disciplined.

Oh...take your car.

Comment

If you have to ask about PT this late in the game, you should just remove your name from the candidate pool. You applied back in July and for some reason you are still worried about the PT portion of the job. Don't waste the Agency's time or yours if you are in the mindset that I'll just show up and fix my problems there. Turning to a forum to get advice as to what you should do to pass a VERY BASIC physical fitness test is a huge red flag. Your timeline shows that you've had plenty of time to sooth any and all concerns regarding physical fitness. Any basic free Google-Search workout program will result in obtaining a physical fitness level capable of showing up with an "Excellent" or "Good" on the Physical Fitness Evaluation (not the APAT...Which is a joke). Just in case you don't know, the PTE is different than the APAT.

You're applying for the Uniform Division of the Secret Service. You're not heading to a CAG/SF/LA SWAT selection. Even if you begin sport-specific training right now, you'll be able to max each event of the APAT and rack in 15-20 chin ups or pull ups (I'll have to disagree with JTL323's comment about pull ups. If you train for them, they come easy. In a month, a man or woman can go from zero to ten proper dead hangs with simple training. In two months or more, there is no reason why you cant be getting 15-20)... regardless of your current condition. That will ensure that you'll be ready to go when you get to FLETC.

Everything you do and fail to do will follow you throughout your career. Show up prepared or don't show up at all.

"Secret Service Uniformed Division officers provide protection for the White House Complex, the Vice President's residence, the main Treasury Building and Annex, and foreign diplomatic missions and embassies in the Washington, D.C., area. Additionally, Uniformed Division officers travel in support of presidential, vice presidential, and foreign head of state government missions. Uniformed Division officers are also responsible for the enforcement of mandated protective responsibilities as described under Title 18, United States Code, Section 3056A."

As for the rest of your questions, they've been answered. Another option for your vehicle is to have it shipped. ...Or make someone with a car your new BFF haha. Good luck.
                "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

Originally posted by M8541 Reaper View Post
                  If you train for them, they come easy. In a month, a man or woman can go from zero to ten proper dead hangs with simple training. In two months or more, there is no reason why you cant be getting 15-20)... regardless of your current condition. That will ensure that you'll be ready to go when you get to FLETC.
                  I agree here, most people fear the pull up because they simply do not like doing them and thus do not practice them. Practice the movements you will be tested on (as others have said) and dial in your diet. If you do those to things, you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by saone View Post
                    I agree here, most people fear the pull up because they simply do not like doing them and thus do not practice them. Practice the movements you will be tested on (as others have said) and dial in your diet. If you do those to things, you will be fine.
                    Exactly. I hate running. Like really really really hate running. But I do it because I know I'll need it. Not skipping leg day definitely helps too. Just hop up on the bar and start doing negatives until you can do full reps. No swinging/kipping/kicking. Just push through and do em right. Do that and your numbers will shoot up easily. It is easy to get to 10 from nothing. Over ten will take a little work but is easy to do.
                    "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

Exactly. I hate running. Like really really really hate running. But I do it because I know I'll need it. Not skipping leg day definitely helps too. Just hop up on the bar and start doing negatives until you can do full reps. No swinging/kipping/kicking. Just push through and do em right. Do that and your numbers will shoot up easily. It is easy to get to 10 from nothing. Over ten will take a little work but is easy to do.
                      So, in the USSS UD academy, you need atleast 10 to pass the PT requirements? That's not too bad.
                      orientation-4/2/2014
                      Final Review-12/15/15
                      THE CALL-12/22/15

Comment

So, in the USSS UD academy, you need atleast 10 to pass the PT requirements? That's not too bad.
                        Im sure their PT standards are on their website.. You might wanna find out as soon as you can.
                        Its Showtime! -- "The Icon" -- Sting.

Comment

Ten is a joke and not bad at all. Simple enough to get.

APAT: http://www.secretservice.gov/join/APAT-Guide.pdf
                          "The test is intended to evaluate an applicant’s strength, agility, endurance, and other physical capabilities based on the physical requirements needed upon entry into the Special Agent and Uniformed Division Officer jobs."

PFE: http://www.secretservice.gov/join/im...FlierFinal.pdf
                          "This hand-out has been designed to educate the reader on the United States Secret Service Physical Fitness standards and the proper protocols necessary to accomplish those standards. Recruits who will be attending training at the James J. Rowley Training Center (JJRTC) are expected to arrive in good physical condition, ready to begin a functional fitness program."
                          Last edited by M8541 Reaper; 10-29-2014, 02:27 PM. Reason: paragraph format

Comment

PT.... Like mentioned do what you can now it will pay off in the end(plenty of people in my class worked out everyday since the PT there wasn't as intense with our instructor)

Car... Bring one it sucks without one even if you know people in your class sometimes you may want to get away on your own

Firearms... Great instructors and you will be fine

and Congrats

Comment

What he said on hopping up on the pull-up bar and doing negatives or even flexed arm hangs to start then slowly working up to a pull-up.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8481 users online. 343 members and 8138 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X