X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • backpacker7
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2014

Concerned with Background Process

So here is my dilemma. I am in process for a sheriff office in Nevada. I am about to begin the backgrounds stage and am a little concerned. I guess I could put it that I have been dealt a little “too much life.” I will break it down by category… I don’t think I will pass..

Employment

Currently have a government job with a lot of responsibility but I have only been in it for about a year. Prior I had about 20 jobs (I am 29) in my life. A few of those I left without notice… The two years prior to my current position I was very spotty cause I had just gone through a divorce which made me have to quit a good paying job to remain in the same town as my son. I literally bounced jobs if it paid a dollar more because I had a mortgage to pay. Now I am firmly on my feet and remarried.

Credit

Bankruptcy in 2007 due to my first sons birth. Credit was rebuilt and I bought a home within two years. Then with my divorce, my ex got her car repossessed which was in my name and I was strapped so my credit is at a 570. I have made improvement and only a few things are in collections.

Police Departments Applied For

I have applied for 16 departments in my lifetime. Of those I only tested for about 6 because I wasn’t able to get time off or the dept went on a freeze. Of those 6, I was on a hiring list for one, didn’t pass my oral for 2, two I didn’t pass my written, and one I was DQ’s in backgrounds over a date discrepancy.

With all this said… I have never been arrested or done drugs. I have had some speeding tickets and my wonderful mother in law called the cops on me because my wife and I were arguing. They came to the house for DV but no report was taken.

IM REALLY STRESSING OUT. I know im a good guy but I do have a lot to explain… Am I wasting my time?
  • backpacker7
    Forum Member
    • Aug 2014

Anybody.........????

Comment

• PSOSAC
      Forum Member
      • Aug 2012

Life happens to all of us. IMO It's all going to come down to how well you are able to articulate your past.
      Last edited by PSOSAC; 09-09-2014, 02:05 PM. Reason: I'm a dummy and didn't read the entire post before responding

Comment

• saone
        perpetual applicant
        • Mar 2012

The single best thing you can do in the near term is to get your bills that are in collections into some type of repayment plan; for now, showing that you are making strides to repay the debt will go a long way.

The multiple job situation is one you will have to explain. You have a good reason for job hopping, hopefully you will get a chance to articulate it. Leaving without notice is not a "security concern" but I honestly don't know how it will be viewed.

BTW, all my experience is at the federal level, it may be viewed very differently when applying for local LE.

Comment

• backpacker7
          Forum Member
          • Aug 2014

Ya that's what I am hoping. Just hope they don't dismiss it due to all the work they'll have to do to verify...

Comment

• TheDamonFactor
            Freedom Fighter
            • Aug 2014

I will only speak to my experience, which is at the federal level.

Generally jobs that you held do not really matter. We list them so that we know what you have been doing. The reason we ask for people who know you well and for your current employer is to find out what type of person you are. I have not known background investigators to speak to places where you were previously working unless you were terminated for negative circumstances.

As far as credit is concerned most of the time bankruptcy can hurt your candiacy but I have found if you come clean about your problems and are showing a positive trend then it will sometimes be overlooked if you are a strong candidate.

As for the possible DV, its depends.

To get right down to it, so to speak, they might have a guy with no known issues and he gets hired before you almost everytime. If they are strapped for people (which most of the sheriffs departments in the hampton roads area are) they might be willing to make exceptions or overlook a slightly unfavorable background. Again everything depends on the department, manpower, money, applicant pool, and other variables. I would say be honest, work hard, show positive progression, and apply.

Comment

• backpacker7
              Forum Member
              • Aug 2014

They are all small "dead end" jobs when I was young... Min wage part time stuff. Never ditched a career type job.

Comment

• backpacker7
                Forum Member
                • Aug 2014

Ya there was no DV. I will pass on the poly with that. Just an accusation from my mother in law who was 600 miles away. My wife even told the officers no. That's why there was no report taken.

Comment

• TopGun87
                  Globe Trekker
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by backpacker7
                  So here is my dilemma. I am in process for a sheriff office in Nevada. I am about to begin the backgrounds stage and am a little concerned. I guess I could put it that I have been dealt a little “too much life.” I will break it down by category… I don’t think I will pass..

Employment

Currently have a government job with a lot of responsibility but I have only been in it for about a year. Prior I had about 20 jobs (I am 29) in my life. A few of those I left without notice… The two years prior to my current position I was very spotty cause I had just gone through a divorce which made me have to quit a good paying job to remain in the same town as my son. I literally bounced jobs if it paid a dollar more because I had a mortgage to pay. Now I am firmly on my feet and remarried.

Credit

Bankruptcy in 2007 due to my first sons birth. Credit was rebuilt and I bought a home within two years. Then with my divorce, my ex got her car repossessed which was in my name and I was strapped so my credit is at a 570. I have made improvement and only a few things are in collections.

Police Departments Applied For

I have applied for 16 departments in my lifetime. Of those I only tested for about 6 because I wasn’t able to get time off or the dept went on a freeze. Of those 6, I was on a hiring list for one, didn’t pass my oral for 2, two I didn’t pass my written, and one I was DQ’s in backgrounds over a date discrepancy.

With all this said… I have never been arrested or done drugs. I have had some speeding tickets and my wonderful mother in law called the cops on me because my wife and I were arguing. They came to the house for DV but no report was taken.

IM REALLY STRESSING OUT. I know im a good guy but I do have a lot to explain… Am I wasting my time?
                  I thought my background was jacked up.... Just kidding

Honesty and frankness will help you explain your situation. You can emphasize your divorce and relationship with your son being a driving factor for you 20+ jobs.
                  The only easy day was yesterday. - BUDS Instructor

Comment

• backpacker7
                    Forum Member
                    • Aug 2014

Lol ya. I have a great job so im going all in. And ya while filling out the packet I felt like a total POS. LOL

Comment

• backpacker7
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2014

What do u mean

Comment

• BNWS
                        Forum Member
                        • Sep 2009

You're a saint compared to this guy.

A retired police commander kept a stunning secret for more than two decades: Before joining the NYPD, he peddled crack, tried to murder a fellow drug dealer and was close pals with a notorious cop …

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20559 users online. 55 members and 20504 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...