Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You are qualified to participate in the examination for Police Officer!?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You are qualified to participate in the examination for Police Officer!?

This is the letter I have received! When I told my mom this morning she was so happy, I was like, mom am I dreaming? haha, So this means my path in becoming a Police Officer is real and I'm on good tracks?

If so, I feel so unknown to this, I have been studying some stuff before hand and watched videos and getting educated in this field in Youtube and so on, I wasn't really expecting an answer any sooner, because I thought that they (civil services dept.) would give an answer to people after the position fillings would've been closed, or at least that's what I thought, thus I waited to see what happened, after a long period of waiting (1 year approx.), now I received this letter with this incredible answer I was waiting for so long, I'm currently studying Dental Assistant because I thought that (police officer app) was a lost case, and I was gonna never make it in, so I started taking Dental Assistant, but If I really have to quit in dentistry, I will jump to law enforcement, because I feel that was my dream from childhood, I always said to my parents: "When I grow up I wanna be a police officer." and I really grew up with that.

Yeah, that's just a bit about my life, so what you guys recommend / suggest? I'm starting to study hard on this. Also the letter says Open Competitive Exam. but the study guide is on NCJOSI (National Criminal Justice Officer Selection Inventory) I'm just new to that term for that agency, but are they the ones in charge preparing Police Officers right?

Thanks for reading, and participating in this thread, and for any further help given to me.

Be Blessed.
    Last edited by AbdiSan; 10-12-2014, 02:02 PM.

The letter means you meet the minimum qualifications necessary for admission to the testing process. The fact that you waited so long means they were still hiring off an old list that was yet to be exhausted. No doubt they are getting to the end of the old hiring list and are scheduling a new test to create a fresh hiring list.

Buried in the fine print of the exam announcement they should tell you what the written and oral will test you on. Read it carefully and study those subjects.

Generally speaking, orals usually score you on one or more of these areas:

• Experience – assesses your ability and experience in accepting responsibilities and performing assigned tasks as demonstrated through achievements in work, school, and other activities.

• Problem Solving – assesses your reasoning skills in developing timely, logical responses to a wide variety of situations and problems.

• Communication Skills – assesses your oral communications skills, which includes speaking, listening, and non-verbal communication.

• Interest/Motivation – addresses your interest in and preparedness for the peace officer job. It includes an assessment of your general level of interest, initiative, and goal orientation.

• Interpersonal Skills – assesses many facets, such as social knowledge/appropriateness, social insight, empathy, social influence, social self-regulation, sociability, team orientation, social self-confidence, conflict management skills, and negotiating skills.

• Community Involvement/Awareness – focuses specifically on your experiences and interest in community issues, as well as your interest in and ability to fill multiple roles and serve a diverse community.

Understand that police departments are budgeted to employ a specific number of people. A new person cannot be hired until an existing person quits, retires, gets fired, promotes, demotes, or dies, creating a vacancy. So just because you pass the test doesn't mean you are going to be hired right away.

More than likely your written and oral scores will be combined and applicants will be hired in the order of their scores (highest first, next highest second, etc.)

Once testing is over it is important to find out where you are on the list, how long the list is good for and how many people they expect to hire during the life of the list. This will give you an idea as to where you stand. For example, if you are number 20 on the list, they expect to hire 40 people during the life of the list and the list is good for two years, it may take them a year to get to you. OTOH, if you are number 80 on the list, it will probably expire before you are reachable and you will know to keep testing with other agencies.

Best of luck!
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

It sounds like you've applied to a local police department, right? Go on a ride along so you have a better view of the job, albeit a snapshot heavily dependent on the officer you ride with. Also, post about yourself and application in the state specific part of these forums. Better yet, you will probably find a thread specific to your agency. Although all are welcome to post in this section of the forums, it tends to weigh more towards federal jobs. Whatever agency you apply for, the law enforcement job process is usually lengthy. Apply to other agencies, and move on with your life. That means looking for work and developing a good worth ethic, relationships, etc. Your background investigator will talk to your employers, so make sure they only have good things to say about you. Are you ethical? Self starter? A leader? Etc. You'll also need life experience to talk about during the interview. Good luck.

Comment

Amazing! thanks for the insight on what I will be encountering ahead in the next days, I will surely study everything, and hopefully I get on the top scores so I can save a space for me if by any chances of life any position becomes available!

Best Regards
        AbdiSan

Comment

Originally posted by clerkofoc View Post
          It sounds like you've applied to a local police department, right? Go on a ride along so you have a better view of the job, albeit a snapshot heavily dependent on the officer you ride with. Also, post about yourself and application in the state specific part of these forums. Better yet, you will probably find a thread specific to your agency. Although all are welcome to post in this section of the forums, it tends to weigh more towards federal jobs. Whatever agency you apply for, the law enforcement job process is usually lengthy. Apply to other agencies, and move on with your life. That means looking for work and developing a good worth ethic, relationships, etc. Your background investigator will talk to your employers, so make sure they only have good things to say about you. Are you ethical? Self starter? A leader? Etc. You'll also need life experience to talk about during the interview. Good luck.
          Thanks for your reply as well clerkofoc, all this information is extremely helpful in front of me, this is very appreciated!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10528 users online. 499 members and 10029 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X