Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for TSA Payscale Explained

Hey guys,

I'm currently in federal law enforcement and I'm curious of how the TSA pay scale works. I'm interested in their Explosive Detection Canine Handler position but I'm not planning to make any moves if the money isn't equal or more. I have passion to work with dogs, and was thinking it may be a good move to get off the southern border and to an area of my liking. I'm still currently trying to get on with K-9 with my agency, but until more openings populate, I'm keeping my options open. But I'm looking at an announcement, (just an example) and the pay scale for H says: $55,605.00 to $86,164.00
    https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/380939600

Now, does that mean I start at $55 and have a possibility to promote to $86? Or do I negotiate a salary within those means?

That's what is confusing me at the moment.

Extra Credit: Before I do my own research, could anyone explain any of the differences of LE retirement vs the retirement of a Canine Handler for TSA.

Thanks in advance guys!

Originally posted by jb2257
    it means that depending on your experience, your starting salary can be anywhere between those two numbers. generally people come in the bottom number.
    Thanks for the reply. But, how do you get up towards that $86k a year? Can you even get to that amount? What pay band does a canine handler go up to?

Comment

See below comments for full information...
      Last edited by bayranger; 09-20-2014, 03:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bayranger View Post
        If it has a top range listed in the announcement you will eventually top out at around that amount non competitively depending on your locality pay. Takes generally about 18 years to work through 10 steps of a scale, again depending on where you start. That info goes with any fed listing.
        I don't know specifically about canine handler but if you start at lower grade you'll work your way up the next grade each year until you hit the top grade, then work through the steps until you top out at that listed salary.

Thank you for your reply. You answered most of my question. But also what I'm trying to get at is, let's say I start at the $55k, what would be my pay the next following year? I'm just confused because right now, I'm on the GS pay scale, and we go up to a GS-12 around $70+ k a year after being in the agency 3-4 years.

So with my agency, lets say I started off as a GS-05 making $31k a year, the following year GS-07 at $39, then GS-09 at $47k, then so on and so forth till I'm a GS-12.

If I start off at $55k a year, what are the yearly (or however the pay scale works) pay increases? If I'm in for a year, would my pay jump to $65K, etc etc?

Hope you understand what I am trying to say.

Comment

Hmm... Researched some more. Whereas it is true that it's the equivalent of the GS 11/12 level, it's not the same process where you receive steps throughout the grade annually. It seems that GS>SV.
          Read through this chat on federal soup.
          https://forum.federalsoup.com/defaul...=posts&t=32485

Comment

It means you start somewhere between the two, more than likely closer to the bottom. There are no Steps in the SV scale. However, sometimes you get bonuses. The top amount means that with bonuses, you will not exceed that amount, unless you get promoted to the next grade (which would be I in your example). H to I is almost always automatic.

Comment

Be fair warned that the TSA EDCH jobs almost always go to an internal TSA candidate.

Comment

Originally posted by r3gul8r View Post
                Hey guys,

I'm currently in federal law enforcement and I'm curious of how the TSA pay scale works. I'm interested in their Explosive Detection Canine Handler position but I'm not planning to make any moves if the money isn't equal or more. I have passion to work with dogs, and was thinking it may be a good move to get off the southern border and to an area of my liking. I'm still currently trying to get on with K-9 with my agency, but until more openings populate, I'm keeping my options open. But I'm looking at an announcement, (just an example) and the pay scale for H says: $55,605.00 to $86,164.00
                https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/380939600

Now, does that mean I start at $55 and have a possibility to promote to $86? Or do I negotiate a salary within those means?

That's what is confusing me at the moment.
                Alright, so I'll give you the down and dirty of the TSA Pay Band system. Pay Banding is all about "pay for performance". You don't get automatic "step increases" like most other pay systems that are out there. In fact, there are no STEPS. It was a system that was created by the FAA and adopted by TSA that requires employees to get good end-of-year evaluations in order to get their pay increased. Normally the idea here would be to negotiate your starting pay to be somewhere in the middle to higher range of the pay band. Only because you can only make so much money in each pay band and you don't want to top out early on and never get any pay increases for the rest of your career. However, the promotion potential of that job is H; which means you will not get anything more than $86,164 unless you do overtime, apply for another job that is within an I-Band, or move to a higher cost of living area. They do increase the pay bands across the board occasionally to accommodate for inflation and cost of living but that has been very little these past few years. So, best advice for you is to be extremely aggressive in negotiating starting pay and keep an eye out for I-Band Canine jobs. I-band is the highest you can go "non-supervisory" for the most part. There are a few instances you can get to J-Band without being a supervisor but those are few and far between.

Originally posted by r3gul8r View Post
                Extra Credit: Before I do my own research, could anyone explain any of the differences of LE retirement vs the retirement of a Canine Handler for TSA.
                I think this more of a question between LE Retirement and Civilian Retirement. As you probably already know Fed LE retirement is 6c for the most part and allows you to be eligible for retirement at 20 years and be fully vested at 25yrs. Fed Civilian retirement puts that full divestment at 30yrs service or 60yrs old. So basically, if you aren't a gun toter in TSA then you will be able to retire at 30 yrs service. If you are a gun toter then you can be out at 20-25 yrs. If it doesn't make sense then let me know........especially about pay banding. I could go all day about that.

Comment

Originally posted by patriot772 View Post
                  Alright, so I'll give you the down and dirty of the TSA Pay Band system. Pay Banding is all about "pay for performance". You don't get automatic "step increases" like most other pay systems that are out there. In fact, there are no STEPS. It was a system that was created by the FAA and adopted by TSA that requires employees to get good end-of-year evaluations in order to get their pay increased. Normally the idea here would be to negotiate your starting pay to be somewhere in the middle to higher range of the pay band. Only because you can only make so much money in each pay band and you don't want to top out early on and never get any pay increases for the rest of your career. However, the promotion potential of that job is H; which means you will not get anything more than $86,164 unless you do overtime, apply for another job that is within an I-Band, or move to a higher cost of living area. They do increase the pay bands across the board occasionally to accommodate for inflation and cost of living but that has been very little these past few years. So, best advice for you is to be extremely aggressive in negotiating starting pay and keep an eye out for I-Band Canine jobs. I-band is the highest you can go "non-supervisory" for the most part. There are a few instances you can get to J-Band without being a supervisor but those are few and far between.

I think this more of a question between LE Retirement and Civilian Retirement. As you probably already know Fed LE retirement is 6c for the most part and allows you to be eligible for retirement at 20 years and be fully vested at 25yrs. Fed Civilian retirement puts that full divestment at 30yrs service or 60yrs old. So basically, if you aren't a gun toter in TSA then you will be able to retire at 30 yrs service. If you are a gun toter then you can be out at 20-25 yrs. If it doesn't make sense then let me know........especially about pay banding. I could go all day about that.
                  My man just shut this thread down. Game over. Next question, please...

Comment

Originally posted by bayranger View Post
                    My man just shut this thread down. Game over. Next question, please...
                    *drop the mic* LOL :-)

Comment

Excellent replies guys! I appreciate it all your time. You guys have definitely answered all my questions. Putting in for it and just going to see what happens. Also trying to get on with K-9 in my own agency. So if K-9 gets filled by other officers, then I'll also have this to wait for as well.

Thanks again.

Comment

So you did apply?

Originally posted by bcmking3 View Post
                        Be fair warned that the TSA EDCH jobs almost always go to an internal TSA candidate.
                        Just wondering, because I thought the link said only open to current TSA employees. Are you with TSA already or a local p.d.?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5914 users online. 362 members and 5552 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X