300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resume review

I was just wondering if there was anyone who would be interested in reviewing my resume and discussing potential career opportunities or pointing me in the direction of someone who would be willing to do so.

Thanks for any help

I would not post my resume on an internet forum dude, nor ask someone on the forum to review it. I am sure you know someone personally that can help you. Once you put something on the internet, it's there forever. Look up tips online and find someone you trust to look at your resume. Just my .02. Good luck either way.

Comment

Unless you are applying with the feds, most city/county/state agencies do not hire by resume. Instead, hiring is usually done by competitive written and oral testing.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

If you are looking for entry level police work, a resume is uselss unless you are applying for non civil service positions.

Comment

I agree with the above, most dept wont ask for a resuem, as they will have preformatted forms to complete, and then a standardized hiring process. if they do want a resume, an internet search will provide several good formats that can be downloaded in a word document (or similar) which you can than complete with your personal info. having down background checks and HR work prior to law enforcement, my one bit of advice on a resume is keep in short. highlight the important stuff, then add a FEW bullet points. resumes that get too wordy will be tossed aside. when there are tons of applicants to look over, no one wants to read a novel.
          VIRES VIRTUS MORES

Comment

On top of what others have said - I know that lots of people on this forum love to post where they've applied and their timelines - but I think you (and others) should erase that from your sig line. Just a thought.
            Originally posted by RSGSRT
            We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
            Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by Aerohead View Post
              On top of what others have said - I know that lots of people on this forum love to post where they've applied and their timelines - but I think you (and others) should erase that from your sig line. Just a thought.
              I don't understand why anyone does that.

Comment

So on everyone's advice I removed the information from my signature line. However, that still leaves the bigger issue unresolved.

Basically the situation is this, even though I am applying for multiple agencies as a police officer, I am still unsure about whether or not I am fully cut out for that job. As such, I have been looking into civilian positions within law enforcement as a backup plan. I was basically wondering if someone could tell me, given my qualifications, what types of civilian jobs I would be best qualified for, maybe some positions that aren't immediately obvious.

I have tried asking people that I know, and unfortunately they are unable to be of much help, as they either do not know anything about the law enforcement field, or implicitly suggest staying at part-time, no benefit/insurance positions for indefinite lengths of time

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                  I don't understand why anyone does that.
                  Right? Apparently everyone is who they say they are online and no one is ever out to gather information. ...especially on aspiring, current, and/or former LE/Govt personnel.

For the OP:

There might be an easier way to find other career paths out there rather than asking strangers to review a resume and offer advice. Just because your qualifications are XYZ doesn't mean you'll enjoy fields that are made up of those with similar quals. Best advice is to do your own research and make your own decision as to what is best for you. Google is your best friend, especially seeing as how it is 2014 and the world is only .032 seconds away at any given time.

Every department has a listing of positions within it. Go to each of those positions and read up on them. If it interests you, look further into it and see what requirements you need to apply. Reaching out to the department's recruiter is a good way to get up-to-date information.

Not to sound abrasive... but you're the only one who knows what you would be good at or take pleasure in pursuing. As for being qualified, every job out there has a list of requirements that can be found online. Everything from Janitor to Chief may easily be found if you just type it into that little white box on Google.

This shouldn't have to be said but... always be sure to maintain PERSEC. Especially in the LE/Govt field.

Just my five dollars and twenty cents worth of advice.
                  "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

What is most of your experience in? What do you like to do? Have you gone on ride alongs to see if you want to be a cop before applying?

I'm not understanding your questions.
                    Originally posted by RSGSRT
                    We've reached a point where natural selection doesn't have a chance in hell of keeping up with the procreation of imbeciles.
                    Why is it acceptable for you to be an idiot, but not acceptable for me to point it out?

Comment

Originally posted by vc859 View Post
                      So on everyone's advice I removed the information from my signature line. However, that still leaves the bigger issue unresolved.

Basically the situation is this, even though I am applying for multiple agencies as a police officer, I am still unsure about whether or not I am fully cut out for that job. As such, I have been looking into civilian positions within law enforcement as a backup plan. I was basically wondering if someone could tell me, given my qualifications, what types of civilian jobs I would be best qualified for, maybe some positions that aren't immediately obvious.

I have tried asking people that I know, and unfortunately they are unable to be of much help, as they either do not know anything about the law enforcement field, or implicitly suggest staying at part-time, no benefit/insurance positions for indefinite lengths of time
                      How old or oldish are you? I don't think it's a matter of "are you cut out for the job" that's something they'll train you for. It seems like you simply need to find out "what you want to do" so that you can take the right steps to get there. Just remember that not everyone takes the direct path to the job or career they end up loving.

Comment

So I have it hasn't been too long that I let this Thread sit, but basically this is the situation. When I refer to not being sure if LE is for me, I mean that I am not really that physical of a person. I am working and improving greatly on my fitness level, but I have no idea how I would be handle an all out fight, like trying to protect your weapon.

As such I have been looking into civilian positions. Unfortunately, around here those are pretty much limited to dispatcher and clerk/secretary positions, usually part-time, etc

That is why I feel sometimes like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with this

Comment

Trust me on one point....your resume means absolutely jack **** about whether or not you are " cut out for the job". This is t accounting, this isn't rooms to go sales job, this is policing and street warfare. If you seriously have to question whether you can handle it, then you can't. If you're worried only about getting the job over someone else, that's a viable concern, but as corny as it sounds, policing is in your heart, not on paper. A Doberman isnt a Doberman because his pedigree says he is, he just IS. Same with a cop. You ARE even before you are.
                          USMS Region 3
                          Info Session: Aug 2009 (Atlanta)
                          Interview: 10/26/09 (Atlanta)
                          Conditional Offer: 1/15/10
                          BackgroundInt: 2/1/10
                          Medical:2/15/10
                          MedicalReview: 4/15/10
                          FIT: 5/10/10 (Excellent)
                          Drug: 6/5/10
                          Fletc: APRIL 6, 2011!!!
                          Duty Station: Laredo,Tx

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
                          Border Patrol AgentApplied: 11/15/10
                          Written: 12/27/10
                          NOR: 12/29/10 (96)
                          To:
                          Medical:

Comment

When I refer to not being sure if LE is for me, I mean that I am not really that physical of a person. I am working and improving greatly on my fitness level, but I have no idea how I would be handle an all out fight, like trying to protect your weapon.
                            ^This pretty much answers your question. I may harp a lot on physical fitness throughout these forums, however I've spent my entire professional life where physical fitness is key IOT make it home safe. For local law enforcement, hell any profession that requires you to be armed for that matter, physical fitness needs to be a way of life and not just something you do to pass a test or screening. Failure to maintain PT as a way of life, can ultimately lead to the death or serious bodily harm of yourself, your coworkers, or innocent civilians.

Your mindset is right on par with your physical capabilities. You can be the most motivated LE professional but if you cant protect yourself or others, then it is useless. At the same time, you can be a PT stud and be a complete sh*tbag who ultimately places himself and others in danger.

JTL323 hit it right on the head.

There is nothing wrong with not being cut out for a certain profession. Best thing you can do is think about what interests you and look into those career fields. Once you have that list, do the Pros and Cons of each and then knock out some research.

Good luck.
                            "Independent research, reading comprehension, & a firm grasp of reality saves lives."

Comment

You're only stuck between a rock and a hard place because you allow yourself to be there. If you're not physically fit, get physically fit. When I say it's not hard, I mean I find it much easier to get into shape and bulk up than it is to take a strenuous exam at a college. It's always been that way for me, i'm not talking about maxing out a measly PFT with the federal or military agencies, that should be baseline, i'm talking about exceeding that.

If this is what you want to be, don't let anything stop you, especially something petty as physical fitness. Get in shape, you'll probably get more job offers too and you'll feel better.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9711 users online. 326 members and 9385 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X