300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smithsonian Institution Police

I saw that the Smithsonian is hiring police officers for the National Zoological Park. I was wondering if anyone had any personal insight as to the level of "activity" one experiences or if its more of a security gig?

Also, I emailed HR to see if they allow an education substitute since I don't have the specialized experience yet.

Here is the job posting for those interested: https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/384639600
    Stupid is as stupid does. Sometimes people win the Darwin Award.

I don't work there, but from the times I have been to the zoo it seems like more of a security gig. With that said, I would bet that there is a decent level of activity based on the sheer number of people that are at the zoo on a given day. With that many people filtering in and out, you are bound to have a few idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by saone View Post
      I don't work there, but from the times I have been to the zoo it seems like more of a security gig. With that said, I would bet that there is a decent level of activity based on the sheer number of people that are at the zoo on a given day. With that many people filtering in and out, you are bound to have a few idiots.
      Thanks for the reply. That does provide some insight. Also I got a reply back from HR saying there is no substitute for education.

Comment

I noticed this wording in the listing:

SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:

Incumbent is required to qualify annually (at a minimum) with the standard security force firearm and ASP Baton. Failure to re-qualify will result in removal from the position.
        All applicants appointed to Law Enforcement positions must attend and successfully complete a five week training program and pass the written tests at the end of the training period. Applicants who fail to successfully meet this requirement will be subject to termination.
        You must not have a history of domestic violence or child abuse/sexual abuse.
        You must be able to become CPR and First Aid qualified and have the ability to read and understand written material in language of the security force.
        Sounds like a security officer job.
        Originally posted by RSGSRT
        We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
        Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Most federal law enforcement is more security related. Just the nature of the beast. Park police, land management, national park, and Indian affairs have more of the typical law enforcement work as most think.

Comment

Originally posted by eaker995 View Post
            Most federal law enforcement is more security related. Just the nature of the beast. Park police, land management, national park, and Indian affairs have more of the typical law enforcement work as most think.
            I understand that. But the post specifically uses the words "security" and only states a 5 week academy. Sounds like more of a "special police" than a full fledged police like the U.S. Park Police. Hopefully, someone can comment further who is "in the know"...
            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

I hadn't noticed that in the listing, I saw the qualify with firearm, but must have overlooked the security forces part. I also noticed earlier it said "The employee provides law enforcement and security activities involved in the protection of life and property exclusively within the boundaries of the Park." So that should have clued me in a little bit too I guess.

Comment

Zoo Cops go thru FLETC....I know that for a fact as I have friends working there.

Its a good gig if you are into more security than LE work......
                Last edited by Bearcat357; 10-25-2014, 12:46 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                  Zoo Cops go thru FLETC....I know that for face as I have friends working there.

Its a good gig if you are into more security than LE work......
                  Is it a full police academy at FLETC? I'm confused by the '5 week' duration.

Comment

I too thought zoo police went to FLETC and the UPTP is close to 3 months long. The 5 week could be an in house program or they have pulled away from FLETC and just doing it themselves. Either way, it does make you wonder.

Oh and from your last reply to me, the police at my agency work under the Security Manager in the Office of Security. We are police and at one time were considered "special police" but that has changed. I've been trying to find out more on the zoo police, authority, CFR, etc and if I find it again, I'll post it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
                      Is it a full police academy at FLETC? I'm confused by the '5 week' duration.
                      No clue...I am awaiting en email back from my buddy that works there.....

Comment

No clue...I am awaiting en email back from my buddy that works there.....
                        That'll be interesting to hear back from. FLETC still lists the NZPP as being trained there. I found the MOU with MPD were they can patrol and provide law enforcement around the zoo grounds and property. Perhaps the 5 week course is for certification with MPD to meet the MOU requirements.

MOU- http://mpdc.dc.gov/page/cooperative-...l-zoo-and-mpdc
                        NZPP fact sheet- http://www.ops.si.edu/doc/OPS_Fact%20Sheet-public.pdf
                        FLETC-https://www.fletc.gov/current-partners
                        Pay bands- http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/te...temp_noupdates
                        Authority- http://corpuslegalis.com/us/code/tit...gs-and-grounds
                        Last edited by eaker995; 10-25-2014, 02:06 PM.

Comment

From what I was told, it was written that way so Smitsonian Guards could apply for the positions and they could give them in house training to meet FLETC requirements.....

Take it for what it's worth....but that came from a Zoo Supervisor.....

Comment

From what I was told, it was written that way so Smitsonian Guards could apply for the positions and they could give them in house training to meet FLETC requirements.....

Gotcha - thanks for clearing it up.

Comment

From what I was told, it was written that way so Smithsonian Guards could apply for the positions and they could give them in house training to meet FLETC requirements.....

Lots of helpful information has been posted. With this it would almost seem like they are more looking for transfers then? Or maybe I'm over thinking it and it was just so that the opportunity was available to them if needed.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5912 users online. 222 members and 5690 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X